Exclusive D-League Affiliate Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter N wrote: View Post
    Maybe the plan is to make Raptors the team for Northern NY, the way the Bills are the team for Southern Ontario.
    I'm sure there are a lot of Knicks fans to contend with. Bills is a bit different because Buffalo, as a city, is struggling and can't compare to New York. Anyone know how far Rochester is from the Knicks new D league team?
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Bills is a bit different because Buffalo, as a city, is struggling and can't compare to New York.
      What does that mean?

Comment

What does that mean?
        Buffalo can barely support an NFL team on its own. New York and it's multiple sports teams have no such shortage. So a fan traveling to Buffalo will have no problem getting tickets and what-not. Travelling closer to New York means that those opportunities are likely dwindling. Unless of course the local fan base is more loyal to the Knicks than the Razors (or whatever the Rochester team is called); in which case there might not be strong local fan support anymore except those travelling - which would make one question the location entirely.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I still don't get your point, Southern Ontario people are fans of the Bills because we're close in proximity. Same reason why the Sabres have a huge following in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Rochester is closer to us in Canada than to NYC. Also from my experience people from Western NY (Buffalo and surrounding areas) hate all professional teams based out of NYC.

Our AAA ball team is there for a reason. I think MLSE is trying to parlay all that stuff into getting that region to be Raptors fans and the D-League team could only help.

Comment

But you need a local fan base, not just the tourists from Ontario. Big difference between tourists taking on the Bills in a struggling market vs taking on a minor league team in a basketball market that is likely mostly Knicks fans.

Comment

But you need a local fan base, not just the tourists from Ontario. Big difference between tourists taking on the Bills in a struggling market vs taking on a minor league team in a basketball market that is likely mostly Knicks fans.
              I think we're on slightly different tracks here.

I don't think MLSE wants this D-League team to make money (hell I don't think the NBA even wants D-League teams to make money), but they want the team to get exposure in Western NY and through that exposure increase Raptors fans in that region.

Sure not a lot of people go to these games but some do, and even more will when a rookie on the Raptors or a vet coming back from injury plays a game or two. So not only do the Raptors get a D-League team less than an hour flight away that allows them to coach up their young guys but they even get the added benefit of a few thousand more fans, and some extra gear sold and a bit more exposure.

Comment

The local fan base will be Rochester fans cheering for a Rochester team. It will have very little to do with any major league affiliate. Their PBL team has been successful, so they just might have an actual fan base for a minor league basketball team.

Comment

I don't think MLSE wants this D-League team to make money (hell I don't think the NBA even wants D-League teams to make money), but they want the team to get exposure in Western NY and through that exposure increase Raptors fans in that region.

Sure not a lot of people go to these games but some do, and even more will when a rookie on the Raptors or a vet coming back from injury plays a game or two. So not only do the Raptors get a D-League team less than an hour flight away that allows them to coach up their young guys but they even get the added benefit of a few thousand more fans, and some extra gear sold and a bit more exposure.
                  Ok. I thought you were saying something that it appears you weren't.

Back to the actual topic though, while the Raps don't expect to make any money from a D league team, you have to admit that the profitability of an overseas team is enticing.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    The local fan base will be Rochester fans cheering for a Rochester team. It will have very little to do with any major league affiliate. Their PBL team has been successful, so they just might have an actual fan base for a minor league basketball team.
                    True. Halifax has a PBL team (or did, they change leagues every few years) and the main basketball fan base still has NBA at the top of the pecking order, with the local club falling somewhere between college and local club for support. Rochester New York to me, seems most likely Knicks fans with some Celtic fans next (depends on who was good at each demographic age). It would be weird for some fans to suddenly have their local team affiliated with a division rival.

Also, changing from PBL to D-league will impact the fan base. The team will likely be less successful (W-L) and that will lose some fans but the team will be a higher quality and that should draw some fans.

Comment

Thing is, most likely these were basketball fans before there was a local team. So a NBA affiliation for the fans is most likely New York. That's going to work against the Raps for some fans.

Comment

Ah, now I get where you were going. Interesting. You're right that Rochester is close enough to expand the Raptors fan base through our affiliate being there. Good point. Same may also apply to Montreal (if D-League can handle passports/borders).

