No announcement yet.

Everything James Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he cant stay in front of threes either though so who does he guard?
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Because he's a three not a four, especially against Randle who really dominates the post. Not good against Jefferson, ZBo or Lee in Boston either
      randall, hibbert and russell is a pretty good core to build around.

i agree with randall being to much for johnson. jj can guard face up 4s

Comment

• Randle is looking pretty good, but JJ's defense was fine on those shots. They could have bounced out. Did PP play him better? Didn't really notice.

Either way, I'm happy that Bruno is getting the preseason backup 3 minutes. It could be big for his confidence, rewarding him for what looks like hard work.

That said, good money is on JJ playing combo minutes off the bench - ie it's a 10-man rotation and there's a good chance that 10th spot is JJ's, unless he really fucks it up. Whether that means playing the 3 or the 4 doesn't really matter so much as the number of minutes - he could get bumped down to 15 or so if Ross et al squeez him out.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          he cant stay in front of threes either though so who does he guard?
          Sure he can. Hence all his great defensive stats last year when he played mostly at the 3. Everyone gets beat occasionally.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Sure he can. Hence all his great defensive stats last year when he played mostly at the 3. Everyone gets beat occasionally.
            DanH, you know better than to assess players fairly and not jump to unfounded conclusions. Over reaction, over exaggeration and bold outrageous bold statements only please.

On that note, JJ is the greatest defender of all time and is a potential HOFer IMHO.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              That said, good money is on JJ playing combo minutes off the bench - ie it's a 10-man rotation and there's a good chance that 10th spot is JJ's, unless he really fucks it up. Whether that means playing the 3 or the 4 doesn't really matter so much as the number of minutes.
              Sadly, I wish that were the case.
              The quote was that Casey planned to play JJ ONLY at the 4, because that was 'better for JJ'.

Comment

• back when JJ first came into the league and weighed like 300lbs. that was when he was best suited as a 4. and he played really well there but chicago and tornoto kept trying to make him a 3

now hes more like 250 and looks like he slimmed down from last year and is best sutied as a 3. and he played really well from there but now tornoto is trying to make him a 4.

what is this bullshit
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• This is that bullshit:

I get playing JJ at the 4 in certain matchups. But in all honesty, he should be our backup 3 to Carroll. Ross needs all the minutes he can get at SG. In fact, in some cases I'd like all 3 on the court at once, as I've said before.

Casey cares to go small? Using JJ as a 4 does this, but he can also go smaller by using Bennett..... who is learning how to shoot 3's. Pat's looking stupid this year..... we need someone to step up.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Note that the quotation doesn't have him saying "only". Do we have audio/video to add a little context?

Comment

Note that the quotation doesn't have him saying "only". Do we have audio/video to add a little context?
                      IMO, if we have him playing the weakest position, the 4, he will get more minutes. The wings are probably our most stacked position and playing him exclusively there will really limit his pt.

on the wings, we have ross, dd, carrol, powell, and most likely cojo looking for minutes. while at the 4 we suck, sooo...
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                        IMO, if we have him playing the weakest position, the 4, he will get more minutes. The wings are probably our most stacked position and playing him exclusively there will really limit his pt.

on the wings, we have ross, dd, carrol, powell, and most likely cojo looking for minutes. while at the 4 we suck, sooo...
                        The 4 is the weakest in talent but deepest in bodies. The 3 has no real depth behind DC and Casey already wants to play him at the 4 too. The backup three right now are Ross and Powell apparantly

Comment

So now we're upset at Casey finding developmental minutes for youngsters over veterans (in the preseason at that)? Hard to keep everything straight.
                          Raps fans love them some James Johnson. If only Dwayne Casey, Tom Thibodeau, Keith Smart, Dave Joerger and the front offices in Chicago, Toronto, Memphis and Sacramento would stop conspiring against him to hold him back, then he'd be a star.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            Raps fans love them some James Johnson. If only Dwayne Casey, Tom Thibodeau, Keith Smart, Dave Joerger and the front offices in Chicago, Toronto, Memphis and Sacramento would stop conspiring against him to hold him back, then he'd be a star.
                            Personally could care less about James Johnson but watching PG, SG or SF run over guys or climb backs on D while a SF sits is infuriating. Same with Lou somehow boxing out or TH or 2Pats protecting the rim

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              The point I've trying to make for months now. JJ played 20 mins a game last year. You'd think that would be enough for a player like JJ but, not on RR.

RR just look for any reason to hate on Casey. JJ is just the trend right now. Next month will be that Casey plays Lowry too much.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                The point I've trying to make for months now. JJ played 20 mins a game last year. You'd think that would be enough for a player like JJ but, not on RR.

RR just look for any reason to hate on Casey. JJ is just the trend right now. Next month will be that Casey plays Lowry too much.
                                Can you please stop making the bolded point whenever JJ's playing time is being discussed. Myself and others pointed out weeks ago (at least) that the MPG is an inaccurate portrayal of what transpired last year, as all the DNP-CD (ie: zero minutes played) do not factor into the MPG equation.

# Games with 0 minutes: 12
                                # Games 1-9 minutes: 8
                                # Games 10-14 minutes: 9
                                # Games 15-19 minutes: 20
                                # Games > 20 minutes: 33 (40%)

In 60% of the games last season, JJ played less than 20 minutes. He played less than 15 minutes in 35% of games.

---

Personally, I think JJ is overrated. I didn't like him during his first tenure, because he went for highlight-reel defensive plays over sound team defense (often leaving his own man open on the perimeter) far too often. I was upset when he was re-signed, but understood MU's rationale (to defend against the Joe Johnson's and Paul Pierce's of the EC) and hoped that his improved character/play in Memphis would continue in Toronto.

Having said that, the one thing I never understood was DC's unwillingness to play him in the precise matchups that he was acquired for, especially in the playoffs (Pierce).

He was also the glue that held the 2nd unit together, and they never played as effectively when he was left on the bench in favor of a starter (usually DeRozan). His toughness and rebounding offset PP's weaknesses, while his off-ball movement and pick-setting really opened things up on the perimeter for PP/GV/Lou (and gave GV/Lou outlet passes when dribble-penetrating).

If the Raptors are in any sort of 'win now' mode (as they've been in for the last two seasons, or else why not rebuild?), then JJ should play over the younger players (ie: Bruno/Powell).

Comment

Working...
                                X