No announcement yet.

Tim Lieweke leaving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet those fuckers at MLSE just wouldn't let him do his job. Also I bet the potentially failed NFL bid has something to do with it. Also Rob Ford. I have no proof of any of this. But why else leave a lucrative five year contract after two
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

someone get me Larry Tannenbaum's personal email
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Not trying to read too much, but this seems like an important statement....

But with new opportunities on the horizon, it’s time for me to begin the transition from sports and entertainment executive to entrepreneur,” Leiweke said in a statement.

Sounds like the dude wants to be an owner and a boss.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...e_30_2015.html

Comment

maybe he has to leave if he wants to OWN the Bills

Comment

Comment

Well this was predictable. Those Bobcat rumors were too weirdly specific; nobody would bring in Leiweke's wife unless there was some real smoke there.

Losing the Bills hurts, but I am sure this is mostly about the weather and his marriage. As he said in an interview, "I want to stay married." So I can't blame him too much. Though part of me thinks it's a bitch move for him to talk so big and announce he's leaving after only one year.

He is a lame duck now. It's doubtful that he is going to be of much use these next nine months.

The interesting thing is that the cynics were right.... He is who they thought he is, and excessively optimistic to the point of delusion. I don't think this says anything about Masai other than I hope their team-building strategy was not excessively optimistic as well. The last two decades of NBA history have shown that it is nearly impossible for unattractive markets to build from the middle. I remain hopeful, but I have a history of my hope being crushed fairly routinely.

I guess it wouldn't be Raptorland without at least one disappointment per year.

Comment

Lieweke has produced championships wherever he's gone. If he thought that his name could be attached to a championship with any team under the MLSE banner I'm sure he would have stayed, as it can only add to his list of accomplishments. He would have been able to name his price anywhere he went after that.

If he is leaving it's because he doesn't see the ability to win a championship. Start the tank brigade.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  maybe he has to leave if he wants to OWN the Bills
                  His wifey would love living in Tonawanda or Batavia....but she could still make shopping trips to Bloor St.

Comment

That's a big punch in the nads... hopefully the next executive they hire has enough clout to help attract stars.

They should try to see if George Bodenheimer is interested in the job.. ex president/chairman of ESPN. Would have a tonne of connections. And if MLSE is interested in content.. Bodenheimer would know how to deliver. He retired though so not sure if he would be interested.. but MLSE needs to think big again.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      Lieweke has produced championships wherever he's gone. If he thought that his name could be attached to a championship with any team under the MLSE banner I'm sure he would have stayed, as it can only add to his list of accomplishments. He would have been able to name his price anywhere he went after that.

If he is leaving it's because he doesn't see the ability to win a championship. Start the tank brigade.
                      Disagree...these type of scenarios/moves are almost always about ego or the money...and Leiweke has plenty of the former

Comment

He's going back to LA as the CEO of the Clippers.

Well, at least we still have Masai Ujiri. Still sucks though. Any suggestions on who could succeed him?

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                          He's going back to LA as the CEO of the Clippers.

Well, at least we still have Masai Ujiri. Still sucks though. Any suggestions on who could succeed him?
                          Me

Comment

So where there is smoke there is fire after all!

It is unfortunate.

But here is me trying to look on positive side:
                            MLSE brought him in.
                            He was high profile get.
                            Let's see if they can do it again.

If they hire from within I will cry though...be forewarned.....oh unless it is Drake of course

I look forward to seeing what he does next.
                            He has done some pretty awesome things and if anything he cut cord with Colangelo.

I really don't care about hockey or soccer but raps are in a better position now than when he came in.

Comment

Note: I applaud him for the things he has done.

But I see some people, especially over on the front page, trying to blame Rogers/Bell for fucking up in some imaginative way. The way I see it, he came in flapping his gums about how MLSE was giving him everything he needed to commit long term and that he was committed to accomplishing great things, long term, blah, blah, blah. MLSE has shown their commitment via:
                              - big $$ to hire Masai for the nRaps
                              - big $$ to hire Shanahan for the Laffs
                              - big $$ to acquire 2 star players for TFC
                              - big $$ for new practice facility
                              - big commitment to host the NBA all star game

Yet barely over a year later, he says he's leaving soon to pursue owning his own business, and people are blaming Rogers/Bell for not giving him enough to achieve what his loud mouth said he was committed to? I don't get it. Ownership has shown their commitment, yet he has quickly shown he was blowing smoke up everybody's ass.

Comment

The fax machine at MLSE must be busy with all the resumes coming thru. It's going to be difficult to replace TL who alongwith his personality had a blend of schmoozing, business, showtime and sports acumen....and was available. If he is indeed blowing off this gig it must be another great opportunity or someone pissed him off. If it is with Ballmer then just running the Clips would not be the scale of the position....that would be too limiting...there has to be much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X