Tim Lieweke leaving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    MLSE found Leiweke...they'll find someone else. It would have been worse if MU left. TL has done zilch with the Leafs and marginal with TFC. He must have also been involved with the Bills sale but striking out there as well.
    I agree MU is more important but it was nice having Tim around.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Leiweke's dream is an NFL team.

The Clippers aren't going to Seattle.

Ballmer can't own two NBA teams.

My guess is any return to LA is prompted by getting an NFL team there.
      1. True TL was focused on the NFL in LA but his big accomplishment there was coming within a whisker of building a stadium there without which a team doesnt happen. I understand Kroenke (St Louis Rams) wants to move there so that could be.

2. Not so sure the Clips couldnt be moved to Seattle. LAL still own LA and the Clips have a lousy arrangement @ Staples and get pennies on the $ for TV rights etc comparatively. I think Silver is secretly in love with Ballmer (took 24 hrs. to stamp the xfer). There is however Hansen in Seattle who wants a team there as well. That would be a good franchise.

Comment

Time to promote Drake.
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

You'd have to be out of your mind to move a team out of LA and into Seattle. That's like going from Toronto to Hamilton.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
            You'd have to be out of your mind to move a team out of LA and into Seattle. That's like going from Toronto to Hamilton.
            If it was the only team there I'd agree. Must remember that the Clips were the dregs of the NBA while Seattle a thriving championship franchise with a great fan base. They lost the team because the local pop. werent up to being blackmailed to build a stadium/arena. Seattle btw is no Hamilton/not a good analogy. Seattle is the TO of the Pacific NW.
            Last edited by Bendit; Tue Aug 19, 2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

optimaloptimist wrote: View Post
              time to promote drake.
              started
              Worst Behaviour

Comment

If it was the only team there I'd agree. Must remember that the Clips were the dregs of the NBA while Seattle a thriving championship franchise with a great fan base. They lost the team because the local pop. werent up to being blackmailed to build a stadium/arena. Seattle btw is no Hamilton/not a good analogy. Seattle is the TO of the Pacific NW.
                Totally agree. Great fan base, very nice city, not in a conversation about Hamilton. To top things off, the new owner happens to call Seattle home, and already has demonstrated that he wants to bring the NBA back there. He had a deal in place to buy and move the Kings. Not out of the realm of possibility at all. Might even be just, as Seattle lost the Sonics when having an OKC owner that went out of his way to move the team.

That said, I don't care a whole lot if TL goes. The only MLSE team I care about is the Raptors, and TL already accomplished the most important goal of getting Masai for 5 years.

Comment

If the Clippers were in Seattle they wouldn't be worth $2B.

Milwaukee got $500M for their team and they're counting their blessings they got anything more than $300M.

Comment

If the Clippers were in Seattle they wouldn't be worth $2B.

Milwaukee got $500M for their team and they're counting their blessings they got anything more than $300M.
                    To be fair, the actual worth of the Clippers isn't $2B. Yes it's what was paid, but by pretty much all accounts it was the most inflated price in the sale of a sports team ever, and the team wouldn't have sold for even half that if it wasn't for the specific circumstances surrounding the sale.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      To be fair, the actual worth of the Clippers isn't $2B. Yes it's what was paid, but by pretty much all accounts it was the most inflated price in the sale of a sports team ever, and the team wouldn't have sold for even half that if it wasn't for the specific circumstances surrounding the sale.
                      I think when you actually sell something is when you find out the actual worth of it.

Just because Forbes says it it doesn't make it fact until someone writes the cheque. So basically we KNOW that the Clippers are worth $2B.

Comment

The cheque tells you what the buyer was willing to pay in the purchase. This is not the same thing as setting the actual value/worth of the franchise.

Comment

I think when you actually sell something is when you find out the actual worth of it.

Just because Forbes says it it doesn't make it fact until someone writes the cheque. So basically we KNOW that the Clippers are worth $2B.
                          Based on that logic, they'd be worth the same if he moved the team to Seattle. Contrary to your original statement.

That $2B was what 1 man (worth $20B) deemed it was worth to him, not anybody else, not related to actual business value.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

A new challenge? Don't you complete your 'last challenge' before moving onto a new one? Are the Toronto teams that good that they can't be better? And if they are, why not stay to enjoy the the championships? Debunked.

Family hated the winter? They knew what to expect moving to Canada. This is just silly. Debunked.

I don't buy it, unless there is something we don't know...

Comment

And even more out of his mind to pay 2 billions for a team in LA and then move it to Seattle. Just buy the Bucks or the Hawks!

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
                                Based on that logic, they'd be worth the same if he moved the team to Seattle. Contrary to your original statement.

That $2B was what 1 man (worth $20B) deemed it was worth to him, not anybody else, not related to actual business value.
                                Others offered 1.6 bil. He offered 25% more, but it's not like he doubled or tripled the price. It's a team in NBA's probably best market, the Lakers are a mess, the Clippers have a legit contender and equally importantly an exciting popular team. They also aren't locked into a bad local TV deal. So they have a real opportunity to be a major player in that market in the long term, and they will very likely be rewarded for it with a rich TV deal.

Forbes numbers change. 5 years ago they were valuing Barcelona at 1 billion, now they value it at 3.2 billion because people started paying more for top soccer teams and their revenues keep rising through the roof as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X