No announcement yet.

Raptors rumours in the dog days of summer - David West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Indiana and Boston are the two teams in the east that can really shake things up if they decide to make moves. West and Hill are prime candidates from Indy, with Rondo being the real big fish from Boston. 2 teams definitely worth keeping an eye on for rumours.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Considering Masai doesn't leak anything to anybody, any rumour regarding the Raptors during this current era is pure fluff in my opinion. I won't feed into the buzz. :|

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
        Considering Masai doesn't leak anything to anybody, any rumour regarding the Raptors during this current era is pure fluff in my opinion. I won't feed into the buzz. :|
        True, we can never get anything from the front office until it actually happens.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

To the rumour I say bull poop.

To the idea I say bull poop.

The Raptors current theme song is Patience.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
            Also, the Pacers don't leak anything to anybody either, Pacers' trades are always sudden and surprise a lot of people. So yep, it's unlikely that a Raptors-Pacers rumor would have any basis.

As to the trade itself, I wouldn't do it simply because it takes away from the Raptors' cap space next summer.

Comment

The idea is sound, the problem is the timing.

#1 West is too old

#2 Raptors have to give up significant assets which in the days of asset accumulation is a no-no. You're acquiring assets to get more of an impact player than a 33 year old David West.

#3 You are handcuffing the team for the next 2 seasons.

At some point in the next 18 months I see the Raptors making a move for a significant player. However that player is going to be younger than 33 (i.e. 28-30) and will not cost anything from the current core.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

#1 West is too old

#2 Raptors have to give up significant assets which in the days of asset accumulation is a no-no. You're acquiring assets to get more of an impact player than a 33 year old David West.

At some point in the next 18 months I see the Raptors making a move for a significant player. However that player is going to be younger than 33 (i.e. 28-30) and will not cost anything from the current core.
                It's a made up story. The money doesn't even make sense. It's a stupid writer trying to be smart and drive views to his site. I first saw the report on a fantasy sports league site which is just about exactly where it belongs.
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

Pp can't be teadd until dec 15 as well.

Total poop

Comment

Just looking at it as an conceivable idea despite it being a rumour and PP's trade eligibility, I think it would be a good move if it doesn't hurt our cap flexibility. I mean, West is an upgrade to PP, and I never look at a trade for a player as necessarily meaning that player needs to be a permanent fixture going forward. Who cares if he is older? He doesn't need to be here once he starts a significant decline. He would greatly help the team immediately though.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      Just looking at it as an conceivable idea despite it being a rumour and PP's trade eligibility, I think it would be a good move if it doesn't hurt our cap flexibility. I mean, West is an upgrade to PP, and I never look at a trade for a player as necessarily meaning that player needs to be a permanent fixture going forward. Who cares if he is older? He doesn't need to be here once he starts a significant decline. He would greatly help the team immediately though.
                      That is risky.

Look what happened with gasol and boozer when the slide started.

You're talking newer max salaries here.

Also if you're flipping out major pieces each year there goes that sought after chemistry.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        This is how I want people to look at it. Just because it's a crazy rumour that technically doesn't make sense at the moment, doesn't mean it's an inconceivable scenario. Trading for a veteran upgrade somewhere like PF is certainly among the more plausible scenarios moving forward.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                          2Pat will not be better than D-West even in his prime. 2Pat is a decent backup PF kinda like Donyall Marshall for us.
                          D-West is a starter allstar calibre of PF we need, the thing is he's getting older, 35 when the season starts. It will be a gamble for us to acquire him, I say we do this trade

Hayes + Fields + Rights for D.Daniels + 2016 1st round pick (NYK) for D-West + Ian Mahinmi
                          Why gamble?

Comment

#1 West is too old

Is it really though? Might compromise salary flexibility in 2015...but that free agent summer is being way overhyped. And it actually improves flexibility in 2016 compared to 2Pat.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Is it really though? Might compromise salary flexibility in 2015...but that free agent summer is being way overhyped. And it actually improves flexibility in 2016 compared to 2Pat.
                              Problem is, the only way the raptors have any real space to work with in 2016 is if we renounce demar.

If we save for 2015, we can add another piece and then keep the whole gang together with bird rights.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

That is risky.

Look what happened with gasol and boozer when the slide started.

You're talking newer max salaries here.

Also if you're flipping out major pieces each year there goes that sought after chemistry.
                                Yeah, maybe there is some risk to it, but Boozer was over rated to begin with and Gasol, I personally don't think is sliding so much as that he is in a bad situation (rumours about trades every year, Kobe going down etc.). Plus West has that old schoold bruiser type low post game that doesn't rely on athletecism as a crutch.

I like PP, but if think West is a major peice wheras PP is a supporting cast peice.

The salaries are the part I'm not familar with and that I too would be concerned with.

Comment

Working...
                                X