Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should raptors try and intercept Anthony Bennett?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should raptors try and intercept Anthony Bennett?

I was just thinking if we wanted Anthony Bennett now would be the best opportunistic time to get him but the price of it may make some people not want to see it happen but why not. Simple trade proposal.

Min:

PPat, Landry Fields, and a future 1st.

Tor:

Anthony Bennett

Why PPat and not Amir? Because Bennett and Patterson are both stretch 4s and Amir is a traditional 4. If you're wondering why a future 1st? Simple. I wouldn't see Minnesota doing it for less. They take Fields which is an expiring and PPat is on a very good contract and the best part of having a winning team is that it ups the value of your guys. PPat has "playoff experience, veteran leadership" when last year he was an unknown commodity. The 1st is not even gonna be a lottery pick so it's not going to kill the team plan plus shipping out 2 roster players for 1 opens up a spot on the team. Essentially it would turn flipping Rudy Gay, Landry Fields and a future 1st into Vasquez, Lou Williams and Anthony Bennett.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote one to wrote: View Post
    I was just thinking if we wanted Anthony Bennett now would be the best opportunistic time to get him but the price of it may make some people not want to see it happen but why not. Simple trade proposal.

Min:

Tor:

Anthony Bennett

Why PPat and not Amir? Because Bennett and Patterson are both stretch 4s and Amir is a traditional 4. If you're wondering why a future 1st? Simple. I wouldn't see Minnesota doing it for less. They take Fields which is an expiring and PPat is on a very good contract and the best part of having a winning team is that it ups the value of your guys. PPat has "playoff experience, veteran leadership" when last year he was an unknown commodity. The 1st is not even gonna be a lottery pick so it's not going to kill the team plan plus shipping out 2 roster players for 1 opens up a spot on the team. Essentially it would turn flipping Rudy Gay, Landry Fields and a future 1st into Vasquez, Lou Williams and Anthony Bennett.
    #FREE

3. Like Raptorsnz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No.

And proposed deal wouldn't get it done.

Minnesota wants to compete.

Thaddeus young >> Pp
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bennet wasn't Canadian, would there be any interest in acquiring another wing prospect right now?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    If Bennet wasn't Canadian, would there be any interest in acquiring another wing prospect right now?
    There's "wing prospect" and there's "recent first overall pick."

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    There's "wing prospect" and there's "recent first overall pick."
    And then there's "draft bust"

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote one to wrote: View Post

Min:

Tor:

Anthony Bennett

wouldn't that trade make the 76ers better which is something they don't want to happen ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
    And then there's "draft bust"
    Meh. He posted roughly a 13 PER over the final 25 games of the season. He was injured and out of shape early on. He won't be a bust.

10. Like Mack North liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't trade shit for Anthony Bennett. Dudes a bust.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bennett is an interesting buy low proposition, so if you find yourself in a position where you need to outbid another team for him, he's going to lose a lot of his value.

Raptors Republic Starter godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

MLSE/The Raptors front office doesn't employ many/any homers. They prefer to make player acquisitions based on objective metrics rather than nationalism/nationality.

14. Like Mapko liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    He's not a wing, he's a 4 with limited stretch appeal. His value will only go up from here, wouldn't mind snagging him. Disagree that he's a bust. He was drafted too high by the wrong team and put in the wrong situation. If he was filling a PPat role he'd look totally different as he did in LVSL and at UNLV before he got hurt. I still think he'll be a solid player. He's got the size and length to be a pain on D, especially in this new era of mobile front court players.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
    MLSE/The Raptors front office doesn't employ many/any homers. They prefer to make player acquisitions based on objective metrics rather than nationalism/nationality.
    That being said they would have loved to have picked up Ennis for both reasons

Post Thanks / Like

There are other threads on this. No way should any team that uses logic use a player like 2Pat to get Bennett.

Putting that aside, if they could get AB at a basement price you still do not make a move. Why? As discussed in past threads, the cap hold for a 1st overall pick is stupid. Especially as a player who has not proven himself. In a vacuum do you take a young, talent who was mishandled and is at their lowest value? Of course, but that cap hold is nasty.

Nothing to see here.

Post Thanks / Like

Bennett got drafted way too high, obviously. He was typically projected to go between 5-8 on most mock drafts in the weakest draft in recent memory. In hindsight, 5-8 slot is probably where he should have been drafted.

So, we need to stop thinking about Bennett as a 1st overall pick, because that's a big negative, in terms of upside expectation and from a salary point of view. I doubt he will be a bust, but if you want comparable wings for a buy-low, then we should be looking at guys who got drafted in that range, like Ben McLemore or KCP. In fact, KCP and Bennett already increased their trade value with strong summer league play.

Would YOU trade PPat, Fields expiring + 1st round for Ben McLemore? I think not.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/mocking-2013-nba-draft

19. Like Mapko liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, 1st round picks are likely going to become more valuable in the future if the lottery odds are leveled off a bit. If they were assets you want to hang onto before, now you should be even more opposed to dealing them, and expected return should go up. I wouldn't give up a future 1st for Anthony Bennett, especially on top of another quality asset(s).

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though Bennett had one of the worst rookie seasons ever last year, to nab him would require dangling an asset that either Minnesota or Philly would covet.

Minnesota is looking to win now because they haven't made the post season for 10 years. So to replace Bennett they would want someone better than Young and the only guy I could think of is Amir.

Philly is looking to win tomorrow so they would want an asset that is potentially better than Bennett could be. Raptors don't have much to offer, but the only guy that comes close to someone that Philly would be interested in is Ross.

I'm not moving either Amir or Ross for AB. I just don't see any other pieces that would attract him.. that includes the many expiring contracts the Raptors have (Philly is already bordering on the floor, and Minny is probably not anywhere near the tax). 2Pat can't be moved until mid-December either since he was a free agent.. plus I bet Minny would still prefer Thad Young over him anyway.. and he's not enough of a prospect to entice Philly in my opinion either.

I'd love to have AB despite his poor season.. I don't think Fields, Hayes, Tyler H, Lou W, etc get it done though.. and if you include a future first I'm sure the protections would have to be dropped which would make it too expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be easier to grab him after he goes to Philly.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take that gamble, yes. However, you can't trade 2pat right now.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we just make a "trade ideas to try and get Canadians" thread and put all the Wiggings/Bennett proposals in there?

25. Like LBF liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information