Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jason Goff. "Raptors will take a step back". Aug 12,2014

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jason Goff. "Raptors will take a step back". Aug 12,2014

It is hard to be objective when you are the fan of a team. That said I really think we can be better than last year losing John Salmons and adding James Johnson. I wish more posters here would call up Jason on Sirius xm radio NBA 12-3 and give it to him. 18556225867 1855NBAJUMP. Jason believes a lot of our guys had "career years " last year. I don't know what will happen next year but I would be shocked if we were lower than a 6th seed.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who Jason Goff is but I can see from your headline that he's an idiot.

I'm glad the Raps aren't getting recognized south of the border. It'll help motivate these guys.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    It is hard to be objective when you are the fan of a team. That said I really think we can be better than last year losing John Salmons and adding James Johnson. I wish more posters here would call up Jason on Sirius xm radio NBA 12-3 and give it to him. 18556225867 1855NBAJUMP. Jason believes a lot of our guys had "career years " last year. I don't know what will happen next year but I would be shocked if we were lower than a 6th seed.
    well in many ways i would have to agree. vasquez, patterson, lowry, DD all basically had career years. theres absolutely NO sign of this being a consistent thing yet until it actually happens. for ex. i don't see vasquez or ppat shooting the 3 as well as they did last year.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt in my mind that the Raps will take a step forward.

I BELIEVE IN MASAI!!!!

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The "career year" argument is kind of dumb to make against the Raps.

Of those guys, they are all either young and still potentially improving (DeMar and Pat), or in their prime (GV and Lowry) where no significant decline should be expected.

On top of that, Jonas, Ross and Lou Williams are all fairly safe bets to play better than they did last year. And JJ is a wildcard, because his impact isn't obvious statistically, but he could have a career year as a role player that makes a fairly big impact for the Raps...of course assuming his head's screwed on right.

I don't see any reason to expect a major decline from the "career" performers last year, and definitely see it as very unlikely that any possible decline from them would outweigh the improvement from the guys who are still getting better.

6. Like Frynoodle, chico liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie gametime's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas and Ross will be even better this year. They received all that experience for a reason; to grow. That preparation will be a blessing this year and specifically in 2016. Raps will be strong.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this Jason Goff's middle name might be "Fuh"? If not, then that's what he can go do.

9. Like S.R. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    The "career year" argument is kind of dumb to make against the Raps.

Of those guys, they are all either young and still potentially improving (DeMar and Pat), or in their prime (GV and Lowry) where no significant decline should be expected.

On top of that, Jonas, Ross and Lou Williams are all fairly safe bets to play better than they did last year. And JJ is a wildcard, because his impact isn't obvious statistically, but he could have a career year as a role player that makes a fairly big impact for the Raps...of course assuming his head's screwed on right.

I don't see any reason to expect a major decline from the "career" performers last year, and definitely see it as very unlikely that any possible decline from them would outweigh the improvement from the guys who are still getting better.
    Good post. I am in the same camp as your thinking.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

While I guess it is valid to recognize that yes, a few of our main guys played some of the best ball they ever will last year, its also important to recognize two guys who haven't yet: Jonas and Terrence, two guys primed to take big steps forward.

Also, it should definitely be mentioned that the biggest knock on our team last year was a lack of experience (think of Demar in game one), which, while most of our players are far from seasoned veterans, will definitely not be as big an issue.

Though, you never know. Even still, if we find ourselves with 45 wins fighting for the sixth or seventh seed, not totally meeting expectations, the NBA is still a league where when you peak is as important as how great your potential is. I think it would be hard to argue that this team, after another year of meshing and development, couldn't give any Eastern team trouble in the playoffs.

Can't wait for the season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    well in many ways i would have to agree. vasquez, patterson, lowry, DD all basically had career years. theres absolutely NO sign of this being a consistent thing yet until it actually happens. for ex. i don't see vasquez or ppat shooting the 3 as well as they did last year.
    For DD and lowry I can see where your coming from, they both had career years but DD can still get better. Lowry is what he is really but since he doesn't use his athleticism to be what he is, how can he really regress. I can only see him get smarter and that's actually a good thing. He is one of the point guards who get better with age. The only way he could really regress from his 'career year' is if he got injured or something

For gv. I don't see the career year thing at all. Gvs career year was when he was in NO and averaged 13 & 9. Last year was kinda a step back for him, he came off ankle surgery and was decent the first half of the season but only got back to form near the end. I expect to see that gv back next year, not the sac town version. Remember when he couldn't score to save his life midway through last year, that can not be considered a career year for anyone.

