Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Exclusive D-League Affiliate Coming?

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    For Celtic fans I was thinking of people that got into basketball in the 80's (Larry Bird) or the recent success (Pierce-Garnett-Allen) who were looking for a winner who is reasonably close. But the Bulls are a good example for the 90's.

I think there would have to have been enough basketball support in Rochester for the team to even exist. They had to like someone and unless it is a HS-college sports town, Knicks is the fit. I would feel weird if the Knicks put a D league team in my town. Going to the games would be like sleeping with the enemy.
    Western NY'ers hate NYC as much as all those people living outside the GTA in Ontario hate Toronto. I would be VERY surprised if there's a big Knicks following down there.

There's more Jays fans than Yankees fans in Buffalo.

Raptors Republic Rookie godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there are a lot of Knicks fans to contend with. Bills is a bit different because Buffalo, as a city, is struggling and can't compare to New York. Anyone know how far Rochester is from the Knicks new D league team?
    judging from google maps, it's about 5 1/2 drive from the one stadium in rochester to the other in white plains. i'm not sure if that's a large enough "sphere of influence" but, i guess with the westchester knicks being in the new york knicks backyard, they wouldn't object to another franchise in upstate new york. geographically, buffalo would be a better fit in my opinion. as well, a larger city would allow for a larger fanbase and more corporate sponsorship.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/10...0717!3e0?hl=en

Raptors Republic Rookie godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone remember former university of syracuse great Lawrence Moten?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2KJ wrote: View Post
    Interesting suggestion. Maybe they can do this like how Man City did with NY City in the MLS (then they sign a star/old star like Lampard, then loan him to the mother team lol).
    Man City - NY City MLS brings up an interesting idea. Why not expand the Toronto FC - Tottenham connection to put Toronto's NBA farm club into London, UK?

You've got the English language; you've got to admit it would be fun for a 20 year old to discover London. And MLSE could use Tottenham's help to try to drag the BBL up to standard for European competitions ... just like they're trying to lift MLS.

Crazy idea ... but not certifiably so, is it?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But the CHL isn't the minor leagues as much as the AHL is. The CHL route is to draft a player and leave him in the amateur league. Would be more akin to drafting a player and having him stay in NCAA.
    Yes, sorry I didn't mean that the CHL is a minor league like the AHL. But my point is that the CHL is a much superior league that develops hockey prospects at a much higher level compared to teh NCAA, like how some NHL-draftees at around ages 17-19 (correct me if I'm wrong) get drafted by NHL teams but then get sent back to their CHL teams to further develop their game and later on get a chance to make the team in the future. Unlike the current system in the NBA-DLeague-NCAA.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It would appear Rochester is pushing for this.
    Irrelevant because Rochester is not part of D-League to begin with.
    Raptors likely want ownership and complete control of their own D-League.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really bad business there by Rochester ... the team must feel desperate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information