Everything James Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm really getting sick of being right about everything all the time
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Casey can be defiant all he wants and act like he's not starting JJ just because the fans, bloggers and media were clamoring for it. I don't care. Whatever he needs to say to feel good about himself for starting JJ, well.... just keep doing it.

Actually, I think the lightbulb went on for Casey when he saw that JJ could hold his own guarding an elite PF like Blake Griffin. That might be the real revelation here. On most PFs in the league, JJ's has a quickness advantage without giving up much (or anything) in length or strength. And he can also switch onto SFs and some SGs. He really is an ideal guy for Casey's high energy defensive schemes, especially when opposing teams go small ball.
      That would be so hilarious if any NBA or professional coach was actually making their decisions based on what public, media, bloggers were saying.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        That would be so hilarious if any NBA or professional coach was actually making their decisions based on what public, media, bloggers were saying.
        I think it just goes to show that when you get a big group of knowledgeable, passionate fans together, who have a solid collective basketball-ID, it's actually possible for worthwhile ideas to be developed.

Although, come to think of it, I've heard similar things said about 100 monkeys sitting at typewriters...

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I think it just goes to show that when you get a big group of knowledgeable, passionate fans together, who have a solid collective basketball-ID, it's actually possible for worthwhile ideas to be developed.
          Great point .. until of course I read this ...

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Although, come to think of it, I've heard similar things said about 100 monkeys sitting at typewriters...
          Too funny. Well played.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            So we played James Johnson at the PF spot today with massive success

Who knew such a thing would work?

smh...Casey, you're only a few months behind, but thanks for reading RR. We're here all week

#FireCasey
            Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            You do know that Casey was using him at that spot all year long right?
            DanH wrote: View Post
            Not really. He'd played more at SF before this, and had played very little to none at all recently, even before the injury.
            Basketball-Reference.com has his Positional Estimates at 72% Power Forward. Seems a little high, but definitely confirms my thinking that he has certainly played plenty of Power Forward this season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...johnsja01.html

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

LOL, well Calgary, you know as well as I that if you have enough opinions eventually one of them will be right. That's why I love the time leading up to the draft. Fans are going on and on about who is a future star and who isn't, as if they really have a deep knowledge of it. You say good things about enough prospects and when one has a good season you get to have bragging rights

Comment

• Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                  I'm really getting sick of being right about everything all the time
                  There's a pill for that.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    Basketball-Reference.com has his Positional Estimates at 72% Power Forward. Seems a little high, but definitely confirms my thinking that he has certainly played plenty of Power Forward this season.

That's because bbref has Patterson playing 26% of his time at SF, and Amir at 20% of his time at SF. Look through the 5-man lineups section of 82games.com and you will see a lot of weird placements with James Johnson.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415TOR2.HTM

I would argue JJ's total minutes on the year at PF is less than 50.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      That's because bbref has Patterson playing 26% of his time at SF, and Amir at 20% of his time at SF. Look through the 5-man lineups section of 82games.com and you will see a lot of weird placements with James Johnson.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415TOR2.HTM

I would argue JJ's total minutes on the year at PF is less than 50.
                      Yeah, I was noticing that when looking at his numbers on 82games yesterday. In his top 10 most common lineups, he's listed as PF or C in every single one of them, despite the fact that every single one of those lineups feature at least two of Patterson, Amir, JV, Hansbrough, or Hayes. As far as I can tell, whenever J.J. is on the floor with Amir or Patterson, he's considered the center or PF over either of them. I have no idea if basketball-reference uses the same system.

In terms of where he actually plays:

Of his top 20 lineups, the only lineups where he has actually been PF (ie, with only one of Amir, Patterson, Hayes, Hansbrough, Valnaciunas) have been:
                      Lowry/Vasquez/Williams/J.Johnson/Patterson - 12 minutes
                      Lowry/Ross/DeRozan/J.Johnson/A.Johnson - 8 minutes
                      Vasquez/Williams/DeRozan/J.Johnson/Hansbrough - 7 minutes

Totalling about 27 minutes of his 873 minutes on court this year. (Or about 3%). There may be other lineups he's been in and played less than 7 minutes which might bring the score up a few more percentage points.

Comment

• It only took me 50 games to get Casey to start JJ...lets see how long it takes him to start 2pat
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Plenty of teams use 3 guard lineups in limited doses. Not defending it here for the Raps, but it's no Dwayne Casey creation.

The Suns have a couple different 3 guard combos using Dragic/Thomas/Bledsoe/Green. The Clippers play Paul/Crawford/Reddick together. Carlisle and George Karl have both played plenty of 3 guard small ball lineups over the years.

A whole pile of 3 guard lineups listed here: http://dimemag.com/2013/11/20-best-s...l-lineups-nba/
                          The problem with this years version is Lou's size and GVs feet. Even last year NDC and GV are above average in size. With Lowry being small pairing him with Lou and GV is just giving up points. As a side note GSW are dangling Lee + Livingston.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            It only took me 50 games to get Casey to start JJ...lets see how long it takes him to start 2pat
                            You do k of you weren't the only person suggesting this line up right?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Basketball reference is bad at determining what position a player plays because they do it based on height not the players actual positions
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                It would be hilarious.... but it would also be the Sacramento Kings (and the Knicks to some extent, i.e., media).

But it would be equally sad if any NBA executive, coach, etc...., simply did not do things because public/media/bloggers were saying it should done.

Oh, and what CalRaps said....

Comment

Working...
                                X