No announcement yet.

Everything James Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always nice to see players come to their senses. It's so easy for guys to slip from average to fringe, and fringe to obscurity.

I remember when Antoine Wright refused to come into that one game, there were Raps fans saying he was a hero because he was standing up to Triano's lack of defense. But no one guy is bigger than the team. After that he spiralled down to the d-league, then played in China, Spain, Venezuela, and Israel. Still making a living, but it's not the NBA.
    Last edited by Scraptor; Sat Oct 18, 2014, 12:53 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Always nice to see players come to their senses. It's so easy for guys to slip from average to fringe, and fringe to obscurity.

I remember when Antoine Wright refused to come into that one game, there were guys saying he was a hero because he was standing up to Triano's lack of defense. But no one guy is bigger than the team. After that he spiralled down to the d-league, then played in China, Spain, Venezuela, and Israel. Still making a living, but it's not the NBA.
      Wow, I don't even remember that. Glad we got rid of that guy. That would never happen to a Casey coached team.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Wow, I don't even remember that. Glad we got rid of that guy. That would never happen to a Casey coached team.
        The reason we got rid of JJ the first time was partly due to insubordination under Casey. Even Pop has had to cut knuckleheads like Stephen Jackson who think they're above the team. No coach is going to have a totally iron rule.

The list of guys who can get away with BS is probably 30-40 guys, and even then being a cancer is going to depress your long-term value, in terms of winning and thus endorsements. The most marketable stars are the ones with the best images.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          The reason we got rid of JJ the first time was partly due to insubordination under Casey. Even Pop has had to cut knuckleheads like Stephen Jackson who think they're above the team. No coach is going to have a totally iron rule.

The list of guys who can get away with BS is probably 30-40 guys, and even then being a cancer is going to depress your long-term value, in terms of winning and thus endorsements. The most marketable stars are the ones with the best images.
          Yeah, but to the point that you don't want to sub in? That's not a common thing around the league. Even for the boneheads.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Good read

Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
              Good read

Great read!
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Just wondering, does anyone know for what reason the Boston Globe decided to cover JJ?

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  Good read

This is the part that concerns me, "“I feel like I have just as much talent as [All-Star] DeMar [DeRozan] or [Kyle] Lowry but it’s not what is asked of me,” he said."

If having your head in the right place is a talent, then NO James, you're not there.

Of course, the quote is somewhat out of context and can't convey subtleties or nuances. Hopefully he means "I am as much of a physical specimen, in my own way, as those guys. If I apply my mind to it, I can contribute significantly just like they do."
                  Last edited by Puffer; Tue Oct 21, 2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    This is the part that concerns me, "“I feel like I have just as much talent as [All-Star] DeMar [DeRozan] or [Kyle] Lowry but it’s not what is asked of me,” he said."

If having your head in the right place is a talent, then NO James, you're not there.

Of course, the quote is somewhat out of context and can't convey subtleties or nuances. Hopefully he means "I am as much of a physical specimen, in my own way, as those guys. If I apply my mind to it, I can contribute significantly just like they do."
                    Yeah, my eyebrow went up when I read it.

Doesn't read like a guy truly accepting or realizing his limitations.

Confidence is great but......

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, my eyebrow went up when I read it.

Doesn't read like a guy truly accepting or realizing his limitations.

Confidence is great but......
                      JJ might actually have a point. He could very well have more natural "talent" than DeRozan, but that doesn't make him a better basketball player.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        JJ might actually have a point. He could very well have more natural "talent" than DeRozan, but that doesn't make him a better basketball player.
                        Yeah, that's why I talked about context in my post, and rephrased it the way I wish he had said it so there could be no confusion about what he meant. I think the main reason JJ is still in the league is that he is a "physical specimen" and every GM/Coach sees the potential. I hope he applies himself, accepts his role and just buckles down to work at getting better at decision making through scenario based training.

Comment

• Shirokin wrote: View Post
                          Just wondering, does anyone know for what reason the Boston Globe decided to cover JJ?
                          This is what I was going to ask. He's from Wyoming and went to University in North Carolina ...

Comment

• Meh, I'm not expecting that much out of JJ. He hasn't played himself consistently into regular minutes as a positive contributor for a full season - ever. He has everything to prove before he starts comparing himself to the two best players on the team, on any level.

You can make excuses for why he hasn't found success yet, but so far his career is playing out pretty typically for a borderline NBA role player. Maybe he'll put it together, find the perfect situation, and turn it all into becoming a regular rotation player. Or maybe his next contract will be in Europe.

Fans are still scarred by the Joe Johnson experience. James Johnson will probably get spot minutes against big scoring 3's, and not much more.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I have a feeling that the great majority of NBA'ers will never downplay their abilities (they wont put down others either). It's in their dna thru the years...the "I'm as good or better than the other guy" kind of feeling. It's an in-built confidence or they wouldnt be there. JJ actually said it while most others would take a pass and deflect. Personally, I like that...it's an attitude that doesnt allow him to back down from stars like a Johnson, Durant, Kobe etc. He just has to channel it correctly. I would add that he took this opportunity because he feels it's the best team to use to market his talents for the next contract....so I wouldnt worry about his play...unless of course Casey doesnt play him.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                ....so I wouldnt worry about his play...unless of course Casey doesn't play him.
                                I have a feeling that the only one who can conceivably limit James Johnson's minutes is James Johnson.

Comment

Working...
                                X