Comment

True. Halifax has a PBL team (or did, they change leagues every few years) and the main basketball fan base still has NBA at the top of the pecking order, with the local club falling somewhere between college and local club for support. Rochester New York to me, seems most likely Knicks fans with some Celtic fans next (depends on who was good at each demographic age). It would be weird for some fans to suddenly have their local team affiliated with a division rival.

Also, changing from PBL to D-league will impact the fan base. The team will likely be less successful (W-L) and that will lose some fans but the team will be a higher quality and that should draw some fans.
                          I don't know. It's closer to Toronto. There might be a large chunk of Knicks fans, but there's probably a fairly large amount of people who feel no real affiliation (who cheer for whatever random teams they like), and some who probably even hate NYC teams. Could be lots of people who would gladly cheer for a NY division rival. If a D-League affiliate would help grow a fanbase of some kind in that area, there's nothing wrong with that. Couldn't hurt.

I also don't think there'd be any other major fanbase like the chunk there probably is devoted to the Knicks. Not sure why people would follow the Celtics. If it's because of success then it probably isn't significantly more than teams like Chicago, Detroit, maybe even Cleveland since LeBron came into the league. People there are probably not more likely to identify with Boston culturally than they are with rust belt teams.

Comment

I don't know. It's closer to Toronto. There might be a large chunk of Knicks fans, but there's probably a fairly large amount of people who feel no real affiliation (who cheer for whatever random teams they like), and some who probably even hate NYC teams. Could be lots of people who would gladly cheer for a NY division rival. If a D-League affiliate would help grow a fanbase of some kind in that area, there's nothing wrong with that. Couldn't hurt.

I also don't think there'd be any other major fanbase like the chunk there probably is devoted to the Knicks. Not sure why people would follow the Celtics. If it's because of success then it probably isn't significantly more than teams like Chicago, Detroit, maybe even Cleveland since LeBron came into the league. People there are probably not more likely to identify with Boston culturally than they are with rust belt teams.
                            For Celtic fans I was thinking of people that got into basketball in the 80's (Larry Bird) or the recent success (Pierce-Garnett-Allen) who were looking for a winner who is reasonably close. But the Bulls are a good example for the 90's.

I think there would have to have been enough basketball support in Rochester for the team to even exist. They had to like someone and unless it is a HS-college sports town, Knicks is the fit. I would feel weird if the Knicks put a D league team in my town. Going to the games would be like sleeping with the enemy.

Comment

Maybe the plan is to make Raptors the team for Northern NY, the way the Bills are the team for Southern Ontario.
                              Tim L and Masai have said repeatedly that the goal is to make the Raptor's Canada's Team. That's why I think it has to be somewhere close to the border and also close to Toronto. Niagara Falls fits the bill.

edit: Just found this. Buffalo could work...

Buffalo Warriors Owner Determined to Bring NBA D-League Team to Buffalo
                              http://southbuffalo.wgrz.com/news/sp...e-team-buffalo
                              Last edited by golden; Thu Aug 14, 2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

For Celtic fans I was thinking of people that got into basketball in the 80's (Larry Bird) or the recent success (Pierce-Garnett-Allen) who were looking for a winner who is reasonably close. But the Bulls are a good example for the 90's.

I think there would have to have been enough basketball support in Rochester for the team to even exist. They had to like someone and unless it is a HS-college sports town, Knicks is the fit. I would feel weird if the Knicks put a D league team in my town. Going to the games would be like sleeping with the enemy.
                                I don't think it's fair to assume NBA fans in Rochester would be Knicks fans. Sports fan, or really just people in general in Western NY don't strongly identify with NYC.

This random article with the Map of NBA fans suggests its' at least not a given. I mean it's not necessarily reliable, but still, in most areas it looks more or less like what you'd expect for team popularity. In the Rochester area, and much of Western NY in general, the Knicks fail to really dominate, and on this map they don't come in first really anywhere. Usually it's the Lakers (the most popular team outside their own area), Heat and Celtics. And no team has a significant edge, suggesting that support could be generally well spread out.
                                ->Contrast this to Eastern Upstate NY, where support is how you'd expect it. Generally favoring Knicks the closer you get NYC, and favoring Boston the more North and along the Eastern border you get.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ball.html?_r=0
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Aug 14, 2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X