Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We could slip in and grab Millsap for a decent deal while everyone else is looking at Love and Aldridge and the others.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
      I truly believe, Masai is gonna bring in Faried next season at the 4...the manimal is his 1 ever draft pick and his find...physical, aggressive double double machine and will be only 25..

the pieces are slowly being put together for us to GROW into a contender...JV development is the key as well as continued progress from DD & Lowry maintaining his play...Ross need to show that he can be more than a 3 & D guy this season otherwise he's upgradable as well..
      Faried doesn't move the needle for us. He's a poor defender and hustle bigs are easily replaced.

The answer to the OP is become the 2004 Pistons, as has been pointed out. It's sort of eerie:
      *Lowry has drawn Billups comparisons and was mentored last summer by Billups
      *Derozan's most consistent comparison has been Rip Hamilton

So then:
      *Terrence Ross's arms are too short to be a Tayshaun Prince duplicate, but maybe he or James Johnson can fill this role
      *Patman offers some stretch big play but is closer to Okur than to Sheed unfortunately
      *Val would have to become a multiple DPOY-type candidate like Big Ben

Personally I think Val can offer more O and less D than Big Ben.

Either the 3 or the 4 are the positions to target an upgrade. Considering we'll have solid cap space in 2015 I think the world is our oyster.

Comment

Only real reason why the PF needs to be upgraded is because of Amir's weak ankles. He is a good defender and doesn't require the ball. If you introduce a ball dominant big man that could hurt JV and would create turmoil when you have ball dominant guards who like the shoot the ball.

If we need to upgrade the PF spot because we can't rely on Amir's health then the only way I could see that happening is via a trade (Millsap is there but he'll be expensive).. and the best trade asset we have is Terrence Ross. Moving him then forces us to look at a SF again. The good news is we have Bruno who might be able to contribute by 2016 allowing us to move Ross for a PF upgrade.

The problem with 2016 is going to be DD and JV's cap hold.. so we can't really wait until 2016 to make an upgrade via free agency unless we let DD go or do some fancy S&T. I am fine by over paying for Millsap, or seeing if Atlanta would consider a Ross/Horford swap (or any other starting caliber PF) otherwise use the money to get a decent player we can swing in a trade later in the year or in 2016.. someone like Young, Green, Deandre Jordan, Robin Lopez, etc

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          Faried doesn't move the needle for us. He's a poor defender and hustle bigs are easily replaced.

The answer to the OP is become the 2004 Pistons, as has been pointed out. It's sort of eerie:
          *Lowry has drawn Billups comparisons and was mentored last summer by Billups
          *Derozan's most consistent comparison has been Rip Hamilton

So then:
          *Terrence Ross's arms are too short to be a Tayshaun Prince duplicate, but maybe he or James Johnson can fill this role
          *Patman offers some stretch big play but is closer to Okur than to Sheed unfortunately
          *Val would have to become a multiple DPOY-type candidate like Big Ben

Personally I think Val can offer more O and less D than Big Ben.

Either the 3 or the 4 are the positions to target an upgrade. Considering we'll have solid cap space in 2015 I think the world is our oyster.
          Bruno Caboclo's arms are even longer than Prince's.

Comment

I don't think we need to worry about PF as much as you guys think we do.

Patterson is going to play himself into that starting role this season
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I'm not sure how a contender will be built.

I know one thing: I'm going to enjoy the ride.

This isn't OTPP running a cash cow anymore.
              This isn't BC selling a plan/vision\ only to reverse course 4-5 months later.

Raptors have lots of good pieces and flexibility moving forward.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                I don't think we need to worry about PF as much as you guys think we do.

Patterson is going to play himself into that starting role this season
                Well Pat will have to prove it this year then. So far he's looked every bit like a high-quality role player, not a high-quality starter.

Comment

Remember we're also talking about adding another all-star talent (if possible). PF isn't a problem for us, but that doesn't mean it can't be stronger.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 24, 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                    Our core is still young and everybody (but DeMar, but can you honestly see him leaves?) is signed for a couple of years.

