Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jason Goff. "Raptors will take a step back". Aug 12,2014

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    While I guess it is valid to recognize that yes, a few of our main guys played some of the best ball they ever will last year, its also important to recognize two guys who haven't yet: Jonas and Terrence, two guys primed to take big steps forward.

Also, it should definitely be mentioned that the biggest knock on our team last year was a lack of experience (think of Demar in game one), which, while most of our players are far from seasoned veterans, will definitely not be as big an issue.

Though, you never know. Even still, if we find ourselves with 45 wins fighting for the sixth or seventh seed, not totally meeting expectations, the NBA is still a league where when you peak is as important as how great your potential is. I think it would be hard to argue that this team, after another year of meshing and development, couldn't give any Eastern team trouble in the playoffs.

Can't wait for the season.
    Seeding and match ups will be critical.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i could see it

he's not completely wrong about the career year thing. didn't read the article or whatever but i'm guessing he figures everyone doesn't step it up again like they did last year. it's not out of the realm of possibility. especially specific, important players. now that lowry's paid does he play balls out? does DD play at an all star level again? we'll see. what about injuries? raps were insanely lucky last year with injuries. a guy like Lowry, DD or JV missing significant time would be a huge blow.

on paper we're better, but paper can't tell you about injuries or effort.
    That's a good point about injuries last season. The Raptors were really lucky not to lose any of the core guys for long periods, especially with the way Lowry plays. Smart on Masaii's part to make the roster deeper going into this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    That's a good point about injuries last season. The Raptors were really lucky not to lose any of the core guys for long periods, especially with the way Lowry plays. Smart on Masaii's part to make the roster deeper going into this season.
    Just noticed a Pelicans fan tweet that their top 6 lost 200 games to injury last season. Between Lowry, DeRozan, Amir, JV, Ross, Gay, Vasquez, and Patterson last year, the Raps only lost 28 games to injury, and 14 of those belonged to PatPat. Crazy!

Still, the 0.66 winning percentage post-Gay would project to 54 wins over a full season. In a sense even maintaining 48 wins would be a step back.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Just noticed a Pelicans fan tweet that their top 6 lost 200 games to injury last season. Between Lowry, DeRozan, Amir, JV, Ross, Gay, Vasquez, and Patterson last year, the Raps only lost 28 games to injury, and 14 of those belonged to PatPat. Crazy!

Still, the 0.66 winning percentage post-Gay would project to 54 wins over a full season. In a sense even maintaining 48 wins would be a step back.
    Can't predict injuries though. It's pretty much impossible to predict their effect because it's impossible to predict which teams will have it better than others.

For the Raps, or really any team, the thing to avoid is a major injury. Then you just hope depth is good enough to deal with any other minor injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

my gut says we are fine. 50 wins 3rd seed 2nd round playoff exit
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

6. Like S.R. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Can't predict injuries though.
    I bet you a million dollars and a half hearted BJ that Amir rolls his ankle

I accept your apology for questioning my prognosticating
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post

Ah but will he miss games from it?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure Amir wakes up every morning, puts his feet on the floor, and rolls both ankles before standing up.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post

Yeah, I'd be curious to know what this Geoff guy meant by step back. Was he referring to win totals or did he mean out of the playoffs. Wins and losses aside, due to the East evening out, I would think for a team that was bounced in the first round, a step back means not making the playoffs at all.

Raptors Republic Rookie gametime's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If he keeps wearing those jordan's, you're gonna be buying a lot of lipbalm... *sighs, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Week long road trips? Definitely gonna take a step back
    Just means we get alot of our road games out of the way in one trip. Longer home stands as well I guess?
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Just means we get alot of our road games out of the way in one trip. Longer home stands as well I guess?
    not sure if thats actually better though. then again we did play better on the road last year for a good chunk of the season than we did at home.

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I number of things broke well for us last year — guys had career seasons, and we suffered no serious injuries, particularly to Lowry and DeRozan — which is pretty damn lucky, considering how much contact they absorb.

On the other hand, we lost ground during the first third of the season, before the Rudy Gay trade.

To me, it's a wash. I expect their record to be pretty much the same. The team will play better as a motivated unit but we'll have our slumps, lose a guy here and there for a few weeks.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the guys are hungry, I don't see either Lowry or Derozan, who had career years, taking their respective feet off the pedal.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I think the guys are hungry, I don't see either Lowry or Derozan, who had career years, taking their respective feet off the pedal.
    Especially considering both are playing for another contract.

Especially Lowry. He said he got what he wanted with the 4th year player option. If he goes back to old ways everything Masai told him last summer will no longer be whispered it will be fact.

So what some might say, sure he is getting $36 or $48M. True but you know what is better than $36-48m? Another $36-48m.....or more.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Especially considering both are playing for another contract.

Especially Lowry. He said he got what he wanted with the 4th year player option. If he goes back to old ways everything Masai told him last summer will no longer be whispered it will be fact.

So what some might say, sure he is getting $36 or $48M. True but you know what is better than $36-48m? Another $36-48m.....or more.
    Not to mention, if you take Lowry at his word, he cares about having a team to call his own, to be the leader of. If he doesn't show up to lead like he did last year KLOW be out da dOe b4 ya kno.

Masai has no trouble singing big money contracts and flipping them in the first year (see nene)

Raptors Republic Starter godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

every team is going to make adjustments. between seasons. between games. between quarters. it's important that the front office has achievable goals for sustainable, long-term sucess. i don't mind a step back, so long as it means 3 steps forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information