No announcement yet.

Everything James Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope you guys realize that we couldnt get JJ too many minutes last year because having DD on the court pretty well dictates that you need your 3 and 4 spots to both shoot the three.

All alcolades/rep/work ethic/stats aside, the fact that your starting 2 guard doesnt stetch the floor negatively effects what his teammates are able to do, and requires them to have a certain set of skills for either party to succeed. He pigeon holes the people around him. This is a huge problem if you are building a championship team, as those are often described as flexible...

I've wanted JJ to play the 4 since we signed him last summer. He is enough of a shooter from 3 that as a PF their big has to at least softly close out on him....and that means he can blow by them. Defensively if you put him on a post player you will limit his gambling tendacies.

However, Dwayne Casey'd

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I hope you guys realize that we couldnt get JJ too many minutes last year because having DD on the court pretty well dictates that you need your 3 and 4 spots to both shoot the three.

All alcolades/rep/work ethic/stats aside, the fact that your starting 2 guard doesnt stetch the floor negatively effects what his teammates are able to do, and requires them to have a certain set of skills for either party to succeed. He pigeon holes the people around him. This is a huge problem if you are building a championship team, as those are often described as flexible...

I've wanted JJ to play the 4 since we signed him last summer. He is enough of a shooter from 3 that as a PF their big has to at least softly close out on him....and that means he can blow by them. Defensively if you put him on a post player you will limit his gambling tendacies.

However, Dwayne Casey'd
      You do know Amir can't stretch the floor right? His been our starter these pass two years. Last two years offensive our has been top10 and top5. This idea that you have to have a stretch 4 to play with DD is just dumb.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        You do know Amir can't stretch the floor right? His been our starter these pass two years. Last two years offensive our has been top10 and top5. This idea that you have to have a stretch 4 to play with DD is just dumb.
        That's great. You know what would be better alongside DeMar? A PF who can shoot as well as PPat and defend as well as Amir!

Comment

• There was never any need to sit JJ, and always plenty of reason to play him. There not being any need to sit him this year and there being plenty of reason to play him therefore gives me zero confidence we'll see enough of him.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If you think that second lineup is better than the first than we have nothing more to discuss.
            He was talking about spacing, not the talent level.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              There was never any need to sit JJ, and always plenty of reason to play him. There not being any need to sit him this year and there being plenty of reason to play him therefore gives me zero confidence we'll see enough of him.
              So 20 mins a game isn't enough? Who are taking minutes from?(I already know your answer but, i'll ask anyways)
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                He was talking about spacing, not the talent level.
                Bingo.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

So 20 mins a game isn't enough? Who are taking minutes from?(I already know your answer but, i'll ask anyways)
                  Some of the forwards should have taken minutes from some of the guards last year - it's that simple. The small units didn't do anything particularly well. Multiple ball handlers and that's about it. The one thing everyone was so proud of, the high ORTG, was propped up by the scoring efficiency of the bigs.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

A non-stretch 4 that was 19/46 from three is still much much better than your starting two guard who was 25/88

Also Amir was hyper efficient (as usual) to make up for DeMar's inefficiencies.

The base argument I am trying to make is that DeMar's current preference to operate around 17 feet (disregarding all stats), puts pressure on the players surrounding him. Where he plays the game on the court has a negative effect on a lot of players, like the James Johnson's, which is why they only played 85.7 minutes together for the entire year, and were -2 in net rating in such lineup.

James Johnson needs to play more....but that can't happen if you also want to play DD a lot as well. Problem, because DD operates at 17 feet, you now don't have the ability to play one of your best two way players.

#provem

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      A non-stretch 4 that was 19/46 from three is still much much better than your starting two guard who was 25/88

Also Amir was hyper efficient (as usual) to make up for DeMar's inefficiencies.

The base argument I am trying to make is that DeMar's current preference to operate around 17 feet (disregarding all stats), puts pressure on the players surrounding him. Where he plays the game on the court has a negative effect on a lot of players, like the James Johnson's, which is why they only played 85.7 minutes together for the entire year, and were -2 in net rating in such lineup.

James Johnson needs to play more....but that can't happen if you also want to play DD a lot as well. Problem, because DD operates at 17 feet, you now don't have the ability to play one of your best two way players.

#provem
                      I guessing most of those minutes were when he was at the 3 with two other bigs. I'm talking about putting JJ at the 4. I think he could do what amir could do but even better.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I guessing most of those minutes were when he was at the 3 with two other bigs. I'm talking about putting JJ at the 4. I think he could do what amir could do but even better.
                        I agree with this. Amir you could leave knowing that even if he did take a jumper he took it so slowly

Comment

• draps wrote: View Post
                          I agree with this. Amir you could leave knowing that even if he did take a jumper he took it so slowly
                          Stupid phone.
                          So slowly that defences had all the time in the world to react. With JJ, you can leave him open, but you better get a body in front of him or he's pretty much unstoppable going to the rim

Comment

• Yeah, JJ would do fine at the 3 or the 4. We won't find out though. Last year's team needed his skill set far more than this year's does, and he couldn't get consistent minutes last year. I still see no reason for optimism regarding JJ playing for anyone who paid the least bit of attention last season.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If those minutes did come at the three, then I'm guessing Patterson was playing at the 4 for spacing. If GV/KL-DD-JJ-PP-TH/JV lineup didn't do well, what makes you think a KL/CJ-DD-DC-JJ-JV/TH lineup will do well? Because the spacing is coming from the 3 not the 4?

On top of that, bball-ref has him playing 2% of his minutes at SF, 71% at PF, and 26% at C. In fact, they have him as a PF for last season. He's probably already played as the 4 alongside DeMar, OSC has shown lineups where they were together didn't do well so... why would it do well now?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, JJ would do fine at the 3 or the 4. We won't find out though. Last year's team needed his skill set far more than this year's does, and he couldn't get consistent minutes last year. I still see no reason for optimism regarding JJ playing for anyone who paid the least bit of attention last season.
                                With you on this one. Even with this years team he should be getting an average of 25 minutes a game...the bulk of it with the second unit (as a 3 or a 4) and there are nights when he should be playing big minutes with the starters simply to shut down specific opposing players on the other team.

Comment

Working...
                                X