We are pretty much were the Pacers were couple years ago when they took the Heat to 7 games.
                    Except you know........ the Pacers actually won a round or 2 in the playoffs. Raps have done nothing thus far but lose to a division opponent that ended up behind them in the regular season.

And the 2 all stars you were referring to earlier? You have 1 fringe all-star, who has not achieved any perennial all-star status and another player who is trying to just get an all-star nod (in his late 20's) at a tough position (Wall, Irving, Rose, Rondo, etc).

Great enthusiasm about the Raps nowadays everywhere you go, but typical fan response of overvaluing of what they actually have talent wise.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                      Except you know........ the Pacers actually won a round or 2 in the playoffs. Raps have done nothing thus far but lose to a division opponent that ended up behind them in the regular season.

And the 2 all stars you were referring to earlier? You have 1 fringe all-star, who has not achieved any perennial all-star status and another player who is trying to just get an all-star nod (in his late 20's) at a tough position (Wall, Irving, Rose, Rondo, etc).

Great enthusiasm about the Raps nowadays everywhere you go, but typical fan response of overvaluing of what they actually have talent wise.
                      I haven't been a Raptors fan for long but to me it seems like the total opposite. It seems like years of loosing prevent them from seeing any sort of positivety. The "trading Demar" trend was a perfect exemple of that.

The Pacers made stupid decisions and continue to do so. Let Stephenson go? For 9 mill a year? Max to HIBBERT? Raptors also don't have the finacial commitment that Indiana made last couple of seasons towards overpaid/overrated role players.

You know that the Raptors were 2 points off a first round win despite having less playoff experience as a TEAM than Paul Pierce did? That they were the only team in the playoff starting 2 sophomores?

DD hasn't been a perrenial all-star? Of course for god sake he's only a 24 years old improving every season. Lowry at this point of his career his the best PG in the eastern conference.

I could say that your comment is a typical being stucked in the past fan response.
                      Myself (March 2014):
                      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Why would you need KD (who will be DC bound) when we have Bruno? He'll be something else in 2 years (with him being away from 2 years).
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

You could keep gambling year after year on marque free agents like Dallas and Atlanta has been doing, and lose young players in the process. If your lucky, you get that free agent, otherwise you overpay for 2nd tier free agents.

What really works in this league is getting diamonds in the rough. Finding young players that are in bad situations, that are ready to break out. These playrs can come on the cheap too.

I see 2 or 3 off the top of my head that are ready to break out:
                          1. Greg Monroe (at center)
                          2. Harrison Barnes

Harrison Barnes might be interesting to put as our starting SF, and could come cheaper than his value.

Or we can always make a trade with some picks for Kevin Love at the deadline with 2-3 1st round picks + expiring and see how that works for us.

He could work with JV being a decent rim protector, Lowry > Rubio, DD >> Martin, bench is good too.
                          Last edited by 2kfeen; Thu Jul 24, 2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Realistically, the Raps would need to find a top 10 player in the league to be a true CONTENDER. Although the Raps have a good young core, they are not talented enough as built to go to the finals. I think for awhile they should be content trying to get to the eastern finals. If they want to be true CONTENDERS, the best option would be to blow up the team (if they cannot get a transcendent player via free-agency or trade) but I don't think that the Raps should go in that direction, too much uncertainty. If they continue to draft well and make good decisions an appearance in the Eastern Conference finals is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Comment

DogeLover123 wrote: View Post
                              Realistically, the Raps would need to find a top 10 player in the league to be a true CONTENDER. Although the Raps have a good young core, they are not talented enough as built to go to the finals. I think for awhile they should be content trying to get to the eastern finals. If they want to be true CONTENDERS, the best option would be to blow up the team (if they cannot get a transcendent player via free-agency or trade) but I don't think that the Raps should go in that direction, too much uncertainty. If they continue to draft well and make good decisions an appearance in the Eastern Conference finals is not out of the realm of possibilities.
                              This is false.

Which top 10 player in the league plays for the Spurs?

Comment

Yes, i love the idea of Harrison Barns!! One of my favorites already and given the opportunity i totally see him being a great player! The Raps ave zero chance of getting Love, also not sure he would resign even if he came.

Comment

Working...
                                X