No announcement yet.

Israel-Palestine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 hour ceasefire just started.., Israel withdrew its troops from Gaza.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      72 hour ceasefire just started.., Israel withdrew its troops from Gaza.
      Lol Not before bombing a Refugee Camp and killing an 8 year old girl, during their own ceasefire. It's all PR for Israel at this point.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        The "intractable" problems for a 2 state solution are or seem to be best I can tell:

1. Jerusalem be divided between Israel & new Palestinian state
        2. Jewish settlements built on Palestinian land beyond the 1967 borders which screws with the contiguity of the West bank territory.
        3 Water rights
        4. A connection (road) between Gaza & West Bank
        5. Most contentious: return of those Palestinians who had property in Israel proper/right of return. The US I believe has offered much $$ to assist with this but it is of course an emotional issue.
        6. And then there is the guarantee of Israel's security.

Many if not all points have had some element of understanding reached ...but yet this bs keeps going on and on and..
        I would also add...

7) Blockade imposed by Israel needs to be lifted.

8) Border Crossings need to be opened.

9) Uninhabitable Military "Buffer Zone" within Gaza which takes up 44% of livable land needs to be removed.

Bendit wrote: View Post
        As an aside...coincidentally, I came across and now watching a BBC 8 part (each 60 min) series (sophisticated writing and well made) with this problem as backdrop ...with a real good cast. Just 6 parts are available as of now and well worth seeing as well as entertaining. It's called "The Honourable Woman".
        Will definitely be checking this out.
        Last edited by Joey; Tue Aug 5, 2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
          Lol Not before bombing a Refugee Camp and killing an 8 year old girl, during their own ceasefire. It's all PR for Israel at this point.
          What are you talking about? Ceasefire began at 05:00 AM GMT. One minute before truce, air raid sirens sounded in Tel Aviv, because Hamas fired a barrage of rockets at central Israel. Last Israeli attack happened 4:53-56 AM GMT on so-called "32rd border tunnel". No people died since ceasefire began. Also, Israeli forces are in defensive positions right now.

Also, I read few reports from journalists who are in Gaza. They say it's very quiet now, fishermen started doing their job, etc etc etc
          Last edited by rocwell; Tue Aug 5, 2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

What are you talking about? Ceasefire began at 05:00 AM GMT. One minute before truce, air raid sirens sounded in Tel Aviv, because Hamas fired a barrage of rockets at central Israel. Last Israeli attack happened 4:53-56 AM GMT on so-called "32rd border tunnel". No people died since ceasefire began. Also, Israeli forces are in defensive positions right now.
            What am I talking about?...

Israel 'breaks Gaza ceasefire' as 8-year-old girl killed
            Palestinians have accused Israel of breaking its own cease-fire by launching an attack which killed an 8-year-old girl in a refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip

Moments after a partial cease-fire came into effect in Gaza on Monday, an Israeli air strike is reported to have hit a house at the Shati refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip.

Three people were killed, including an eight-year-old girl, and at least 30 wounded, according to Gaza health official Ashraf al-Kidra.

The incident happened shortly after 10am local time, just after the ceasefire came into effect.

The Israeli military has confirmed it targeted an "operative threat" with rocket fire "around 10am".

The seven-hour "humanitarian cease-fire" came into effect in Gaza at 10am local time (8am BST) on Monday, although the southern strip town of Rafah, which saw heavy fighting Sunday, was excluded from the truce, the Israeli military said.
            Source
            It called a ceasefire yesterday. Then broke it. Then called another one.

Also, I read few reports from journalists who are in Gaza. They say it's very quiet now, fishermen started doing their job, etc etc etc
            Fishermen have been trying to go out this whole time, only to be blown out of the water by Israel. So thats nice they're letting them fish ...
            Last edited by Joey; Tue Aug 5, 2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

What am I talking about?...

It called a ceasefire yesterday. Then broke it. Then called another one.

Fishermen have been trying to go out this whole time, only to be blown out of the water by Israel. So thats nice they're letting them fish ...
              You're talking about totally different ceasefire and I'm talking about Egyptians ceasefire proposal which was accepted by Hamas and Israel.

Israel didn't call for another ceasefire after they broke 7 hour truce.

Comment

You're talking about totally different ceasefire and I'm talking about Egyptians ceasefire proposal which was accepted by Hamas and Israel.

