No announcement yet.

Lowry, Ross and DeRozan in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough to pass the sniff test on the 150K per guy.
    If your a charity, starting half a mil in the hole is not a great strategy to begin raising funds unless your finance minister for the Ontario Liberal party. Its not like there is a whack of well heeled types in Manilla that are so basketball crazy that they can throw big coin at this type of an event.
    NBA cares alright (smirk)
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
      I gotta say, that's very hard to believe. Do you have any kind of source?
      Was gonna embed the tweet but rocwell got it. Thanks dude
      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

DogeLover123 wrote: View Post
        When they get fined, does the money just go to the NBA? This sounds like an NCAA type of thing..
        Nop, fine money goes to charities

Comment

Basketball is like a religion in the Philippines. And didn't see any actual quote that it was for a charity. Might be just these guys looking for an extra buck and to have some fun.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Ross tweeted this about a week ago. DeRozan tweeted the same thing but its gone now lol.

I've heard about this MVP dude before. His group a couple of years ago was trying to buy the Sacramento Kings. He's a multi billionaire, one of the richest man in the world.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

I believe poster WMCJ had it right...it's about the money. And it's not the money being paid the participants (150k?). The NBA would be concerned about the promoters and the revenues they are generating from the event and the sponsors. I believe the NBA would want their pound of flesh to place into that revenue pool as they do with sponsors like Nike, Adidas etc. Also if there was a local shoe company advertising their wares this would be a no-no with the companies I mentioned above. Loss of control of the NBA brand is the issue.

Comment

would have been good for ross to get some time in with all these guys

Comment

Yeah, this was the talk of the country about how a supposed to be exhibition charity game between the NBA players including Demar, Lowry and TRoss vs. the Philippine National Team (who are competing in the FIBA Worlds in Spain) ended up being a fucking practice session. Disgusting move by the league, shunning a huge Asian basketball market, and treating players like slaves. NBA Cares my ass.

Basketball is pretty much what hockey is to Canada in the Philippines. Filipinos just don't have the height to be competitive globally. They say that it wasn't "technically" advertised as an exhibition game, but why the fuck would people spend $500 just to watch players practice??? I'm of Filipino background and I thought this was a great way to promote the Toronto Raptors and would have been great exposure for our guys in terms of popularity.

This is tragic. This is one of the reasons North American sports will never be as popular as football/soccer.

Comment

I find it incredibly weird that the NBA would wait until the 11th hour to issue their warnings. It's possible that East West Private was just trying to sneak the whole thing through without proper permissions.

Maria Espaldon, president of East West Private, the company which made talks with the NBA of bringing the basketball stars here, put it against the NBA for the disastrous outcome despite admitting that they had shortcomings too for failing to meet the league’s deadline that allows its players to participate in such events, particularly in an actual game of five-on-five, that would’ve avoided such mishap wherein the fans were the ones hit the hardest.
                    I doubt the NBA would have nixed such a great event unless there was some kind of shadiness going on. Adam Silver has struck me as a very thoughtful guy.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      I find it incredibly weird that the NBA would wait until the 11th hour to issue their warnings. It's possible that East West Private was just trying to sneak the whole thing through without proper permissions.

I doubt the NBA would have nixed such a great event unless there was some kind of shadiness going on. Adam Silver has struck me as a very thoughtful guy.
                      I was able to read more articles about it, and it's looking like it's the promoters of the event that effed up. But the NBA shouldn't have fined their players $150k.

Comment

Ok, did a little bit of research about this and i found some pretty 'whoa' 'are you kidding me' stuff.

This lady is saying that the Last Home Stand was 'never' advertised as a game. LOL. Probably one of the stupidest excuse i've heard. What is this then? a scam? They need to be responsible and admit that they fucked up. They're fooling their own people. It's comical.

Another one.

The NBA changed the rules on you? the last minute? really?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                          I was able to read more articles about it, and it's looking like it's the promoters of the event that effed up. But the NBA shouldn't have fined their players $150k.
                          Pretty sure the promoters were paying the stars players $150k each. The NBA fines would have been less, but I think the players were more concerned with the optics and not pissing off the league.

In any case, it's sad, because the fans in the Philippines (who seem amazing) are the ones who lost out. And it's less likely that these young stars are going to be willing to do something like this again after this clusterfuck.

Comment

DeMar will probably try to do something. I'm guessing he was the ring leader of this. Seeing that his fiancée is half Philippine. He probably told Kyle and Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Fines will be paid, life will go on.

Nothing to see here

Comment

Kyle Lowry, Demar DeRozan and Terrence Ross in trouble, Jonas Valanciunas getting DUI's and our starting PF used to have cornrows?? CORNROWS?!??!

We might as well be cheering for the Jailblazers, I'm out.

Comment

Working...
                                X