No announcement yet.

Tim Lieweke leaving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't think Lieweke is going anywhere for at least two more years.

Interview with Michael Grange http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ign-from-mlse/

MG: Are you leaving ‘soon’?

TL: No, there is no timeline. I’ve never said I would be here forever, but my work here is not done. We have to get the NBA All-Star Game done. We have to get the Raptors practice facility done. We have to get all three teams winning.

MG: Does the NFL deal impact your tenure?

TL: Not in the least. I’ll bet you a hell of a lot of money we’re talking about the Leafs and the Raptors making the playoffs in the same year when we talk in April.

MG: Did you have a non-compete clause when you left Los Angeles?

TL: No, there was no non-compete. I can go wherever I want and I want to be here, and I love what we’re doing and I think we’re making inroads. But we’re right smack in the middle of about a dozen huge projects and I’m going to get them done.

MG: What is on the horizon?

TL: I’ll think about this once we’re through everything we need to get through, but right now we’re focused on the season at hand and I guarantee you, I will be here.

MG: And then reassess?

TL: I serve at the beck and call of the board and so they have a voice in this too, but from my standpoint I’m focused on this season, and that’s all I’m focused on.

MG: Is there any conflict with the board?

TL: I get along well with the board and I like where we’re at and I like what we’re doing and to their credit they’ve given us the capital and the resources. You’re going to hear a series of announcements in the next couple of days. We have some very good things about to be announced, that’s why these rumours are completely untrue.

MG: And suggestions about the weather being an issue?

TL: I grew up in St. Louis and spent four years in Minneapolis and when I do leave here during the winter I go to my home in Vail, so the winters can’t bother me that much.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I'm really not that worried. Someone close to TL probably said something to someone about once he's done here he might go do something else, and that probably all. Why would he leave this soon? It wouldn't make any sense, he hasn't finished anything, everything is still just getting started!
      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
        I'm really not that worried. Someone close to TL probably said something to someone about once he's done here he might go do something else, and that probably all. Why would he leave this soon? It wouldn't make any sense, he hasn't finished anything, everything is still just getting started!
        Reading that interview definitely put me a little more at ease
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
          Reading that interview definitely put me a little more at ease
          Agreed, high-level execs are rarely good at hiding their true intentions in interviews.

Comment

So basically year by year.

Fair enough.

Thanks for posting mr. Z

Comment

Bruce Arthur @ the Star today figures TL will likely be gone after this coming season, even with the Grange interview taken into consideration (mobile link - http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sport...ls_arthur.html).
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Sounds about 50/50 to me. One more winter would be enough to fend off the rumours about winter being the cause. Would also give him time to have more accomplishments to spin, presumably.

Unfortunately this would be a bodyblow to the "Toronto as huge player" image.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Sounds about 50/50 to me. One more winter would be enough to fend off the rumours about winter being the cause. Would also give him time to have more accomplishments to spin, presumably.

Unfortunately this would be a bodyblow to the "Toronto as huge player" image.
                  There are other big shot execs MLSE could bring in to replace Leiweke. It's still an extremely desirable job (running 3 major sports franchises) for a multi billion dollar company. At least now MLSE has a year of prep time to start finding Leiweke's replacement. The most important thing for us Raptor fans was getting Ujiri, and that's not going to change when Leiweke leaves.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...60465768054784

@DarrenDreger
                    Good reporting, followed by denial, is often followed by an announcement. Case in point...

Perfectly said!

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-end-of-story/

Comment

Looks like he's staying

Comment

ogi wrote: View Post
                          Looks like he's staying
                          Where are you getting that? Twitter has like 80 people confirming that he's gone at the latest June 2015.

Comment

MLSE just confirmed he's leaving next June. Man, I really wanted him to recruit Durant. #UltimateCloser

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                              Where are you getting that? Twitter has like 80 people confirming that he's gone at the latest June 2015.
                              Yeah just saw. My bad.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X