Ebola Outbreak 2014 - Contagion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post
    Really? I thought that vaccine uses cold virus to deliver a inactive portion of Ebola to body? just like with other virus vaccines.
    As I understand how the trial is run...what you say is essentially correct but this only creates antibodies used by the immune system to fight the real thing. In order to ensure the vaccine is actually working against the full blown active virus the patient/vaccined has to be exposed. I believe this is the only way to confirm. Obviously this has worked successfully in the laboratory and on animals and I am sure they have plenty of Z-mapp on hand as backup.

One other item I read today is that if blood from a ex-Ebola patient now deemed cured is given to an existing patient this is known to work as well. It has in the case of one patient with blood from the US doctor who was flown back just a while back. This is being done again in the case of the nurse now afflicted in Dallas. The principle of antibodies is at work here too.

Comment

• Then of course if the virus mutates again the vaccine they're working on is useless.

Bendit wrote: View Post
      One other item I read today is that if blood from a ex-Ebola patient now deemed cured is given to an existing patient this is known to work as well. It has in the case of one patient with blood from the US doctor who was flown back just a while back. This is being done again in the case of the nurse now afflicted in Dallas. The principle of antibodies is at work here too.
      Two problems. There aren't many survivors and you may not be the right blood type.

Local Dallas writeup:
      The Centers for Disease Control is investigating how that infected nurse came in contact with the virus while wearing proper protective gear and following preventative guidelines.

A local infectious disease doctor Michael Jelinek said, "My biggest concern is that we don't have enough knowledge about the virus, this outbreak and whether it's mutated or not."

Ebola is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as blood, sweat or mucus. If an infected man sneezes on his hand and touches a table, the virus can live there for several hours. Anyone can then pick up the virus. Dr. Jelinek said that could change as the virus mutates.

Dr. Jelinek said, "We know how to stop the transmission of HIV, that's very simple. We know how to stop the transmission of influenza, that's also very simple, but I don't think it's been fully defined how to stop the transmission of Ebola."

According to the doctor, the United States is much better equipped to handle an outbreak than West Africa, but is not convinced everything is under control. He said, "I just kind of object to the powers that be telling us well we don't need to worry about this because we have it all under control. Well, under control means nobody else is going to get it."
      http://www.krgv.com/mobile/news/loca...d-about-ebola/

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• So.. Second Texas healthworker tests positive for Ebola.

It's really hard to believe that 2 professionals made same mistake and got infected

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          So.. Second Texas healthworker tests positive for Ebola.

It's really hard to believe that 2 professionals made same mistake and got infected
          Pretty scary actually, considering they MUST have been taking almost all possible precautions ... and there's no way the one survivor has enough blood to do another transfusion. He's already done like 3.

Now its a test to see if they can actually just fight this thing with good ol' Texas brute force!

Comment

• CDC is asking all 132 passengers of Frontier Airlines flight 1143 Cleveland to Dallas to contact them. 2nd healthworker w/ Ebola was on this plane day before diagnosis.

Comment

• Not only that, I'm sure she did become contagious immediately after boarding the plane. No, she was contagious in Ohio and so there may be people infected there as well.

This is becoming more serious by the day. There were over 70 healthcare workers helping patient zero. Incubation period suggests you're going to see many more very, very soon if this is in fact airborne or spread by aerosol.

How many people are they monitoring now, a couple hundred? Yet no flights are stopping and no one is using respirators while treating Ebola patients and they're being admitted through the same process as anybody else in the hospital. This is crazy town. They should be quarantining all those exposed to these infected people until they prove they're healthy because this thing is clearly spreading easier than official statements.

Comment

• Someone missed the boat on or breeched the "controlled" movement procedure. This should be obvious...forbidding anyone in the nursing/contact group taking a commercial flight during the potential incubation period. As I see it the patient Duncan died on Oct 8 and the second afflicted nurse took a flight to Cleveland on the 10th. Amazing. This nurse should at a minimum have travelled no where until the end of this month.

