Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Overrated/Underrated teams for upcoming season

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    9,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Overrated/Underrated teams for upcoming season

    Underrated:
    Hawks- Coach Bud is a good coach and they were the 3rd seed last season before losing Al Horford
    Mavs- The only team in the playoffs to compete with the Spurs and they have also added Chandler Parsons


    Overrated:
    Trailblazers- A team that got hot from 3 and plays no defense....... Does this team remind you of the 2012-2013 Knicks? Also they have zero depth and if any starter gets injured, they wont even make the playoffs in the West
    Bulls- Chicago is talented and deep, but they still have a ton of question marks (Snell, Butler, McDermott, Mirotic, the health of Rose and Gasol)
    Wizards- Washington downgraded at SF with the loss of Trevor Ariza. Paul Pierce is a shell of himself and canít produce in all of the ways that Ariza did.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Cleveland Cavaliers. The idea of stockpiling stars does not always work, especially at first. I am skeptical that this year will be a great one for Cleveland. Next year, they have to resign Mr. Love. Will it be a rocky marriage?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I haven't paid attention to how teams are being rated, and by whom, so have little original thought on the subject. To comment on your selections:

    I think you may be over rating the Hawks. Yes, they were 3rd seed over 29 games with Horford, but that was a really soft schedule with 17/29 games vs non=playoff teams and about 4/5 more vs 7th/8th seeds.

    Mavs. Nothing would surprise me. Coach Carlisle seems to always get the most out of his players, and with a plan. I read an interesting tidbit about how the Mavs competed so well vs the Spurs in the playoffs. Their defensive schemes actually goaded the Spurs players into much more iso offense than is their norm.

    Wiz, agreed. They are also not deep at all, so I don't see them doing as well as some seem to think.

    Blazers. I see what you say about lack of depth, but damn, they won 54 games in the West with that team.

    The Bulls, if Rose remains healthy, will be very good, so not sure if they're overrated.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll say Charlotte Hornets are underrated. I had to stop myself from typing Bobcats. Very deep team at every position except point guard where I think Lance Stephenson will running the offense at times. Lost McRoberts who had a career year last year, gained Stephenson and Vonleh. Henderson and Walker can score.

    I think Miami Heat are overrated due to the obvious reason plus Wade has a lot of mileage on those knees and can not be counted on to play a full season plus playoffs. Bosh will be a great pick for fantasy leagues.

  5. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    sicamouse
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the spurs are underrated

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Underrated
    -Spurs
    -Mavs
    -Raptors
    -Hawks
    -Timberwolves

    Overrated
    -Wizards
    -Portland
    -Bulls
    -Warriors
    -Bucks

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    I'll say Charlotte Hornets are underrated. I had to stop myself from typing Bobcats. Very deep team at every position except point guard where I think Lance Stephenson will running the offense at times. Lost McRoberts who had a career year last year, gained Stephenson and Vonleh. Henderson and Walker can score.

    I think Miami Heat are overrated due to the obvious reason plus Wade has a lot of mileage on those knees and can not be counted on to play a full season plus playoffs. Bosh will be a great pick for fantasy leagues.
    I meant to say Al Jefferson not Henderson.

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think the Bulls are overrated. Yes, they have one of the biggest question marks with Rose, but their roster is better this year than last, and they were a playoff team last year. I mean, they've done as much as anybody in the East (except maybe Cleveland) to improve their roster this offseason, and they were tied for 3rd in the East last year without Rose, and a worse cast around Noah. Way I see it, if Rose is healthy they compete for the top seed. If he's not, they once again compete for a top 4 seed and are probably at worst a 6th seed.

    Washington seems a bit overrated to me. I think they have a good chance to win their division. I also am not convinced any team in their division finishes with 50 wins. All have concerns in terms of depth, and since injuries are not predictable, that pretty much means the division is up for grabs. If Big Al is healthy most of the year in Charlotte, and the "crazy" they added with Hairston and Stephenson doesn't destroy chemistry, they're a very scary team and just as good as Washington. And Atlanta and Miami aren't far behind.

    I think Miami is also overrated, because I think they're the least likely to win the division but don't see that as the popular sentiment. They have a lot of issues. They lost shooters. They lost creativity. They will be worse attacking the basket, creating in the post, and hitting outside shots, so how are they going to score enough points to win? Their interior D is still an issue, and their rebounding is probably worse. Their perimeter D is worse too...So basically, they obviously got worse across the board, which makes sense with LeBron bolting. Add the fact that Wade is probably not likely to play a healthy season, so issues will be worse for some chunk of games, and I just think they'll be fighting hard to make the playoffs, and would be impressed if they did better than a 5th seed.

