Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will Fields play in the NBA after this contract?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    He had his surgery in November 2012.
    He had another surgery last year as well. The first one was not as successful as hoped.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Hey.... C'mon now!

Okay:

he was a huge contributor off the pine in January, February, and some of March for the Raptors this past season.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, he'll get a deal someplace else. Miracles do happen.

Does anyone have anything on him working out/doing anything basketball related this offseason? A TV show, and he's been on honeymoon for the better part of July. Looks like he's mailing in this last year...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Fixed that for you.
    So far...

Kings trade useless Salmons
    Pels release useless Casspi
    Pels sign Salmons
    Kings sign Casspi

Moe smacks both King and Pels with one slap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Hey.... C'mon now!

Okay:
    Ehhh. I thought so as I lived the season, but looking back at the stat lines he put up, he was terrible awful anytime but January.

Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
    Fields does have that Stanford degree, so he should be set to find a job.

Fields is a great locker room guy and is a terrific defender. He also has a high basketball IQ, and on the offensive end, makes terrific cuts to the basket.

I think he can get a contract.
    When Jeremy Lin was looking for a home in NY, Fields let him sleep on his couch. That's all I need to say about locker room guy from Fields.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ehhh. I thought so as I lived the season, but looking back at the stat lines he put up, he was terrible awful anytime but January.
    I guess you've got a point there. But.... vets wins games.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fields is a no risk, low-mid reward player. The skills he does have (defense, passing, screening, moving without the ball, high IQ) aren't affected by whatever has broken his shot, and will only break down (barring other injuries) after he's on the other side of 30. Since he's only 26 now, he will definitely get another contract.

Low usage players who know their role and are happy to play within the system are always useful. AND That's assuming that teams don't think they can fix his shot. If a team thought there was any hope of that (and you now have to assume that a broken forever shot, may be a possibility) He'd probably get a 2-3 year deal at 4 mil/year. As it stands, I wouldn't be surprised if gets 2.5-3 mill/year on his next contract.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

9. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To reiterate (I am a LF fan) the timeline for potential normalcy for most nerve damage issues is about 18 mos. I have also seen comparisons to the feared ACL injuries where nerves are also affected (see Lou Williams). The overall rehab also includes the psychological affects of low confidence a pro bb player must have to overcome when dealing with making shots or quick cuts/lateral movements. Anyhow, coincidentally, this season will tell the tale on the validity of the 18 mos. recuperative timeline. Hope it comes about both for the players and the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    To reiterate (I am a LF fan) the timeline for potential normalcy for most nerve damage issues is about 18 mos. I have also seen comparisons to the feared ACL injuries where nerves are also affected (see Lou Williams). The overall rehab also includes the psychological affects of low confidence a pro bb player must have to overcome when dealing with making shots or quick cuts/lateral movements. Anyhow, coincidentally, this season will tell the tale on the validity of the 18 mos. recuperative timeline. Hope it comes about both for the players and the Raptors.
    Wasn't there also talk that he was having back trouble at the end of this season? Casey was catching flak for only putting him on JJ once, but I thought I read that Fields basically couldn't play bc of back trouble.

It feels like a bit of a pipe dream to hope Fields recovers enough to be useful this season, but that would sure be great. He's a much more skilled player, when healthy, than James Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Wasn't there also talk that he was having back trouble at the end of this season? Casey was catching flak for only putting him on JJ once, but I thought I read that Fields basically couldn't play bc of back trouble.

It feels like a bit of a pipe dream to hope Fields recovers enough to be useful this season, but that would sure be great. He's a much more skilled player, when healthy, than James Johnson.
    He hurt his back when he flew out of bounds on the last play trying to save possession. Smashed into the courtside chairs. Seems more like a short term injury than a nagging issue.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A relevant piece of the interview LF had with Dime after the past season....

Dime: On the NBA front, you’ve unfortunately dealt with some nagging injuries since you arrived to Toronto. What are your plans for this summer to make sure you can have a big impact next season?

LF: This time is big time for Physical Therapy for my hand and arm. I was able to see another doctor and get more specific with my rehab process so I’m hoping that this will be the finale of this whole ordeal. But if not, I’m always willing to work no matter what it takes and I’m going to be in it until it ends. So right now, that’s kind of the focus and just kind of bringing back my game to where I know exactly where it can be pre-injury status.

Dime: You guys became one of the more exciting teams in the league this year between your youth, athleticism and fan base. How does this Toronto team differ from the Knicks team you played on a few years ago?

