Exclusive D-League Affiliate Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Expecting a European league/team to be in such a financial trouble that they need NBA to step in is absurd and naive. I expect D-League to replace college basketball rather than NBA invading Europe.
    A league wouldn't need to be in financial trouble to greatly benefit from an exclusive direct relation with the premier basketball league on the planet.

NCAA isn't going anywhere. It's as much a part of US basketball culture as the NBA is. Perhaps even more so. NBA D-league has no chance of replacing it.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think if I was a rookie and they told me I had to play in Turkey I'd be pretty pissed at the team. I almost suspect that's why Daniels is going to Australia, it's a lot less intimidating to a 20 year old who grew up in the US and only speaks English.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        I think if I was a rookie and they told me I had to play in Turkey I'd be pretty pissed at the team. I almost suspect that's why Daniels is going to Australia, it's a lot less intimidating to a 20 year old who grew up in the US and only speaks English.
        Turkey was just a random selection. For some people anything outside of Colonial England would be intimidating. For some though, it would be very exciting. Look at the top HS recruit who chose to play in China over NCAA for the year. Personally, I'd take the adventure but I know that's not for everyone.

I assumed Daniels ended up in Australia because it was the highest level of competition that the Raps could find and still be comfortable with Daniels' development and the team staff.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Also, how disappointing would it to play in Rochester?

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            Also, how disappointing would it to play in Rochester?
            You're still in the US, you're still in the same realm of timezones as your family, you're still close enough for friends to visit, you're still not in a super long-distance relationship with your girlfriend, you're still a hop and a skip away from both the city you intend to play for and from NY city, and you're still comfortable because while trying to become better at your craft you're not trying to learn a new language and dealing with people much older than you who also can't comfortably communicate with you, especially not on a true friendship level.

I understand where you're coming from and lots of people love the chance to travel and experience new cultures but more people feel alienated and don't care for the experience of being the lone foreigner. I just don't see enough of an advantage in Europe for you to not only risk your draft picks development but to also piss off the NBA after they've spent so much money building up the D League.

Comment

You're still in the US, you're still in the same realm of timezones as your family, you're still close enough for friends to visit, you're still not in a super long-distance relationship with your girlfriend, you're still a hop and a skip away from both the city you intend to play for and from NY city, and you're still comfortable because while trying to become better at your craft you're not trying to learn a new language and dealing with people much older than you who also can't comfortably communicate with you, especially not on a true friendship level.

I understand where you're coming from and lots of people love the chance to travel and experience new cultures but more people feel alienated and don't care for the experience of being the lone foreigner. I just don't see enough of an advantage in Europe for you to not only risk your draft picks development but to also piss off the NBA after they've spent so much money building up the D League.
              Well you're assuming that any players sent there are from the Eastern US, otherwise families/friends aren't that close to visit. Based on the fact that the Raps have 3 players this year best suited for a developmental season, and only one of them is American kinda proves that this isn't a valid point. Bebe and Bruno are both going to be far away from family and friends, but it's ok because they are foreigners? Can't expect Daniels to do it though cause he's American? It kinda sounds like the same BS players used to say about playing in Canada for the Raps; which is another reason for the Raps to help push the boundaries of international development.

Living overseas in a large city has way more benefits than living in a small town like Rochester. Just like Toronto is an example outside the US, lots of cities outside of NA are fantastic places to live.

At the end of the day, the perception of the D league is still low. It's not a good league in terms of quality and location (small towns). So many players would feel just as angry to be sent to Rochester as they would to Izmir. Unless the D league really develops, which is what the NBA is trying to do but personally I don't think the D league will last long as a top option.

Comment

The Bebe, Bruno thing makes no sense, if they have a problem playing far from their family then they're screwed if they want to play in the best league in the world because the NBA operates in North America.

And just because places outside of the US are great places to live doesn't mean that people want to play there. Most Canadians in the AHL could make a ton more money in Europe but they don't go because there's no association with the NHL and because they're not as comfortable.