And Batman is still young so he should continue where he left off. Maybe a slight dip in three point shooting but that's about it.
    Last edited by Yabadabayolo; Tue Aug 12th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

i could see it

he's not completely wrong about the career year thing. didn't read the article or whatever but i'm guessing he figures everyone doesn't step it up again like they did last year. it's not out of the realm of possibility. especially specific, important players. now that lowry's paid does he play balls out? does DD play at an all star level again? we'll see. what about injuries? raps were insanely lucky last year with injuries. a guy like Lowry, DD or JV missing significant time would be a huge blow.

on paper we're better, but paper can't tell you about injuries or effort.
    @jerboat

14. Like Mediumcore liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they won't win 47,48 games, but I do c them winning at least 45 games. This team still needs that pf veteran..ie David West and back up Center,then u can say their close 2 being a contender,as of right now,No...
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Week long road trips? Definitely gonna take a step back

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    For DD and lowry I can see where your coming from, they both had career years but DD can still get better. Lowry is what he is really but since he doesn't use his athleticism to be what he is, how can he really regress. I can only see him get smarter and that's actually a good thing. He is one of the point guards who get better with age. The only way he could really regress from his 'career year' is if he got injured or something

For gv. I don't see the career year thing at all. Gvs career year was when he was in NO and averaged 13 & 9. Last year was kinda a step back for him, he came off ankle surgery and was decent the first half of the season but only got back to form near the end. I expect to see that gv back next year, not the sac town version. Remember when he couldn't score to save his life midway through last year, that can not be considered a career year for anyone.

And Batman is still young so he should continue where he left off. Maybe a slight dip in three point shooting but that's about it.
    you're looking at GV's year where he played 34 minutes a game in NO. of course 'per game' stats are gonna look inflated. per 36 here in toronto he was averaging nearly 16 & 6.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Miami playing Cleveland Christmas day,lol..
    Hopefully rap's have decent schedule at the start and easy on the back end,it helps
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar has had a career year every single year ... coming back better with new tools, and this year it's handle.

All Lowry needs to do is play how he did after the Gay trade. Expecting anything but near last year's performance is off, but expecting him to now drop off after getting paid doesn't seem right.

Jonas and Ross - hard to see them not improving significantly from start of last year ... that's not being a homer ... young players who work hard and have skills, they improve!
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

The career years is a valid point.

However Raps have two starters who were 2nd year last season. You don't think they continue to improve?

I think it is a wash and raps are just as good as last year to slightly better.

I'm going with 51/52 wins.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

21. Like Joey, DanH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post

No different than lakers/clippers with Grammys (or some other award show, not sure)
    Bulls with circus
    Spurs with rodeo

There are a few teams each year who have extended road trip due to venue being unavailable for another annual event.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the career year thing at all. I leave that analysis to three situations:

1. The Mike James Career Year. A borderline talent is given the green light on a crappy team and ends up with great personal stats in write-off year.
    2. The Nash Effect. A player ends up with inflated stats because of a perfect fit with either a superstar teammate or in a perfectly suited system. Said player isn't well rounded enough or talented enough to repeat this type of performance in a different environment.
    3. The Contract Year. 'Nuff said.

The Raps, as mentioned above, who had "career years" had them because they're young guys who are still developing and growing into their roles. This was Lowry's first year with this level of leadership and responsibility, and he stepped up. Ditto for DeRozan. GV has shown he's talented enough to be a borderline starter - he's more than capable of handling back-up duties.

My only concerns moving forward are Amir's health and Lowry's weight. Lowry's clearly a guy who will put on weight very easily, but he's also hyper-competitive. I expect him to do what he needs to do to continue performing at last year's level. Amir's minutes should be managed carefully so he's 100% for the playoffs.

Even if you predict 50 wins, that's already a step back from their post-Gay-trade winning percentage. A team that went 17-5 (or whatever) against the Western Conference is no joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    I don't like the career year thing at all. I leave that analysis to three situations:

1. The Mike James Career Year. A borderline talent is given the green light on a crappy team and ends up with great personal stats in write-off year.
    2. The Nash Effect. A player ends up with inflated stats because of a perfect fit with either a superstar teammate or in a perfectly suited system. Said player isn't well rounded enough or talented enough to repeat this type of performance in a different environment.
    3. The Contract Year. 'Nuff said.

The Raps, as mentioned above, who had "career years" had them because they're young guys who are still developing and growing into their roles. This was Lowry's first year with this level of leadership and responsibility, and he stepped up. Ditto for DeRozan. GV has shown he's talented enough to be a borderline starter - he's more than capable of handling back-up duties.

My only concerns moving forward are Amir's health and Lowry's weight. Lowry's clearly a guy who will put on weight very easily, but he's also hyper-competitive. I expect him to do what he needs to do to continue performing at last year's level. Amir's minutes should be managed carefully so he's 100% for the playoffs.

Even if you predict 50 wins, that's already a step back from their post-Gay-trade winning percentage. A team that went 17-5 (or whatever) against the Western Conference is no joke.
    To that point, though, Lowry, Patterson and GV, three guys who had big years, were all in contract years. So that logic certainly applies.

Personally I'm still seeing 50+ wins from this group though. Would actually be a step back from their post-Gay team (looking at the schedule pre-Gay I pegged the post-Gay team at 11-7 in that stretch, meaning 53 wins on the year). And I think Jonas is going to be great this year, and between him and adding bench depth (no more Salmons), the effects of Lowry et al coming down off their career years a bit should be balanced out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information