LF: The biggest thing with this team to me, was the chemistry and the guys that were on the team. I’ve never been around any team, not just NBA, where it was a collective group that was willing to work hard to sacrifice whatever role was given to them. People that we’re at the end of the bench to the starting five no matter what, they were going to do what was necessary for the team to be successful. On top of that, like I was saying with the chemistry — everybody liked each other. I mean, I loved everybody in the room. Sometimes you get around guys and they have different personalities and you might not mesh with them as well but this was a very special, core group of guys and I think that spoke volumes of the kind of success that we had. It wasn’t necessarily that we were the most talented in the league, even though we had phenomenal players, all-stars, whatever. It was kind of the intangibles and the extra stuff which I think was a huge part of our success.
    Most of the piece was about his show biz career!

http://www.thehardwoodnation.com/201...ry-fields.html

14. Like caccia liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fields missed action in the playoffs because of back issues. My apologies to Casey.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    He played 30 games last year, and only had 3 meaningful outings after Christmas including his one playoff game. I think the onus is on you to name me 12 other guys who have had 50+ DNPs or inactives (no injury, just simply not good enough to crack the lineup most nights) during a regular season that have turned around and signed a guaranteed contract the next chance they got. Now tell me how many of that extremely short list (if any) had only one working arm.
    Umm, you didn't answer my question at all. You claimed that he is a dime a dozen but didn't name a single player with the same skill set as him.

And you said you called him not getting another contract the year he signed this one. That would imply that you thought he was a dime a dozen that year. The year he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4.

So please elaborate on your claim
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

i think so. he's a good defender. too bad about the injuries.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Salmons and Casspi got contracts. If they can Fields can. If he has any shooting ability left he will sign another terrible deal.
    Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    You just never know with these nerve-related injuries. I believe someone on RR said that he had had a similar injury and it takes over a year to heal. We do know that Fields was in great pain last season, to the point where he just had to get an operation. I hope that by mid-season, a year after his operation, he will start to show signs of being able to shoot securely once again. If that happens, he has a chance to continue his career, especially given his defensive chops.
    Hopefully he can play well enough before the trade deadline to attract interest from other GMs. He, I guess, still has value as an expiring contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Salmons and Casspi got contracts. If they can Fields can. If he has any shooting ability left he will sign another terrible deal.
    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Umm, you didn't answer my question at all. You claimed that he is a dime a dozen but didn't name a single player with the same skill set as him.

And you said you called him not getting another contract the year he signed this one. That would imply that you thought he was a dime a dozen that year. The year he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4.

http://www.fansboard.com/matchPlayer...=Landry-Fields

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice website. Haven't seen it before.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post

First off, the season he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4 was his last year in New York. His first year in Toronto, he played 51 games and averaged 4 & 4 (on 45% from the field and 14% from 3), at which time I predicted that this contract would be his last.

And I think you're missing my entire point - there aren't dozens of other guys like Fields in the league because guys like that don't hold down league jobs for very long. Take a look at that link that was posted with similar players to Fields… Shavlik Randolph, Brandon Davies, Archie Goodwin…. the very definition of fringe NBAers, and most of those guys still managed to see more court time than LF did last year. When I say he's a dime-a-dozen I mean he's very replaceable. Athletic wingmen who can play pretty good D but don't have the offensive game to play at the NBA level aren't that rare… and most of them will be younger, cheaper and have more upside than Fields going forward. Oh, and they'll also have two functional arms.

I think you're overrating Field's "skill set". His mechanics and confidence have gotten so bad that he looks terrified to attempt a lay up when he's on the court. I think he's an excellent defensive player but that is mitigated by the fact that he was only on the court for 300 minutes last year. Then you've got the other intangible qualities that always seem to get brought up with Fields like his high basketball IQ and excellent off-ball cutting skills; which honestly just sound like things you'd say if you had nothing measurable to point to that he does well.

It's okay to be realistic about our own players. You'd swear I said JV wasn't going to get another contract based on some of the reactions. Fields had a good first half to his rookie year in New York, and has been on the downward spiral ever since. His second year was worse than his first, his third worse than his second, and last year's season was the worst of them all. He played 30 games and scored 2 & 2! 40% shooting with only ONE, yes I said one, shot outside of 12 feet made all year. He's been a below average NBA player for 3 years and counting.

I'll reiterate that I like Fields personally and hope he bounces back but at this point I'm considering him a lost cause. It's been just under two full years since his original surgery and he's still heading in the wrong direction. At some point you have to stop making excuses for him - "just six more months and he should have his shot form back!" - and realize that he may be done. I guess we'll know in a year's time but put me down for this contract being his last.
    Last edited by Fully; Wed Jul 30th, 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tonious35 wrote: View Post
    When Jeremy Lin was looking for a home in NY, Fields let him sleep on his couch. That's all I need to say about locker room guy from Fields.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information