No announcement yet.

Exclusive D-League Affiliate Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We could have a D-League team in Afghanistan for all I care. As long as we can send Bruno, Bebe and Daniels somewhere where they'll get consistent minutes and have direct guidance from coaches hired by us with specific instructions from Casey and Masai I'm good.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      We could have a D-League team in Afghanistan for all I care. As long as we can send Bruno, Bebe and Daniels somewhere where they'll get consistent minutes and have direct guidance from coaches hired by us with specific instructions from Casey and Masai I'm good.
      I'd like my prospects to develop AND stay alive, thank you very much
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I'd like my prospects to develop AND stay alive, thank you very much
        Just send Rodman with them, he's untouchable anywhere

Comment

More reasons for the raps to have own dleague team tonight?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ra-To-D-League

Comment

Dan, why so? Habs have their affiliate team in Canada, why not the Raps?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
              Dan, why so? Habs have their affiliate team in Canada, why not the Raps?
              Minor league hockey is a behemoth compared to the D-League, in terms of structure, close ties with the majors, and frankly in terms of the financial health of the league. Plus most of the money in hockey comes from Canada, so much so that the cap rises and falls with the strength of the loonie. Completely incomparable scenarios.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Minor league hockey is a behemoth compared to the D-League, in terms of structure, close ties with the majors, and frankly in terms of the financial health of the league. Plus most of the money in hockey comes from Canada, so much so that the cap rises and falls with the strength of the loonie. Completely incomparable scenarios.
                Never mind the immigration and tax issues for the majority guys earning around $30k, if that.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations!

Comment

Posted this in the game thread, but thought it deserved a more detailed look. After watching Clint Capela last night, it becomes obvious that the Raptors need their own D-League affiliate and possibly better player development coaching. Since the NBA and the players (in their infinite wisdom and greed) decided that the D-League is the only place allowed for NBA players under contract to get 5-on-5 playing experience outside the NBA itself.

The Rockets are doing a great job developing young players, and turning them into rotation players or tradeable assets.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/hou....html?mode=jqm

Jack Sikma helping Rockets rookie Capela with Vipers

HIDALGO — The Houston Rockets’ pet project this season has been the development of 2014 first-round draft pick Clint Capela, a 6-foot-10, 245-pound center.

The Rockets have kept a close eye on Capela as he has spent much of this season with the Vipers in the NBA D-League. They’ve gone as far as to have the Switzerland product work exclusively with Jack Sikma, a 14-year NBA veteran (1977-1991) and seven-time NBA All-Star who spent the last 11 years as an NBA assistant coach.

Sikma, 59, was looking toward this season as a sabbatical after Rick Adelman, whose staff Sikma was on in Minnesota since 2011, left the Timberwolves after the 2013-14 campaign. But in visiting training camps in October, Sikma was approached by Rockets Executive VP of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas about joining Houston as an independent consultant and college scout.

The key connection is I played and coached bigs in the league for a long time and they felt I could be an asset down here on an ongoing basis for Clint,” said Sikma, a 6-foot-11 center who was an NBA champion with the 1979 Seattle SuperSonics and is awaiting his opportunity to return to an NBA bench.

Since then, Sikma, who coached four seasons under Adelman with the Rockets from 2007-2011, has worked 7-8 days each of the last three months visiting the Valley to work with Capela, helping establish a plan for the 20-year-old.

That plan started with making sure Capela’s court time consisted of quality minutes — being “engaged in the play,” as Sikma called it — as he recovered from a preseason groin injury. That has come to fruition, as Capela’s restriction on minutes has grown from 15 in November to 30 this month.

“With Clint, and everyone agrees and this is coming from up top, it’s just really important for him to play 5-on-5 at some level where it’s competitive,” Sikma said. “He missed a lot of time with injury and he’s not real experienced to begin with.”

Capela has emerged from bit player to averaging 15 points, nine rebounds and three blocks in 21.9 minutes in 23 games.

“Last year, I was in France and working with someone like Jack was like a dream,” Capela said. “Now that I’m with him, I’m just trying to learn as much as I can. I’m feeling better and better.”

Sikma points to a game-winning play Capela made last week against the Texas Legends in which he sprinted the court after a Legends turnover, read the defense and found an opening to receive a pass for an alley-oop lay-in with 3.4 seconds remaining.

“That’s a play that I’m not sure he makes early in the season; a play like that doesn’t come from individual practice,” said Sikma, who likens Capela’s raw physical ability to the Dallas Mavericks’ Tyson Chandler. “It comes from 5-on-5 experience, when you’re used to getting to your spot and knowing when you’re a threat.”

