Raptors rumours in the dog days of summer - David West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stooley wrote: View Post
    Problem is, the only way the raptors have any real space to work with in 2016 is if we renounce demar.

If we save for 2015, we can add another piece and then keep the whole gang together with bird rights.
    I don't think we're that constrained. We'll see where the cap number is though. That will be a huge factor. Still, we have few long-term commitments. I realize the cap holds of DeMar, Ross and JV cloud things, but there are still 2 years to see how things play out in terms of figures.

Something to keep in mind...
    -we don't have to only be aiming for a max free agent (KD) in 2016. There are lots of good free agents, many of whom play one of the forward spots (ie our most obvious needs).
    -2015 is a bigger crapshoot than people realize, I think. The top tier or two are all PFs and guards. Top guys (Love and Aldridge) are not really realistic targets for any team, let alone the Raps. Lots of RFAs after them, or guards we don't need. Pretty much just Millsap is the only realistic target.

I would really like for the Raps to thus find a way to clear some cap room for 2016. Might not be able to get enough to offer a max to someone like KD, but might be able to scrape enough space together to make a run at Horford or Batum, or a Ryan Anderson or Gallinari (if they can get their bodies right).

Comment

Ed Davis is an UFA 2016

Comment

FA's in 2015/16 are going to be chased by a whole bunch of teams with cap space. GM's have finally wised up to good cap management, and the cap will be rising fast. There will be at least as many teams getting skunked as those that actually land a significant FA piece.

mcHappy's asset accumulation is going to be key, because having promising players on reasonable contracts will open the door to trades, which I think are going to be a more "controllable" way to acquire players than by being one of 5 or 6 teams chasing a particular FA. You still aim for both, but FA signings are starting to feel like they've got the same kind of "it's a gamble" component as angling for a certain lottery pick in the draft. The flipping Lakers just had a bunch of cap space and their highest profile acquisitions this summer were Jeremy Lin and Carlos Boozer...
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Is it really though? Might compromise salary flexibility in 2015...but that free agent summer is being way overhyped. And it actually improves flexibility in 2016 compared to 2Pat.
          I want them to go after Millsap this summer. I want them to at least look into it and make a fair offer. I don't think anyone considerably better is going to sign anyway, 2015 or 2016. Both free agencies are probably overrated when it comes to realistic targets.

If the Raptors needed a point guard or a center, both summers would look much deeper with a lot of good realistic targets.

Anyway, I don't think that trading for West would be some tragedy. It would be a reasonable win-now move. Add a more skilled overall player, a much tougher player, a vocal veteran leader with playoff experience.

If Millsap wants to sign, the Raptors should still have about 10 mil in cap space next summer, and while that's probably a bit short for Millsap, it shouldn't be too hard to clear a little extra. Then roll into 2015-16 season with a Millsap, Jonas, West rotation, that would be one of maybe four five best big men rotations in the league.

I could get behind this move.

From a longer term perspective, yes, Patterson is probably a better choice a few years from now, and a few years from now is probably when the Raptors peak as a team. So it makes sense to keep a good young-ish guy who will peak at the right time.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            I want them to go after Millsap this summer. I want them to at least look into it and make a fair offer. I don't think anyone considerably better is going to sign anyway, 2015 or 2016. Both free agencies are probably overrated when it comes to realistic targets.
            I want them to keep Kyle Lowry as the oldest starter. Every starter we trade for or bring in via free agency should be younger than Kyle. We want the starters to grow together, and last and contend together over the next 5+ years. Bringing in someone older than Kyle means someone we only get a couple of years out of ... and our team isn't quite at the level of 'one good player for 2 years before he gets old makes us a champion' (unless it's a KD/Lebron). That was Colangelo's weakness.

A couple of good veterans can play bench roles if and as needed. And we should be targeting younger players for our star core ... and waiting for those players to come along before pulling the trigger (or developing team ball a la Spurs ourselves).

Comment

The fact that 2Pat can't be traded until Christmas makes me think this rumour has been constructed in a writer's head somewhere.

But if we're talking completely hypothetical, I could easily be talked into a David West for 2Pat + salary filler type deal if West opens up the season providing a similar level of production to what we've seen from him the last few years. I wouldn't be willing to throw in a first round pick but otherwise I think it'd be a good deal.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                ...there goes that sought after chemistry.
                Key piece of the equation.

Comment

I just can't get behind this type of move... West is too old and we're not that close to championship contention. I think it would be foolish to trade a young improving stretch PF for a guy that was an all-star 5 years ago...a guy whose likely on his decline. Smells too much like Collangelo. Like McHappy said.....bull poop. lol

Comment

I just don't see the wisdom in going after expensive vets just yet. Give this 2 to 3 more years, see what DeRozan, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV evolve into and then look for the 10 million dollar vet to put us over the top
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I just can't fathom a reason to accelerate the process and give up ANY assets currently
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                        I just can't fathom a reason to accelerate the process and give up ANY assets currently
                        Exactly.

West isn't putting the Raptors over the top.

Comment

If the question is "are we better we David West"...I don't know that the answer is yes.

I don't really think he fits here.

Comment

Nothing but some bloggers imagination, and fine with that, as I am sure MU is.

Comment

from what ive read he is an improvement in scoring at the power forward position... but with lowry and derozan as our main options and val and ross supposed to be improving and getting more touchs ... do we really need another offense option? ... we need more glue guys like 2pat in my humble opinions

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                                from what ive read he is an improvement in scoring at the power forward position... but with lowry and derozan as our main options and val and ross supposed to be improving and getting more touchs ... do we really need another offense option? ... we need more glue guys like 2pat in my humble opinions
                                From what you've read? West has been in the league forever and in the east for many years, should have more eye tests to go on that what you can read online.

West's biggest strength is our biggest weakness; low post scoring. For the last few years, the biggest thing missing from our offence was a guy we could throw the ball on the block and let him go to work. JV isn't there yet but will hopefully get there soon.

Having a post scorer who commands the attention of the Defence will open up the court for Lowry and Demar (and Ross for that matter). Cutting lanes, open threes, back door cuts; these are all easier to find when the D is worrying about a guy scoring on the block.

Defences struggle to contain a good passer from the post as most defenders spend their entire basketball lives worrying about stopping ball penetration from the perimeter, that many players are simply less aware and proficient when the ball moves from the post area. Makes guys like the Gasol brothers so valuable to an offence.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X