Israel didn't call for another ceasefire after they broke 7 hour truce.
                Ok? Regardless, Israel proposed a ceasefire, and then broke it.
                And THEN started pulling out troops after it did. Its all PR.

Comment

Ok? Regardless, Israel proposed a ceasefire, and then broke it.
                  And THEN started pulling out troops after it did. Its all PR.
                  Yes, I know that Israeli propaganda machine has been in action for a very long time, but are you really telling me that Israel troops gave up strategic positions just for PR shit? Israel withdrew troops from Gaza because Hamas accepted Egyptian 72 hour truce proposal. That's my opinion. It would be just stupid to give up strategic ground positions just for PR, especially at this moment when Hamas army are on the brink of collapse. I'm pretty sure this ceasefire has saved Hamas from collapsing.

Comment

Yes, I know that Israeli propaganda machine has been in action for a very long time, but are you really telling me that Israel troops gave up strategic positions just for PR shit? Israel withdrew troops from Gaza because Hamas accepted Egyptian 72 hour truce proposal. That's my opinion. It would be just stupid to give up strategic ground positions just for PR, especially at this moment when Hamas army are on the brink of collapse. I'm pretty sure this ceasefire has saved Hamas from collapsing.
                    Because it will now be so difficult for them to storm back in? They've basically turned all of Gaza into a pile of rubble.

Don't underestimate what PR can do for you in a War. The world is turning on Israel and they know it. The court of public opinion goes alot further than most think.

Comment

Because it will now be so difficult for them to storm back in? They've basically turned all of Gaza into a pile of rubble.

Don't underestimate what PR can do for you in a War. The world is turning on Israel and they know it. The court of public opinion goes alot further than most think.
                      Course not... Just one thing.. if Israeli army uses same ground attack strategy and if they launch invasion from their defensive positions.. then they can say good byes to their servicemen. We'd see something similar to Winter War stats.. just in lower numbers.
                      Last edited by rocwell; Tue Aug 5, 2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Oh and yes, PR is huge in wars... Everyone knows it. It'll backfire for Israel one day, as it happened for Soviet Union...
                        Last edited by rocwell; Tue Aug 5, 2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Both sides have their wrongs. It's just unfortunate the Palestinian civilians are the ones that suffer. I do feel however that Hamas is the greater evil. They never show any care for their own citizens, other than using them as human shields and campaigning to the world how evil Israel is.

Israel is just fortunate to have better weapon technology so the rockets that Hamas fires are just intercepted and have not created any massive casualties as far as we know. Everyone knows that Hamas's main goal is to completely destroy Israel. Israel has been defending themselves for years since no one wants them there. However, I am against those zionists and jewish supremacists as I have read how they discriminate against Arab Israelis and Palestinians.

My question is though, who actually rules Palestine? Why is their president Mahmood Abbas seem to be MIA in all this chaos?

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Oh wow ... That's gold. Thanks for posting this Random.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                                Both sides have their wrongs. It's just unfortunate the Palestinian civilians are the ones that suffer. I do feel however that Hamas is the greater evil. They never show any care for their own citizens, other than using them as human shields and campaigning to the world how evil Israel is.

Israel is just fortunate to have better weapon technology so the rockets that Hamas fires are just intercepted and have not created any massive casualties as far as we know. Everyone knows that Hamas's main goal is to completely destroy Israel. Israel has been defending themselves for years since no one wants them there. However, I am against those zionists and jewish supremacists as I have read how they discriminate against Arab Israelis and Palestinians.

My question is though, who actually rules Palestine? Why is their president Mahmood Abbas seem to be MIA in all this chaos?
                                Palestinians do not have a country hence while they have a form of governing authority really no one "rules it". Israel are the occupiers so in fact they have ultimate power over issues most important to a free people. Abbas was elected by all Palestinians and operates from the West Bank while Hamas (a major party amongst the Ps) rules in Gaza. Their leader Meshal lives in Qatar for obvious reasons.

In many ways Abbas is a bit of a puppet. He has received nothing from the Israelis who have in fact expropriated more Palestinian land for their housing settlements on the West Bank (something about it being biblically ordained !).

You will find some basic info below...its a couple of years old but lol not much has changed:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rassed-to-ask/

Comment

Working...
                                X