Comment

• So to recap:

1. They're not controlling entry points as they're not stopping flights and the screening processes they've yet to deploy can be beaten by ibuprofen.

2. They're not taking sufficient measures to prevent the spread to health care workers while critical doctors all over America have come out and said these nurses need respirator masks or full on hazmat suits.

3. They're letting people in contract with victims travel in the general public as normal.

4. They want to rush an untested vaccine and some have mused about making it forced inoculation; one of the risks here is live viruses mistakenly tainting the vaccines and there are other risks such as vaccine induced neurological issues.

5. Obama is only now having a meeting to talk about containment... After it's already now breaking lose with maybe 200 people being watched.

This isn't West Africa, they have the means and resources to beat this but they're either too incompetent or for some reason unwilling to do what must be done to stop this now.

Here's a look into the future if they don't smarten up soon:
                  Schools have shut down, elections have been postponed, mining and logging companies have withdrawn, farmers have abandoned their fields.
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/wo...rica.html?_r=0

Sounds like economic meltdown.

Comment

• Oh, here's one blip of good news I missed last week from October 9th:
                    Dallas sheriff's deputy does NOT have Ebola: Cop who went into infected apartment tests negative for deadly disease
                    • Sergeant Michael Monnig has developed no symptoms consistent with the early stage of Ebola after 24 hours of monitoring
                    • He went to an urgent care clinic on Wednesday and complained of stomach pain, which could be an early sign of the disease
                    • Sgt Monnig spent 30 minutes in the Dallas apartment where Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan stayed before he was hospitalized
                    • Public health officials said the risk of him getting infected was almost zero

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-disease.html

One question is how did Duncan's family not get this but the nurses did while wearing protective gear? That doesn't make sense at all to me.

Followed up by some very sad news from today:
                    A total of 4,493 people have died from the world's worst Ebola outbreak on record by Oct. 12, statistics released by the World Health Organization showed on Wednesday.

WHO said a total of 8,997 confirmed, probable, and suspected cases of Ebola had been reported in seven countries. These include Spain and the United States, where a handful of healthcare workers are ill, and Senegal and Nigeria, which appear to have prevented further spread of the disease.

"It is clear... that the situation in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone is deteriorating, with widespread and persistent transmission of (Ebola)," the WHO report stated.
                    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/1...4500-who-says/

And the UN is sounding bleak:

Comment

• So it sounds more now like the nurses caught virus due to negligence/incompetence in hospital management:
                      DALLAS—A Liberian Ebola patient was left in an open area of a Dallas emergency room for hours, and the nurses treating him worked for days without proper protective gear and faced constantly changing protocols, according to a statement released late Tuesday by the largest U.S. nurses’ union.

Nurses were forced to use medical tape to secure openings in their flimsy garments, worried that their necks and heads were exposed as they cared for a patient with explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting, said Deborah Burger of National Nurses United.

Burger convened a conference call with reporters to relay what she said were concerns raised by nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where Thomas Eric Duncan — the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S. — died last week.
                      http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...es_charge.html

Comment

• Yep, Apollo, flip side of the information age is that things can't be silenced. If true, this rumor is pretty worrying.
                        http://www.reddit.com/r/ebola/commen...cy_broke_that/

Comment

• I don't know... this mismanagement thing sounds very fishy.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            Yep, Apollo, flip side of the information age is that things can't be silenced. If true, this rumor is pretty worrying.
                            http://www.reddit.com/r/ebola/commen...cy_broke_that/
                            Well, we'll see how much of this turns out true but if it does then the hospital management and the CDC are liars on multiple fronts.

rocwell wrote: View Post
                            I don't know... this mismanagement thing sounds very fishy.
                            You're in university, right? Just wait until you get out and start working, you'll see...

Comment

• Fuck, the only way this could get worse is if the dead bodies reanimate into zombies.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• LOL, well that hasn't happened so not all is lost yet double O.

I did read this article a while ago on how Ebola is related to rabies and how in some sort of worst nightmare scenario you could have something like 32 days later happen but that's pretty far out there on the crazy meter.

Comment

Working...
                                X