Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 89

Thread: Bennett and Wiggins future of the 3 and 4 spot?

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Our bench scoring is the reason we got Lou Will. Bennett replaces PsychoT as the energy big. His ability to grab offensive rebounds against slower PF and smaller SF on a three point shooting second unit helps alot. He is the tweener between JJ and 2Pats. Able to play both but worse defensively than either.
    He's worse defensively than both. He is also worse offensively than 2Pat, and maybe, just maybe, a bit better than JJ at this point. However, JJ can also crash the glass (is taller and more athletic even than Bennett, while being strong too) and be that guy on the 2nd unit with shooters. We don't really need added shooting that badly on the unit since we'll probably have 3 shooters on the floor (the only plus Bennett would bring over JJ), not if it comes at the price of D and without any other real benefit.

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Who are the last 5 players who turned down their big extension to take the QO and become a free agent?
    They usually get traded before it happens. I remember Ben Gordon threatening to do it
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Our bench scoring is the reason we got Lou Will. Bennett replaces PsychoT as the energy big. His ability to grab offensive rebounds against slower PF and smaller SF on a three point shooting second unit helps alot. He is the tweener between JJ and 2Pats. Able to play both but worse defensively than either.
    Psycho T is what he is, however in order for Bennet to improve and be a better player he will need at least 20-25 minutes next season and that is something the Raptors cannot afford to give him because it will hurt them. Plus they already got enough projects on their hands (Bebe, Bruno and Cherry) they do not need another player that requires alot time and attention in order to improve.

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Psycho T is what he is, however in order for Bennet to improve and be a better player he will need at least 20-25 minutes next season and that is something the Raptors cannot afford to give him because it will hurt them. Plus they already got enough projects on their hands (Bebe, Bruno and Cherry) they do not need another player that requires alot time and attention in order to improve.
    A trade Fields + Hands + Tor 2016 1st for Bennett opens a roster spot and space for Blatche with the remaining MLE.

  5. #65
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    A trade Fields + Hands + Tor 2016 1st for Bennett opens a roster spot and space for Blatche with the remaining MLE.
    I really, really don't like the idea of paying blatche to play for us.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

  6. Like Scraptor liked this post
  7. #66
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I really, really don't like the idea of paying blatche to play for us.
    Even if it isn't Blatche having an open spot with the leftover MLE + Bennett solves our C problem potentially.

  8. #67
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But we also sacrifice a huge chunk of our cap space next year. Bennett is owed 6 mill, and we'd be paying this back up center of yours a couple mill too.

    Let's just stick with what we've got, use this season for further development and cash our chips next year.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

  9. Like Bendit liked this post
  10. #68
    Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I can't really get on board with planning for/celebrating something that won't happen until a minimum of 4 years, and in all likelihood, probably 7 or more years.

    Plus maybe it's just the beaten up Raptors fan in me talking but I feel bad that Wiggins hasn't even been officially traded to Minnesota yet and everyone is already saying that he's as good as gone the first chance he gets.

    And it's not just the message board warriors either - Michael Grange penned a ridiculous article for Sportsnet yesterday that states just that. He lists all the reasons why Minnesota has no chance to retain him (cold winters, losing history, tax issues), forgetting that the Raptors are only one unexpected good season removed from all of the above being pinned to their franchise by outsiders as well.

    He also says that stealing Wiggins from Minnesota will be "easy as pie" the first chance we get, etc. etc. 7 years is an eternity in the NBA. Minny could be coming off back to back titles by then. The Raptors could be back in the dumper. Wiggins could have two surgically repaired knees. Raptors may not have cap room or could have their own star SF. I mean we're talking about 2021 here! Grange should know better.
    I really don't like this free agency hype, especially when it's so far away. The only thing it serves to do is create unrealistic expectations and then a massive backlash. If Wiggins doesn't come home, some idiots are going to start calling him a traitor the way they did with Nash--except to the power of ten.

    Houston and Chicago this summer should be perfect examples of not counting your chickens before they hatch. The best laid plans of Masai and men often go awry.

  11. #69
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    2,046
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Who are the last 5 players who turned down their big extension to take the QO and become a free agent?
    Not sure. David Lee did it a few years ago.

  12. #70
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    2,046
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's a list someone put together, but they missed Lee, so there may be others missing.

    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/p...ng-offers.html

  13. #71
    Raptors Republic Rookie Reboc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    potentially relevant to this thread: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...sota/13863697/

  14. #72
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    They usually get traded before it happens. I remember Ben Gordon threatening to do it
    So no one?

  15. #73
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,763
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Apparently Greg Monroe is doing just that... FWIW

    While the Pistons big man has not pursued an offer sheet from another team, he has pursued sign-and-trade possibilities, and Monroe is “definitely” willing to take the one-year qualifying offer worth $5.3 million from Detroit in order to ensure his unrestricted free agency next summer, a source familiar with Monroe’s thinking told The Detroit News. Detroit News
    Via Hoopshype


    EDIT: But the player usually forces their way out before that becomes an issue. However put me on the list of people who don't care about the speculation. If he's a Durant level talent then every team in the league who think they have a shot will try, and if he leaves Minny via trade then Wiggins doesn't necessarily have a ton of say in where he goes. I think at most we've got a 10% chance to get him in his prime, and a 5% chance if he's a Durant level player.

    Glimmer of hope for those who want it? New CBA. Who knows how player mobility will be affected. Maybe Lebron to Cleveland will be such a big money maker that the NBA institutes a hometown talent clause where every team gets to pick a player from their hometown to rep their city.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Tue Aug 12th, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  16. #74
    Raptors Republic Rookie knowledgep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    That maybe a tad harsh...but he is climbing the ladder with his previous "major" effort at spearheading the pr to get Wince back in uniform here....yechhh.
    Grange is horrible, even more horrible during Raps broadcasts...

  17. #75
    Raptors Republic Rookie knowledgep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    A trade Fields + Hands + Tor 2016 1st for Bennett opens a roster spot and space for Blatche with the remaining MLE.
    I'm glad you are not our GM...

  18. #76
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote knowledgep wrote: View Post
    I'm glad you are not our GM...
    2015 is a weak draft and by all accounts 2016 is worse. We already have another 2016 and it may be at worst equal to ours. Dumping 8M and for a first is reasonable and Bennett is just a bonus.

  19. #77
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    So no one?
    Our boy danh just posted a link with a bunch of examples. I was just to lazy to find it myself. Here it is.

    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/p...ng-offers.html

    And Greg Monroe just did it as well
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  20. #78
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    2015 is a weak draft and by all accounts 2016 is worse. We already have another 2016 and it may be at worst equal to ours. Dumping 8M and for a first is reasonable and Bennett is just a bonus.
    How in the world do you already know abt the 2016 draft class 2 fucking years in advance. HOLY MOLY!

  21. #79
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    How in the world do you already know abt the 2016 draft class 2 fucking years in advance. HOLY MOLY!
    Its because the senior left in 2014 and the 2015 class gets the leftover seniors and a lot of one and dones. The 2016 may be a good draft but it will be a real crap shoot since it will be really young. It may change but the 2015 has a lot of players leaving early.

  22. #80
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Our boy danh just posted a link with a bunch of examples. I was just to lazy to find it myself. Here it is.

    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/p...ng-offers.html

    And Greg Monroe just did it as well
    We were talking about players who turned down a big extension to take their qualifying offer, because that's what Wiggins would likely have to do.
    Ben Gordon is the only one who meets that criteria from this list and now Monroe as well. The point remains - it almost never, ever happens.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •