Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 15 Man Roster Complete, this is how it looks

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's Damian Lillard saying a couple things about his Oakland rival.

http://youtu.be/z8cTcLA3nbs
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I like the signing of Will Cherry his quick but, most importantly his a + defender.

He was the only player that could stand up to Damian Lillard in the Big Sky conference. He actually beat Lillard in two consecutive year in the Big Sky championship I believe. You could say that his responsible for Lillard never making the NCAA tournament.

I feel his a better fit as a third string PG than Buycks was. I always feel that the players at the end of the bench should be hard nosed defensive type guys. In practise your starter really get tested everyday. Buycks who could defend but, he thought more about scoring the ball than anything. His also two years younger than Buycks.

Here's his best game from Summer league.
    http://youtu.be/p2HyjnFNvds
    Yea I think him being younger, being a good defender and wanting to defend, and being a better facilitator than Buycks makes him the better prospect and player. I saw an interview where he said playing D is his calling card and he knows that needs to be his focus in the NBA. That right there is what you want to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Cherry is also quicker and more athletic than Buycks. Not by much but still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tonious35 wrote: View Post
    It is EXPIRING. There will be a "tanking" team able to take that contract from a trade, unless they do a buy-out and he returns to us for pennies. Do like the Chuck Wagon in the locker room, always a positive guy.
    Can't trade a player, have him waived, and re-sign him anymore. New CBA stopped that.

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Can't trade a player, have him waived, and re-sign him anymore. New CBA stopped that.
    I'd also hate an organization for treating players that way.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    I'd also hate an organization for treating players that way.
    Meh. Players used to re-sign with their teams all the time. They still get paid, usually the buyout happens same day and they can re-sign without ever reporting to their new team. Players know how the business works.

But yeah, that's all in the past. No re-signing a player you traded away until the following July 1st now.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh. Players used to re-sign with their teams all the time. They still get paid, usually the buyout happens same day and they can re-sign without ever reporting to their new team. Players know how the business works.

But yeah, that's all in the past. No re-signing a player you traded away until the following July 1st now.
    If you were Danny Granger and received an offer from the Pacers, would you have resigned there?

(Hypothetical discussion)
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were Danny Granger and received an offer from the Pacers, would you have resigned there?

(Hypothetical discussion)
    Yes. If it was agreed that I would be waived upon being traded.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm the oldschool one.
    Myself (March 2014):

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm the oldschool one.
    Old school how? If a team trades a player away without their consent, sure, they'd be pissed and not re-sign. Most players though understand and see the benefits of a trade-and-re-sign, and teams in that situation often will not do the trade without the player's consent, as the veteran player can be more valuable than the minimal return they would get or cap room they would clear. Teams were able to do it so often precisely because players wanted to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Old school how? If a team trades a player away without their consent, sure, they'd be pissed and not re-sign. Most players though understand and see the benefits of a trade-and-re-sign, and teams in that situation often will not do the trade without the player's consent, as the veteran player can be more valuable than the minimal return they would get or cap room they would clear. Teams were able to do it so often precisely because players wanted to do it.
    This is pretty much what I was referring too, see Kyle Lowry with Houston.

As a player I would have no issues with being part of a sign and trade.
    Myself (March 2014):

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty much what I was referring too, see Kyle Lowry with Houston.

As a player I would have no issues with being part of a sign and trade.
    Historically, every player who has been waived and re-signed with their team knew and gave the go ahead for the trade in the first place. In the hypothetical Hayes scenario, we wouldn't be trading him and pissing him off and trying to re-sign him. We'd be telling him before we traded him that a) we were trading him to clear cap room and b) he would be waived by the receiving team and still get all his money and c) we would re-sign him to keep him on the team, and he'd actually get even more money because his new contract with us would be above and beyond his money from his original contract.

That's how that stuff went down.

Doesn't matter now, since it is illegal. But there were never examples of players getting traded and being pissed about it and then getting re-signed after being waived.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
    As a third-string PF, I don't mind Hansbrough. I'd prefer to see Hayes get flipped because he's too small to play PF/C. Not agile/fast enough to play SF. I'd trade him for cash and a second rounder if it'd free up a roster spot.
    Hayes is only good if he can out-muscle guys like Munroe, Cousins and (I'm dreaming) Dwight under the hoop. If not, then there's no point to him being in the NBA.

Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    Hayes is only good if he can out-muscle guys like Munroe, Cousins and (I'm dreaming) Dwight under the hoop. If not, then there's no point to him being in the NBA.
    Unless we are trading Chuck at the trade deadline in 2015 for a young asset he is not going anywhere till then. Chuck has the body to box out just about anyone playing the 5 in the league, HOWEVER he has no hops so we have to augment him when he is on the floor with a guy who can get up and clean the glass while Chuck leans all over the opppositions offensive rebounders. Chuck is a true pro, is low mainteance, and shows up every day. We could do much worse.

If GM for a day I would have made an offer to Emeka Okafor and stashed Bebe for another year in Europe. But I am not so we go with what we have and its going to be enough unless JV goes down. Then we are in a helluva hole till he gets back in the middle.

Raptors Republic Rookie godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    He's made a career of "outliving his usefulness". I have to applaud his tenacity.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bebe is on board!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    Bebe is on board!

So NBA contracts are signed in coffee shops with some random guy as a witness. Seems legit.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    So NBA contracts are signed in coffee shops with some random guy as a witness. Seems legit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    That's not a random guy, that's Bruno Lol

Raptors Republic Rookie Rapzilla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    That's not a random guy, that's Bruno Lol
    haha you beat me to it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information