Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

I really don't think Durant is going to sign here, it just doesn't make any sense. Pretty much every major market team will have significant cap space that year, as well as many other teams in the league. Signing Durant is a pipe-dream.

Now with that in mind, how do we build a title contender?

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ball movement + internal growth + hardnosed defense.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

3. Like KHD, thead liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

They'll have to add an all star. Millsap seems realistic. Al Horford in 2016. Parsons in 2016 if he opts out. Not really an all star, but a brilliant fit offensively, he could have an impact of an all star for this team.

It's been a while since I've looked at free agent lists. Durant, Love, Aldridge aren't likely. Horford, Millsap -- might be a chance. Rondo, Dragic, Marc Gasol, Hibbert, Conley, Al Jefferson, DeAndre Jordan, Asik - not a priority, unless there's a Jonas trade. Who else is available?

Post Thanks / Like

We already have 2 all-stars. Heat showed that having a 3rd one ruins your depth.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    We already have 2 all-stars. Heat showed that having a 3rd one ruins your depth.
    The Heat made the finals four straight years and won two of the past three NBA titles. Think about what you're saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    The Heat made the finals four straight years and won two of the past three NBA titles.
    They have the best player in the league.

Cavs also made it to the finals with a bunch of scrubs.
    Myself (March 2014):

Post Thanks / Like

They have the best player in the league.

Cavs also made it to the finals with a bunch of scrubs.
    So we shouldn't try and acquire more talent?

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest piece to the puzzle is JV. If he can become a dominant 2 way center sky's the limit.
    Myself (March 2014):

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust in Masai; Bruno.

11. Like ceez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we shouldn't try and acquire more talent?
    I don't get your point. You think teams will just throw away talent for whatever rason? Relying on getting talented players instead of focusing on your own talented players is a terrible idea.
    Myself (March 2014):

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get your point. You think teams will just throw away talent for whatever rason? Relying on getting talented players instead of focusing on your own talented players is a terrible idea.
    Getting talented players is always a good idea. You can still develop your own players while acquiring more players.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think you can do both quite easily, and I think most good teams have an eye on how they can improve both inside and outside of their own team. Plus the topic at hand was what it would take for the Raptors to reach contender status, and I think most people would suggest that Toronto is at least one player away.

I never suggested that the Raptors would benefit from another team giving away a really talented player to us. Someone suggested that the team look to add another all-star calibre player in free agency (Millsap was brought up) and you seemed to scoff at the idea of adding him because three all-stars would be too much and not work (just look at those miserable Heat the last few years as an example).
    Last edited by Fully; Thu Jul 24th, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

15. Like ebrian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I think you can do both quite easily, and I think most good teams have an eye on how they can improve both inside and outside of their own team. Plus the topic at hand was what it would take for the Raptors to reach contender status, and I think most people would suggest that Toronto is at least one player away.

I never suggested that the Raptors would benefit from another team giving away a really talented player to us. Someone suggested that the team look to add another all-star calibre player in free agency (Millsap was brought up) and you seemed to scoff at the idea of adding him because three all-stars would be too much and not work (just look at those miserable Heat the last few years as an example!).
    I'm not saying adding a player via free agency isn't a good idea, I'm saying it is a move you can't rely on. Did you see what happened to Houston this offseason? Or the list of good players they let go because of their obssession of acquiring talent?

You can't build a team like the Heat. You can buy it, but there is absolutely no chance of this happening in Toronto.
    Myself (March 2014):

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The most entertaining and likely (imo) path to a contender:

1. Get as close to a contender as possible.
    2. Maintain flexibility.
    3. Sustain that play over years.
    4. Hope for a breakthrough from a development, coaching, drafting, free agency perspective that pushes you over the top.

In the end, you have to get lucky to win a championship, and I think that's as good a path as any. Plus it's more fun to watch a competitive team try and make that leap year in year out, than to watch the tank-contend cycle.

What it comes down to is that there is NO surefire way of winning a championship, any number of things outside of your control can derail a meticulous strategy.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

18. Like OldSkoolCool, Puffer, OptimalOptimist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

were good now. Let's see what our young guys do this year and adjust accordingly.

We have a DEEP team now and even our third string is loaded with upside.

Might be time to just play out the next two seasons making incremental changes
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

20. Like OptimalOptimist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our core is still young and everybody (but DeMar, but can you honestly see him leaves?) is signed for a couple of years.

We are pretty much were the Pacers were couple years ago when they took the Heat to 7 games.
    Myself (March 2014):

Post Thanks / Like

everyone keeps sacrificing chemistry for talent.
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The NBA market for players is mostly efficient outside of draft picks and a few max contracts.

But I think you can get more than the sum of your parts with the right system and chemistry.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying adding a player via free agency isn't a good idea, I'm saying it is a move you can't rely on. Did you see what happened to Houston this offseason? Or the list of good players they let go because of their obssession of acquiring talent?

You can't build a team like the Heat. You can buy it, but there is absolutely no chance of this happening in Toronto.
    But no one is advocating what Houston did either. Teams sign meaningful free agents all the time without having to make 3 or 4 trades beforehand just to clear room. And of course there's no guarantees in free agency (landing someone in the first place OR getting them to click with the existing team) but there's no guarantee that the team as assembled evolves into a contender either. That's why I'm suggesting that the team focus on developing what they have now while keeping an eye on ways to improve externally as well. We can do both.

I do think we're all pretty much on the same page as to what should and will be the plan for the next 1-2 years though; keep playing the asset accumulation/improvement game while building on what the team did last season, then use your cap room in the summer of 2015/2016 to take the next big step forward. The key word in the OP's question is contender though, which I assume to mean one of the 5 teams in the league that has the best shot at being the champion. I'm not sure this current Raptors team gets close to that measure if you just let the thing play out organically.
    Last edited by Fully; Thu Jul 24th, 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All-Star =/= Superstar

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information