No announcement yet.

When did you become a Raptors Junkie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I have been a long time bb follower the team I most followed was the (horrors) Knicks...I lived in NY for a few years. Became a Raptors fan when team came into being but when blogs and boards came into vogue I got the "real" bug of discussing the team with like minded followers (my friends not really into the game). RR, I must say put me into the category where I need to watch myself about getting overly fan-a-tic about the issues or even the games!!

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Grew up waiting for the Sunday "Wide World of Sport" basketball specials in the sixties that featured Celtics, Lakers and New York (typically) usually after December, which pretty much meant I had to become a Celtics (Bill Russell) fan.

When it was announced that there was going to be a BBall team in TO, I was all in. Used to listen to the Fan 590 broadcasts, cause the games weren't always on TV.
      Pretty sure it was still CJCL The Fan 1430 back then, maybe even CFRB 1010 for a while :P

I've been a fan through thick and thin since before this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lH3vhlZb2lE
      Last edited by Mack North; Tue Aug 12, 2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Pretty much since their inception. I'm 28, and although I probably wasn't watching much basketball until about 13 or 14 I was certainly well aware of the Raptors and generally considered them my team when I was that young. Before the Raps I liked the Orlando Magic with Shaq and Penny. I had a small sized Orlando Magic basketball that never left my side.

Junkie status happened later in life probably during highschool. I had full access to Raptors games on tv at this point and it was the VC era ( I graduated in 04). During and since this period I've watched about 80% of Raptors games and will choose a Raptors game over societies other more popular events if given a viewing dilemma (ex: World Junior Hockey, NHL, NFL etc. etc.). Big sports fan in general and I cheer for all Toronto teams, except for Arsenal and if I had to choose one to watch for the rest of my life it would be hands down the Raptors. Like others I have paid my dues during hard years and have remained loyal to the team to an almost sickening degree.

Comment

3 years ago when I just started to watch basketball
          Nevermind what haters say,
          ignore them ’til they fade away. - T.I

Comment

1995,before that I was Detroit Piston fan. I hate the Lakers and Knicks.
            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

4 reasons: moving to Ontario, Mo-Pete, the Raptor, and don't laugh, f******* lazy-ass Bargs was also a big factor. It took me a few years to realize how deluded I was to think that Bargs will be one of the best 4s of all time.

Comment

Watching AI and VC battle it out back in 2001 made me a huge fan of the the Raptors, and basketball in general.

I stopped watching the Raptors after VC left, I can't remember why. I still followed the team but I became more of a player-fan rather than a team-fan. I would watch games with my favourite players but I never cared who ended up winning.

In 2011, I started following the Raptors again, and watching Demar's growth over time has really been the biggest factor for me. I can recall the game vs the Nets in London that went into 3OT. When DD tied the game in the closing seconds of 2OT, I became a Raptors fan again.

It felt so good last season to actually cheer for a team that was winning, and who's players were so committed to each other and to Toronto. I am already pumped for next season!
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

My addictions

I became a raptors junkie soon after my birth (96) with my father and older brother being die hards since the inception a year earlier. My earlier memories were of vince and tmac to just vince and mopete. the addiction has grown to take over my life i cant sleep when the offseason rolls around i would turn off the NBA every year in April knowin my raps werent in the playoffs.. I grew up with kids making fun of my team resulting in various suspensions and fights at school BUT now im like nigga we made it but its not done yet JV will lead the raptors to Championship and i also cried downtown after Game 7 and went on a hunt for anyone wearin a brooklyn tshirt or jersey this lead to my arrest i tried to plead insanity due to Raptors Fever it was blown off by the police ill probably die of heart attack when they win the finals but untill that day I will remain Raptors till death due us apart

Comment

When I was a young girl I used to watch basketball with my older brothers and I remember watching the VC slam dunk competition and I also remember when he scored 51 points when I was 10. So I guess I was a junkie since I was young, but because I'm a girl I never got taken seriously having basketball conversations with people which is why I joined this site.

Comment

I can vividly remember watching YTV as a child when they had the promotion to name the new Toronto NBA team. I still have a Damon Stoudamire jersey from their very first season, although it's about 4 sizes too small now. My fandom has continued to grow since then.

Comment

By the way I still have the 2000 Slam Dunk Competition on VHS (taped the broadcast) if anyone wants to borrow it. My Vince Carter jersey, however, hasn't left the closet in 10 years. I'm not ready.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Summer of 95, I was 8 years old and super into dinosaurs.

On one of our family trips to Wisconsin Dells we checked out this hat store and I saw there was this purple hat with a Raptor on it, my dad told me about this strange land of Toronto and how they were getting a basketball team, I thought this was the greatest shit ever, my dad bought me the hat and thus the Chicago Raptor fan came to be and I have loved and followed them ever since.

Comment

Kongkerr wrote: View Post
                            I became a raptors junkie soon after my birth (96) with my father and older brother being die hards since the inception a year earlier. My earlier memories were of vince and tmac to just vince and mopete. the addiction has grown to take over my life i cant sleep when the offseason rolls around i would turn off the NBA every year in April knowin my raps werent in the playoffs.. I grew up with kids making fun of my team resulting in various suspensions and fights at school BUT now im like nigga we made it but its not done yet JV will lead the raptors to Championship and i also cried downtown after Game 7 and went on a hunt for anyone wearin a brooklyn tshirt or jersey this lead to my arrest i tried to plead insanity due to Raptors Fever it was blown off by the police ill probably die of heart attack when they win the finals but untill that day I will remain Raptors till death due us apart
                            Jesus are you serious? XD thats hilarious
                            Brazilian Kevin Durant

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ptors_2014.jpg
                            http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...rst-Pick-1.gif

Twitter: rmuns12

Comment

since the day Isiah ripped through the banner

Comment

I'm a Year 1 Diehard. My buddies Dad was some big shot CEO and he had season seats; took us to a few games that first season. Hooked ever since. I have vivid memories of driving back from the game and seeing a HUGE Mighty Mouse Billboard. Like building Size. I don't even think any of the Glory Days Jays had that. So Might Mouse was definitely my first BBall idol (Then I learned about MJ). The rest, as they say, is History.

Comment

Working...
                                X