Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subtract Salmons, Novak, and DeColo. Add Lou Will and James Johnson...Are we really that much better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@OP

Yes
    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Sig bet? I'll take the under on 51.5 wins. Winner chooses loser's sig for next offseason (through to game 1 of 2015-16 regular season).
      By sig I assume you're saying signature? as long as I don't have to take away my final prediction I'm down.

EDIT: I'd also take the bet after the world cup, to make sure JV doesn't get injured.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

As long as Lowry/DeRozan are healthy will have a great year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The only real objective for Masai this off season was to bring the band back and he did that. If Lowry went to Houston then the team would have looked completely different in my opinion. But he stayed as did Patterson and Vasquez. So losing De Colo, Novak or Salmons who are bit pieces and changing them for other bit pieces will probably move the dial only a little bit and I think in the right direction.

Salmons and Novak did bring a form of leadership to the team and chemistry was one of the most important reasons why the excelled last year. Hopefully Salmon's and Novak's absence isn't going to create some kind of turmoil. JJ could add some kind of negativity to the locker room but I'm hoping he's now matured. Can't really comment on Lou Williams but I hear nice things.

Talent wise we are better. Team wise I hope so but we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

I think a big factor is that the top 7 or 8 guys on our team should be better this season than they were last season just because none of them are really in their primes (except for Lowry, but even he could improve).

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
              Salmons is now gone so yes, we are better.
              This is what I came to say ... addition by subtraction. If Salmons is no longer an option for Casey to use, then yes, we've improved dramatically.

Novak was a useless piece of crap. Good riddance.

DeColo received far too much love around here in my opinion. For a 3rd PG, ya he's alright. But that's about it. Would never want him as our main backup.
              Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 21, 2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                I think a big factor is that the top 7 or 8 guys on our team should be better this season than they were last season just because none of them are really in their primes (except for Lowry, but even he could improve).
                Lowry, Amir, Greivis, and Lou are all in their primes to me. Lowry, Amir and Lou are unlikely to seriously improve in any way. Maybe Amir keeps working on his 3 pt shot, but that's about it. Greivis hasn't been in the league that long, but he is 27 and not particularly athletic. Can't see what part of his game would seriously improve. I think he is what he is.

To me, prime basically means that a player can't significantly improve an area or add a skill to his repertoire where it becomes a real strength. Jonas and Ross obviously still have time to grow their games quite a bit, especially Jonas. DeMar and Pat might not really improve and they could be more or less what they are in their prime, but they're also both young and talented enough to maybe add a bit more. DeMar I'd say less likely, but still, if he ever just gets that 3% up to the mid-30s consistently that's a big addition. And if Pat can add some backdown skills that's a big addition for him, and would make him basically a Millsap lite. I think most guys hit their primes somewhere between the ages of 25-27, and it lasts as long as 33-35 years old depending on physical issues.

*Forgot JJ....but I think he is what he is as well, since he hasn't really changed after bouncing around for a few years. Still he's 27 and just hitting his prime probably.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jul 21, 2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I say we are better off.
                  We have more offense off the bench, and have a deeper bench that can play on any given night.
                  Novak was a no show in the playoffs, and De Colo wasn't a factor.

I can see James Johnson being a factor in games for his defensive prowess, and Williams is someone that can surpise people, coming back to form from injury and playing good in a contract year.

Comment

we are definitely better off...Masai kept all the pieces that worked and built on it...he's building this team step by step and patiently...the starters & core was kept together, and Lou Williams & James Johnson should bring an all around improvement to both ends of the floor as contributors that Salmons, Novak & Nando did not. Masai found a formula that worked with the Sac trade and is now just tweaking this team to make it his...can't wait to see what he does with those buckets Fields & Hayes contracts...

Comment

Lowry/Derozan/Ross/Amir/JV
                      GV/Lou/Patman/J. Johnson

pretty solid 9 man rotation considering the rest of the roster is either just bench warming expiring contracts or long term prospects...

Comment

Gotta find a way to unload Landry Fields. The guy will make 8.5 million this year.

Comment

rapba wrote: View Post
                          Gotta find a way to unload Landry Fields. The guy will make 8.5 million this year.
                          And? We need end of benchers. He's one with a nice expiring contract. Unless we're packaging him to get an all-star or something, I don't see the need to move him at all.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            And? We need end of benchers. He's one with a nice expiring contract. Unless we're packaging him to get an all-star or something, I don't see the need to move him at all.
                            Must admit, I am waiting to see what kind of a shot he has. Has it improved? Will it improve over the course of the season? Wouldn't it be something if his shot was better and continued to improve to the trade deadline? It would be nice if Masai COULD trade him, and then had to think about whether he WANTED to trade him, or keep him for the playoffs, and maybe just enjoy the expiring.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Must admit, I am waiting to see what kind of a shot he has. Has it improved? Will it improve over the course of the season? Wouldn't it be something if his shot was better and continued to improve to the trade deadline? It would be nice if Masai COULD trade him, and then had to think about whether he WANTED to trade him, or keep him for the playoffs, and maybe just enjoy the expiring.
                              Lakers have no SF and if they strike out on Marion, Fields might have some value. Even if the Laker get Marion, any roster depth might be welcome.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                His shot will have to have seriously improved though for Casey to trust him again. He's going to have to tear it up in preseason minutes, otherwise probably another season on the bench....which would also mean his only trade value is as salary filler for a team that would want an expiring contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X