Most people would prefer to be Cousin Larry, not Balki.

Comment

Most Canadians in the AHL could make a ton more money in Europe but they don't go because there's no association with the NHL and because they're not as comfortable .
                  But if there was direct association with the NBA...

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    But if there was direct association with the NBA...
                    Unless you can make the entire league shift their focus and you can ensure that the rookies wouldn't be sitting on the bench in favour of 30 year old Euro guys who will never make the league you might increase your chances but even at that point best you'll have is an NBA version of NFL-Europe, and more American players end up in the CFL and Arena League than over there.

Comment

Most people would prefer to be Cousin Larry, not Balki.
                      Balki has a lot more fun, though.

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Unless you can make the entire league shift their focus and you can ensure that the rookies wouldn't be sitting on the bench in favour of 30 year old Euro guys who will never make the league you might increase your chances but even at that point best you'll have is an NBA version of NFL-Europe, and more American players end up in the CFL and Arena League than over there.
                        NFL Europe failed because no one outside of NA cares about football. Basketball is a global sport, so I don't think the parallel works.

I don't think a NA based D league is sustainable. Too much competition from NCAA basketball and other sporting leagues. Euro fan bases are amazing (much more so than say Rochester).

And again, if the Raps own the team and the staff, you don't need to worry about the minutes allocation anymore than the D league.

Comment

The question is not who wants to play in Rochester or Buffalo or Flint or Sheboygan, whatever yankee town there is. The D-League is a minor league team, similar to baseball, hockey, soccer, etc, where the team is usually affiliated with the mother team.

I do think Rochester is a decent spot for the Raptors D-League team. It can attract fans from Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Syracuse, and the northern upstate NY. And it's only a 4-5 hour drive from TO. The relationship can be similar to how the Jays and the Bisons are. This will also benefit the players as well, so they won't have to fly far when they get sent down or called up. I remember Quincy Acy had to travel from TO back to Las Vegas or California, and back to TO within just a week due to someone getting injured in the roster (Bargs I believe).

I do think the NBA should develop a solid minor league system similar to baseball and our own CHL. This will then compete with the NCAA, and later on will surpass the NCAA in terms of talent level. Similar to how the CHL is much superior to the NCAA.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                            The question is not who wants to play in Rochester or Buffalo or Flint or Sheboygan, whatever yankee town there is. The D-League is a minor league team, similar to baseball, hockey, soccer, etc, where the team is usually affiliated with the mother team.

I do think Rochester is a decent spot for the Raptors D-League team. It can attract fans from Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Syracuse, and the northern upstate NY. And it's only a 4-5 hour drive from TO. The relationship can be similar to how the Jays and the Bisons are. This will also benefit the players as well, so they won't have to fly far when they get sent down or called up. I remember Quincy Acy had to travel from TO back to Las Vegas or California, and back to TO within just a week due to someone getting injured in the roster (Bargs I believe).

I do think the NBA should develop a solid minor league system similar to baseball and our own CHL. This will then compete with the NCAA, and later on will surpass the NCAA in terms of talent level. Similar to how the CHL is much superior to the NCAA.
                            But the CHL isn't the minor leagues as much as the AHL is. The CHL route is to draft a player and leave him in the amateur league. Would be more akin to drafting a player and having him stay in NCAA.

Comment

If they are trying to attract Raps fans, then I think Rochester is too far from Toronto and not really close to the border. It's about a 3hr drive from where I am in the GTA. Niagara Falls, NY would be ideal - only 1.5hr drive and lots of other things to do there. If a Raps D-League team was in N. Falls, I would definitely drive down from TO a few times to check out Bruno playing, but probably only once of not-at-all, if it was in Rochester. Buffalo (~2hr) would be the second choice, and I heard they were trying to get a D-League team there.

Comment

Maybe the plan is to make Raptors the team for Northern NY, the way the Bills are the team for Southern Ontario.

Comment

Working...
                                X