No announcement yet.

Terrence Ross = Klay Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember who around here made the comparison, but I stiil like the Eddie Jones comparison. He could be better or worse than Eddie, but it seems bang on for the type of players he'll be.

Comment

I'll just leave this here and moonwalk out…

http://bkref.com/tiny/qKDpr

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
        Yeah, when I said worst case we got a Klay Thompson-esque player, I didn't mean right now, I meant later in his career. Maybe I shoulda cleared that up. Maybe that IS too high a floor. But I digress.

Thanks for making fun of me.
        That's the nature of the internet forum. It's an argument for the sake of an argument. I wouldn't take anything to heart.

Good thread.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
          I would propose that statistically he did have better season than Jimmy Butler. It remains to be seen though if Johnson can actually maintain that level of efficient production playing 40mpg though like Butler does (which I doubt he could).

The counter-argument to this has frequently been used against DeRozan in the past. With people using efficient players who take on much less volume and usage, and using that to discredit DeRozan as an "inefficient chucker" or something to that effect.
          So after typing up a few hundred posts in recent months to defend DD against this line of thinking, I figured that you of all people wouldn't be so quick to fall in the same trap with JJ and Butler.

Comment

Yeah, when I said worst case we got a Klay Thompson-esque player, I didn't mean right now, I meant later in his career. Maybe I shoulda cleared that up. Maybe that IS too high a floor. But I digress.

Thanks for making fun of me.
            Didn't mean to make fun of you and I apologize.

I think something you may be overlooking however is that Thompson is still on his upward trend as well. Ross may very well reach the level that Thompson is at right now in a couple seasons, but then where will KT be by then assuming he also keeps improving?

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              That's the nature of the internet forum. It's an argument for the sake of an argument. I wouldn't take anything to heart.

Good thread.
              Not in all cases, if you present an argument, it's usually argued, here, I was sorta kinda made fun of. Nobody actually took the time until now to point out why I actually was wrong. Ah well, maybe I'm just used to that because of commenting elsewhere.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                So after typing up a few hundred posts in recent months to defend DD against this line of thinking, I figured that you of all people wouldn't be so quick to fall in the same trap with JJ and Butler.
                I'd figure you'd know your role and shut your god damn mouth bitch.

Comment

Didn't mean to make fun of you and I apologize.

I think something you may be overlooking however is that Thompson is still on his upward trend as well. Ross may very well reach the level that Thompson is at right now in a couple seasons, but then where will KT be by then assuming he also keeps improving?
                  Improvement is not linear for every player. If you look at Ross' WS/48 numbers trend, and compare it to Thompson's WS/48 numbers, Ross is actually getting better at a faster rate. Of course WS/48 isn't perfect, and I do agree with your statement, but what if Ross is in fact a faster learner? Than he would rocket past Thompson's level.

But anyways.

Comment

Improvement is not linear for every player. If you look at Ross' WS/48 numbers trend, and compare it to Thompson's WS/48 numbers, Ross is actually getting better at a faster rate. Of course WS/48 isn't perfect, and I do agree with your statement, but what if Ross is in fact a faster learner? Than he would rocket past Thompson's level.

But anyways.
                    Regardless of the historical stat comparisons and future stat comparisons, the reality is Ross has a lot of natural skill and ability. For all the hype on DD, in my opinion, Ross is waaaay more naturally gifted than DD. If Ross has now "gotten it" and realized the only way to be great in this league is to work with his natural abilities it could be downright scary.

So much to be optimistic about as a Raptor fan right now. Totally different that '07/'08 and VC era because this team is sustainable from a financial perspective and still improving as individuals.

Comment

T-Ross = Eddie Jones.

Klay = Drazen Petrovic.

If you don't know who Petrovic was. Youtube.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

But anyways.
                        You could be right, but I'd argue that if Ross was a faster learner than Thompson then his second year would have been on par or better than KT's… but it wasn't. It was pretty clearly a level or two below.

Anyways, I've sort of been on a kick with the whole extrapolation thing lately. I sincerely apologize if I came off too harsh and hope that I didn't deter you from posting here again. Cheers.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          Regardless of the historical stat comparisons and future stat comparisons, the reality is Ross has a lot of natural skill and ability. For all the hype on DD, in my opinion, Ross is waaaay more naturally gifted than DD. If Ross has now "gotten it" and realized the only way to be great in this league is to work with his natural abilities it could be downright scary.

So much to be optimistic about as a Raptor fan right now. Totally different that '07/'08 and VC era because this team is sustainable from a financial perspective and still improving as individuals.
                          You were all over DD's dick when he was first drafted to this team. A quick search of your old posts as "Matt52" shows that.

Comment

You could be right, but I'd argue that if Ross was a faster learner than Thompson then his second year would have been on par or better than KT's… but it wasn't. It was pretty clearly a level or two below.

Anyways, I've sort of been on a kick with the whole extrapolation thing lately. I sincerely apologize if I came off too harsh and hope that I didn't deter you from posting here again. Cheers.
                            Don't worry, you haven't, I'll just be more careful here next time with my opinions. And, I should admit, I follow hockey much more religiously (hockey analytics and all that), so I do admit I know a fair bit less about Basketball.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                              But does Thompson have a 51 pointer?
                              Should have been 52 but he missed that last free throw.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Are you Matt52?

Comment

Working...
                                X