Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Subtract Salmons, Novak, and DeColo. Add Lou Will and James Johnson...Are we really that much better?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phiLLy wrote: View Post
    Why is everybody so obsessed with dumping Hayes? He's expiring. Sure, it would be great for a roster spot for somebody else, but he's a clear-cut professional, and does his job well when he's in the game.

Defends, and rebounds. Doens't do anything else, but he's an absolute rock, and he holds his own, even while giving up height to bigger Cs.

BC never planned on acquiring Fields, it was a move to block NY from acquiring Nash. We got the shit end of that stick when we got Fields, and didn't get Nash.

However, in hindsight, that seems to be the better choice, since Nash is just as useless as Fields, and would've vost more.
    Ironically that whole series of events worked out beautifully for us because we ended up with Kyle Lowry (who was our plan B after Nash) and we now have him re-signed plus Fields is expiring off the books giving us 6M to play with at the deadline or next season. Funny how things work out..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

better team on paper? yes. but who knows what bizarre lineups casey will conjure up. good players coming to toronto just end up sucking due to misuse, mismanagement of minutes, or too much of casey thinking so and so is our guy.

i think we'll have a winning record but won't match 48 from last season.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    better team on paper? yes. but who knows what bizarre lineups casey will conjure up. good players coming to toronto just end up sucking due to misuse, mismanagement of minutes, or too much of casey thinking so and so is our guy.

really, though? is there a history of that with Casey?

Everyone had career years last year.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Louis Williams > De Colo @ bench combo guard
    James Johnson > Salmons @ bench combo guard

JV 14/15 > JV 13/14
    DD 14/15 > DD 13/14
    TRoss 14/15 > TRoss 13/14

-Continuity and experience says we got a lot better when we brought back Lowry, 2Pat and G.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Crazy to think that BC offered a 38 year old Steve Nash $36M over 3 years, and even went to the extent of acquiring Landry Fields for $21M..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    That's why he has yet to get another GM gig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post

Chuck Hayes is the only player of bench group I can see DC overusing in appropriately. Even Landry Fields offers something of value off bench.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Chuck Hayes is the only player of bench group I can see DC overusing in appropriately. Even Landry Fields offers something of value off bench.
    Agreed. Hayes is the only one I can see being used too much for my liking. I'm fine with Lou, JJ, 2Pat and GV getting decent minutes.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Agreed. Hayes is the only one I can see being used too much for my liking. I'm fine with Lou, JJ, 2Pat and GV getting decent minutes.
    I agree too.. but wait till the season starts and everyone starts playing; i am sure we will add couple of guys to this prestigious list.

Raptors Republic Rookie chch166's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup we're alot more better. The problem with those players was that they didn't make a real impact during the game, the only person that really made a impact is De Colo as our third String. Salmons was just horrible after his chicago game and couldn't shoot for his life. Novak was still a good 3 - point shooter but didn't impact our team only adding about 3 points a game ( Casey didin't use him right) . So losing them wouldn't have impacted our team by alot. Now with the news guys like Lou William and James Johnson, they provide some things we need like a reliable potential back up SF ( Could be Landry or Johnson) who can play defense plus adds bench scoring and a toughness mentatilty. Lou Williams can provide us with ball handling , scoring ,and playoff experience. This already makes us one of the best benches in the League with Lou , Vasquez, Landry ( or James) , 2Pat , and Hayes. So I'd say we are alot better
    Nevermind what haters say,
    ignore them ítil they fade away. - T.I

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like some have already said, whether or not we are marginally better won't depend on the new guys we have signed, but on how much our main guys have improved, specifically Ross and Valanciunas. For the most part, you know what you can expect from our main guys except for those 2. But if they can take that next step and raise their games to the next level (maybe include DD and his defense too), then for sure we will be "that much better."

I'm only worried about our size at Center, we really don't have anybody besides JV to battle the 7 footers.

Raptors Republic Rookie chch166's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jlongs wrote: View Post
    Like some have already said, whether or not we are marginally better won't depend on the new guys we have signed, but on how much our main guys have improved, specifically Ross and Valanciunas. For the most part, you know what you can expect from our main guys except for those 2. But if they can take that next step and raise their games to the next level (maybe include DD and his defense too), then for sure we will be "that much better."

I'm only worried about our size at Center, we really don't have anybody besides JV to battle the 7 footers.
    Bebe is the answer
    Nevermind what haters say,
    ignore them ítil they fade away. - T.I

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Would be nice to get some value out of Fields. How could BC pay a ridiculous contract to a guy who shot 40% at the line?
    Where are you getting stats from? Fields shot .562 from the line in his sophomore season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like people thought we had this top-secret international weapon in De Colo just because we got him from the Spurs. He barely played and had only a flash or two when he did. He won't be missed at all.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is GV, Lou , JJ , PP and Bebe better than GV , Salmons, Novak,PP and Hayes.

That is the question that must be addressed. IMO, the 2nd String will score more points and be stronger defensively with JJ and Bebe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Where are you getting stats from? Fields shot .562 from the line in his sophomore season.
    Sorry, didn't research just remember his terrible free throw shooting. Something wasn't right with him before we signed him. People blamed Melo and the new offense on LF soph season but his FT% dove too.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on Casey. We are better on paper but we have seen Casey overuse crappy players time and time again. Looking at this roster though only Hayes fits the bill.

Past Examples:
    -Rasual Butler, Pietrus, John Lucas, Salmons, Novak, Alan Anderson.

Also, who knows whether Casey gets into a spat with James Johnson again and decides to bench him and barely use him.
    Last edited by sly2thefox; Wed Jul 23rd, 2014 at 05:41 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sly2thefox wrote: View Post
    Depends on Casey. We are better on paper but we have seen Casey overuse crappy players time and time again. Looking at this roster though only Hayes fits the bill.

Past Examples:
    -Rasual Butler, Pietrus, John Lucas, Salmons, Novak, Alan Anderson.
    Who did you want him to play instead of these scrubs?
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information