FIBA World Cup 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA World Cup 2014

The FIBA World Cup 2014 starts a week from Saturday. Jonas Valanciunas is playing and let's hope that Demar Derozan makes the cut for the USA team.

Some points of interest are:

Spain is host and has never beaten the USA in head to head competition in the World Championship or Olympics. They are a very experienced unit and have all their top players on board for this tournament.

The USA squad will be deep with 12 NBA players and well prepared but are missing so many of their top players in LBJ, Durant, Chris Paul, Paul George, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Lamarcus Aldridge, and Derrick Rose may not be ready. Coach K is 64-1 in FIBA competition since 2005.

France is without Parker, Noah, and De Colo who are injured. Other teams missing NBA players are Argentina (Ginobli and Delfino), Australia (Bogut and Mills), New Zealand (Adams), Finland (Jerebko), Serbia (Nedovic) and Turkey (Kanter and Ilyasova).

Former Raptors playing - Jose Calderon, Roko Ukic, Leandro Barbosa, Carlos Arroyo, Rudy Gay and David Anderson. Hamed Haddadi was briefly on the Raptors roster though he never played a game for Toronto.

Canada did not qualify.

Teams play a round robin in 4 groups of 6 with the top 4 teams from each group qualifying for the 16 team knockout bracket. Lithuania and Spain is a potential semi final match up.
    Last edited by stretch; Thu Aug 21, 2014, 10:41 AM.

stretch wrote: View Post
    The FIBA World Cup 2014 starts a week from Saturday. Jonas Valanciunas is playing and let's hope that Demar Derozan makes the cut for the USA team.

Some points of interest are:

Spain is host and has never beaten the USA in head to head competition in the World Championship or Olympics. They are a very experienced unit and have all their top players on board for this tournament.

The USA squad will be deep with 12 NBA players and well prepared but are missing so many of their top players in LBJ, Durant, Chris Paul, Paul George, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Lamarcus Aldridge, and Derrick Rose may not be ready. Coach K is 64-1 in FIBA competition since 2005.

France is without Parker, Noah, and De Colo who are injured. Other teams missing NBA players are Argentina (Ginobli and Delfino), Australia (Bogut and Mills), New Zealand (Adams), Finland (Jerebko), Serbia (Nedovic) and Turkey (Kanter and Ilyasova).

Former Raptors playing - Jose Calderon, Roko Ukic, Leandro Barbosa, Carlos Arroyo, Rudy Gay and David Anderson. Hamed Haddadi was briefly on the Raptors roster though he never played a game for Toronto.

Canada did not qualify.

Teams play a round robin in 4 groups of 6 with the top 4 teams from each group qualifying for the 16 team knockout bracket. Lithuania and Spain is a potential semi final match up.
    Lithuania and Spain is a potential semi final? Are you sure? I thought we'll see A-B and C-D matchups. Spain is in Group A, Lithuania and USA in groups D and C

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      Lithuania and Spain is a potential semi final? Are you sure? I thought we'll see A-B and C-D matchups. Spain is in Group A, Lithuania and USA in groups D and C
      I stand corrected. It's USA and Lithuania in a potential semi final match.

Comment

Brazil vs Lithuania right now is live

http://atdhe.sx/basketball/watch-brazil-lithuania-6dhba

Comment

Valanciunas not playing?

Comment

Valanciunas not playing?
            He is. Coach put him on the bench after couple mins.. not sure why

Comment

Not sure if I'm watching Lithuania playing or Indiana Pacers right there. LOL. Jonas looks like Hibbert too. Slow as shit

Comment

First two quarters where quite brutal, no defence, poor offence. Somehow after hangtime, they decided to play basketball and won 61:64 (18:22, 7:16, 21:14, 18:9).

JV 11 pts 3 rebs (26 mins).

Brasil:
                Nene Hilario 13, Tiago Splitter 11.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

USA plays Puerto Rico and then the roster cuts come. I would be shocked if Rose makes this team. His injury concerns predominate his involvement. It's FIBA basketball, a supreme grind of 5 games in 6 days.

Comment

USA plays Puerto Rico and then the roster cuts come. I would be shocked if Rose makes this team. His injury concerns predominate his involvement. It's FIBA basketball, a supreme grind of 5 games in 6 days.
                    When is this game against Puerto Rico taking place?
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        Tomorrow on ESPN
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

USA plays Slovenia on Tuesday in the Canaries for a final tune up.

Comment

I guess we'll get hammered without Bogut (Usual) and Patty. Oh well, future is very bright.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              I guess we'll get hammered without Bogut (Usual) and Patty. Oh well, future is very bright.
                              Any of the youngsters like Simmons and Humphries playing?

Comment

Working...
                              X