Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Fields play in the NBA after this contract?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will Fields play in the NBA after this contract?

I remember there being a lot of press about the Raptors training staff working on his nerve damage in his shooting elbow in 2012-13 and have not heard anything recently. He still plays defense but is a liability on offence. Any one have any more info.

Post Thanks / Like

I think yes.

The league is always looking for guys willing to play for minimum who have good attitude and accept their role while acting professional.

I think Fields is one of those guys.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he will for a minimum contract. He has to work on his shot but he has a high IQ for the game and plays smart and within himself. A player like that who knows there role will always have a place some where. I don't think he will become a starter ever though no.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Salmons and Casspi got contracts. If they can Fields can. If he has any shooting ability left he will sign another terrible deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Salmons and Casspi got contracts. If they can Fields can. If he has any shooting ability left he will sign another terrible deal.
    Has Salmons been signed to a new deal?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I called this contract being Fields' last in the NBA after his first year in Toronto and I'll stick with it. I personally like him but his skill set has degenerated into dime-a-dozen territory unfortunately.

Raptors Republic All-Star e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Has Salmons been signed to a new deal?
    Yeah with the pellis
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I called this contract being Fields' last in the NBA after his first year in Toronto and I'll stick with it.
    You just never know with these nerve-related injuries. I believe someone on RR said that he had had a similar injury and it takes over a year to heal. We do know that Fields was in great pain last season, to the point where he just had to get an operation. I hope that by mid-season, a year after his operation, he will start to show signs of being able to shoot securely once again. If that happens, he has a chance to continue his career, especially given his defensive chops.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    You just never know with these nerve-related injuries. I believe someone on RR said that he had had a similar injury and it takes over a year to heal. We do know that Fields was in great pain last season, to the point where he just had to get an operation. I hope that by mid-season, a year after his operation, he will start to show signs of being able to shoot securely once again. If that happens, he has a chance to continue his career, especially given his defensive chops.
    nice to see someone acknowledging his injury.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I called this contract being Fields' last in the NBA after his first year in Toronto and I'll stick with it. I personally like him but his skill set has degenerated into dime-a-dozen territory unfortunately.
    Aight then. Name me 12 other doodes that can play the 2-4 positions, play lock down d, have a high bb iq, and is a professional. I guarantee he is not a dime a dozen
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fields does have that Stanford degree, so he should be set to find a job.

Fields is a great locker room guy and is a terrific defender. He also has a high basketball IQ, and on the offensive end, makes terrific cuts to the basket.

I think he can get a contract.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    He had his surgery in November 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Aight then. Name me 12 other doodes that can play the 2-4 positions, play lock down d, have a high bb iq, and is a professional. I guarantee he is not a dime a dozen
    He played 30 games last year, and only had 3 meaningful outings after Christmas including his one playoff game. I think the onus is on you to name me 12 other guys who have had 50+ DNPs or inactives (no injury, just simply not good enough to crack the lineup most nights) during a regular season that have turned around and signed a guaranteed contract the next chance they got. Now tell me how many of that extremely short list (if any) had only one working arm.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And I believe the comment from one of the mods on here was that it was a year and a half minimum for recovery, so sometime in May of 2014. Then five months of work to get his shot back and get into shape for a contract year effort. Fields is going to blow up this year. Lock him up now before the rest of the league finds out.

All kidding aside, it would be great if he showed any level of recovery at all.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

That was the elbow surgery. The wrist surgery was in January 2014:

"TORONTO -- Raptors forward Landry Fields will be sidelined for several weeks after having surgery on his right wrist.

The Raptors said it was a "minor surgical procedure" to an issue with the ulnar nerve in his hand. Fields underwent ulnar nerve transposition surgery in November 2012 to alleviate nerve compression in his right elbow."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-wrist-surgery

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the recent surgery was basically clean up from the major one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Yeah with the pellis
    Wow.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Wow.
    I'm not that surprised he signed a contract; veteran that can pass, shoot, and defend. We all forget, despite some of the bad play to end the season, and those free-throws I will never forget against Oklahoma City, he was a huge contributor off the pine for the Raptors this past season. We also forget that he has been an NBA starter at a point in his career, and arotational player for years; he's a solid player with skills and experience. It's just, we're no longer in need of the veteran-ship, when a guy like James Johnson + draftees bring same thing to the table in terms of skills. That's why a younger team like the Pelicans went out and got him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    he was a huge contributor off the pine in January for the Raptors this past season.
    Fixed that for you.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My comment on Fields, is I hope he stays with the Raptors on a much cheaper deal. Extremely smart basketball player, finished around the rim, can pass, handle the ball, create for others, defend, rebound, and moves so well without the ball. He is one of the best all-around players in the league, it's just unfortunate he's been held back with injuries ever since he joined the team back in the Summer of 2012.

We've seen in stints, that he brings a great deal of skill to the table. He's as close to a lockdown defender there is, the guy is also so professional. Even if he doesn't sign back with the Raptors, I hope it's with a team that utilizes his skills well. IF he recovers from the nerve damage he's had in his right arm.

IF he recovers, and can return to some of the shooting that he had in New York, than all the more better for him and the team.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information