15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    You make sense but Casey doesn't. Ross will get playing time because Casey doesn't hate him like Johnson or Fields. Lowry, Lou and GV will be the problem.
    I find this Casey hate is retarded, nothing personnal.

Both Ross and JV made strides from their rookie seasons. Every young players that was put between Casey hands has developped to be a better player than originally thought. If they don't play as much as the veterans it is quite simple : repeat the same mistake over and over again, you're out. Ross and JV were 2 of the slowest raptors rotation wise and Casey likes team D better than personnal D.

You want casey to play more a gassed JV? You wan't Ross to be broken down physically due to his handling of heavier and stronger forwards?
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      Good point. So should we be worried about James Johnson and Lou Williams getting all of Ross's minutes?
      In a word: yes

Comment

Ross will get minutes. He's proven he can start (as opposed to proving he's a starter, which is not quite the same thing - Ross hasn't quite made the case that he's an NBA starter, as opposed to being a high-quality rotation guy, and this season probably set his rep down one way or the other) and Casey's job is secure now, so he doesn't have to go into panic mode and play vets.

More to the point, Ross spaces the floor for the starting five, which gives DeMar more driving opportunities and gives Jonas more opportunity in the paint. James Johnson is good at lots of things, but he's crap at shooting, and the Raps need a shooter in their starting five other than at point guard.

I know people get frustrated with Casey, but the guy is a solid coach - he's never going to be a top tier offensive mind, but he knows D, he knows how to motivate players and get them to buy into his system, and he knows the basics of NBA offensive ball at least. I mean, come on, the guy managed to build a working relationship with Kyle Lowry. Nobody else in the league has ever managed that.

Comment

At the same time Terrence does need to step it up and become more consistent. If he isn't playing well and isn't giving enough effort, Lou and/or Johnson will get playing time over him and I'm not mad at that. We are still trying to win at the end of the day.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

As an aside, if we can't get Bebe (and it appears we're in a bidding war with other Euro teams trying to buy him out, although he wants to come here), we still shouldn't go after a veteran center. We have our starting center, we have our vet backup who can teach you center-tricks, so the third slot should go to a young player who can learn from Hayes and hopefully become an asset himself.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              As an aside, if we can't get Bebe (and it appears we're in a bidding war with other Euro teams trying to buy him out, although he wants to come here), we still shouldn't go after a veteran center. We have our starting center, we have our vet backup who can teach you center-tricks, so the third slot should go to a young player who can learn from Hayes and hopefully become an asset himself.
              I disagree...I think if Bebe stays another year in Europe we should go after a vet C like Okafor or Blatche on a 2 year contract cause its insurance for a JV injury...a vast improvement over Hayes/Hansbrough plus is another contract that would drop off the books for the 2016 Durant sweepstakes...

Also I'm pretty sure that unless the PHX situation suddenly makes Ennis available...Kabongo who got a look at SL, is likely getting a training camp invite, and is practicing with Team Canada at the ACC right now..and could potential make the final roster for Team Canada's 11 game tour this summer...plus comes with a great story is the favourite to get the 3rd PG if they go that route...

Comment

we only have room for a vet minimum
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Somebody mentioned Kwame Brown as a joke on another thread but he last played for the 76ers and fits as 3rd C under 1M / 1yr

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Somebody mentioned Kwame Brown as a joke on another thread but he last played for the 76ers and fits as 3rd C under 1M / 1yr
                    He also doesn't really fit since ideally your depth players are guys who can move up a spot on the depth chart in case of injuries. Kwame was rarely an NBA calibre big man. I don't see what he really would add to the roster at all.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      He also doesn't really fit since ideally your depth players are guys who can move up a spot on the depth chart in case of injuries. Kwame was rarely an NBA calibre big man. I don't see what he really would add to the roster at all.
                      He was signed to a 2 yr / 6M deal before 76ers went full on tank. He can be 7ft tall and plays good D but has no offense.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        He was signed to a 2 yr / 6M deal before 76ers went full on tank. He can be 7ft tall and plays good D but has no offense.
                        Well he didn't play at all last year. There is no good reason at all to sign Kwame Brown. He's 32 years old and has never showed anything worthwhile as an NBA big man. He has size....he doesn't have a good bball IQ, good motor or any one skill that is easy to utilize. I'd rather sign pretty much any younger 7 footer over him. At worst they'd be about the same, and maybe they can be something better.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          lol, are you serious?
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Off the top of my head I'd sign any of these bigs over Kwame Brown....

Okafor
                            Brand
                            Stiemsma
                            Udoh
                            Bachynski
                            Gustavo Ayon
                            Greg Oden

I'd even rather Oden and his constant injuries. At least you can be optimistic about what he brings if he is healthy enough to play. Most of these guys are at least younger than Brown, most of them also better in at least one way, and the only completely unproven one at the NBA level, Bachynski, is a big body who probably can't be any worse than Brown was.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                              lol, are you serious?
                              Yup, Jermain O'Neal and Okafor are both injury risks. For the money, vet min, Kwame is a good option. Aaron Gray makes more than the vet min on a 2 yr deal.

Comment

• Who would you rather have:

Aaron Gray or Kwame Brown
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X