Capela has many positives. His footwork and hands are good, he has a quick second jump and he has established himself as a defensive presence.

“The big thing with Clint moving forward is developing core strength,” Sikma said. “He’s long, but he’s not very wide in ability to hold position. He’s got narrow hips. The post game will take a while.”

Capela is also being told to communicate more, and that was evident last Sunday in the Vipers’ game against Texas. Capela barked out screens on defense and vocally worked teammates through situations.

It is something that was absent earlier this season and has taken time to develop. French is Capela’s first language.

“I’ve got to keep talking,” Capela said. “That’s the most important thing. English is my second language, so it’s tough. Sometimes I can’t understand everything, but it comes with improvement. I need to do it.”

Second-year Vipers coach Nevada Smith has welcomed Sikma’s influence with open arms.

Smith said he has seen vast improvement in Capela’s face-up game, a popular trait of Sikma’s when he was a player. Sikma has also been a boon for a young coaching staff that includes assistant coaches Chris Johnson and Jason Young, both in their first year as coaches on the professional level.

“Jack’s the best. He’s just got so much to give,” Smith said. “We don’t have that experience in our locker room. We have a young staff, so to have a guy who’s been through a lot definitely helps us out.”

The important thing, Sikma said, is everybody, from the top of the Rockets on down through the Vipers, “is pulling on the same rope.”

“Clint’s exactly what they hoped this relationship with the D-League would help them do, which is develop a young player under their control, their style of play,” Sikma said. “The key thing for a young player is you’ve got to be better tomorrow than you are today.”

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                      Posted this in the game thread, but thought it deserved a more detailed look. After watching Clint Capela last night, it becomes obvious that the Raptors need their own D-League affiliate and possibly better player development coaching. Since the NBA and the players (in their infinite wisdom and greed) decided that the D-League is the only place allowed for NBA players under contract to get 5-on-5 playing experience outside the NBA itself.

The Rockets are doing a great job developing young players, and turning them into rotation players or tradeable assets.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/hou....html?mode=jqm

I had posted this a few weeks back as well.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post441289

Really is a good read and really does emphasize the importance of young, raw prospects getting playing time - regardless if it is 'only DLeague'.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        I had posted this a few weeks back as well.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post441289

Really is a good read and really does emphasize the importance of young, raw prospects getting playing time - regardless if it is 'only DLeague'.
                        Fools seldom.... :-)

Comment

I still see all kinds of promise in Bruno, a silky smooth jump, a long body that is unique among NBAers and he is still just a teenager.

But I know if the Raptors had owned their own D League team, he would have been at least a little bit further along.

I also know Masai is working diligently on getting Toronto’s own farm team, the price tag is about $6 million (chump change, really) and I know he’d like to put it somewhere in the GTA or Southern Ontario region to make it easier to get guys back and forth and keep tabs on them.

Can they do it in time for next season? Not sure but I think that would the goal and it’s an admirable one.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...tors-team.html
                          Not very often I agree with Doug Smith. Granted this is the first thing I've read from him in a loooong time - lol.

I'm surprised by the desire to get DLeague team in to GTA.

I thought for sure the border crossings would be an issue. But I guess the AHL manages, why not DLeague/Raps?

Would Hamilton be a good place? Copps Coliseum seems like a good venue and ideally situated in Southern Ontario.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Not very often I agree with Doug Smith. Granted this is the first thing I've read from him in a loooong time - lol.

I'm surprised by the desire to get DLeague team in to GTA.

I thought for sure the border crossings would be an issue. But I guess the AHL manages, why not DLeague/Raps?

Would Hamilton be a good place? Copps Coliseum seems like a good venue and ideally situated in Southern Ontario.
                            Build a new arena someplace on the east side of TO and just off the 401. Pickering? Give me a nice easy 60 minute run to games. I might get season tickets.

Comment

I really think the League really has to push for each team having their own D-League affiliate. The benefits are too great to ignore (even ignoring the results we're seeing from NBA teams with their own exclusive teams; all you need to look at are the development leagues in the NHL and MLB) and it also allows the D-League to gain a better reputation/standing with players. Having a legitimate D-League really would also (in my opinion) make those second round picks much more valuable.

Pleasantly surprised they're looking to have a team in Ontario (just because of the border issues). There are a LOT of cities that would gladly welcome a team.
                              Last edited by Just Is; Thu Apr 2, 2015, 09:06 AM.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                Build a new arena someplace on the east side of TO and just off the 401. Pickering? Give me a nice easy 60 minute run to games. I might get season tickets.
                                I meant ideally situated for the rest of the DLeague.

Would avoid major traffic getting in to and out of Toronto. Easily access Michigan and NY State as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X