    Spurs are always underrated. No one has been talking about them, once again.

    Dallas is not being talked about a lot. I feel like they made good additions to what was already a fairly strong team. They're well coached too. It's the West so they could have to play insane ball to make the playoffs, but I'd hate to face them in the playoffs.

    I wanna say Toronto is underrated, because I've seen enough random things saying they won't win the division and will be a 6th-8th caliber team, however I think mostly they're an afterthought and thus disrespected more out of ignorance than a real critical opinion. I think something working in the Raps' favour is their depth compared to other teams in their range. That usually counts for something in the regular season. If the difference between TOR, WAS and CHA ends up being who gets more consistent production from their bench and who can better withstand injuries, then I like Toronto's chances.

  10. Like ezz_bee liked this post
  11. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it will be the other Chandler that makes a difference in Dallas ... Chandler Parsons as an upgrade over Marion may be good for the future, but Tyson Chandler over the likes of Samuel Dalembert will be a huge impact right away. If Jameer Nelson, Felton and Harris can contribute well, could be a home-court team
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  12. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although there weren't huge upgrades, I also see the Knicks as underrated ... As much as I want them to be awful, I can actually see them being a 4-6 playoff seed this year.
    Jose and Larkin will upgrade the PG spot with Prigioni ... 1 or 2 of Hardaway, Shump, JR can play well nightly. Just kinda rough frontline of Amare, Bargs, Dalembert, Cole ... yeh, maybe they won't be good.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  13. Like Shantz liked this post
  14. #11
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Cavs are totally overrated

    Love - no D
    Irving - no D
    Waiters - meh
    Verajao - has he ever played a complete season?
    Thompson - due to take a step back possibly even not start

    Blatt - no NBA coaching experience

    also with the exception of Verajao 5 of their 8 main rotation guys have no playoff experience.

    People are picking them to win the east...maybe...but come playoff time they will be upset by a hungrier deeper team
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift

  15. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    EARTH
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Underrated:
    Hawks- Coach Bud is a good coach and they were the 3rd seed last season before losing Al Horford
    Mavs- The only team in the playoffs to compete with the Spurs and they have also added Chandler Parsons


    Overrated:
    Trailblazers- A team that got hot from 3 and plays no defense....... Does this team remind you of the 2012-2013 Knicks? Also they have zero depth and if any starter gets injured, they wont even make the playoffs in the West
    Bulls- Chicago is talented and deep, but they still have a ton of question marks (Snell, Butler, McDermott, Mirotic, the health of Rose and Gasol)
    Wizards- Washington downgraded at SF with the loss of Trevor Ariza. Paul Pierce is a shell of himself and canít produce in all of the ways that Ariza did.
    The BULLS overrated?? Are you kidding me. There coaching, overall team chemistry is fantastic. They basically have been playing the last 2yrs without there all star/team MVP, league MVP pg. And now they have Pau Gasol. c'mon man. do you watch ball??

    The Wizards will be tough. I don't believe they are overrated but they are what we think they are. A middle of the road team with some young outstanding players. Pierce is there for leadership, and experience. Plus he's clutch in the fourth, when the game really matters. Perfect teacher for Otto Porter to learn from. They will give every team in the Eastern Conference fits.

  16. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote otiswolf wrote: View Post
    The BULLS overrated?? Are you kidding me. There coaching, overall team chemistry is fantastic. They basically have been playing the last 2yrs without there all star/team MVP, league MVP pg. And now they have Pau Gasol. c'mon man. do you watch ball??
    Exactly. As Mack11 noted, the Bulls are talented but have big question marks that could easily drop them from a 1 or 2 seed to a middling seed. I'll believe they can get a full, healthy season out of Rose when I see it, ditto for Pau who's only played more than 65 games once in the last 5 years and may be on the decline.

  17. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Cavs are totally overrated

    Love - no D
    Irving - no D
    Waiters - meh
    Verajao - has he ever played a complete season?
    Thompson - due to take a step back possibly even not start

    Blatt - no NBA coaching experience

    also with the exception of Verajao 5 of their 8 main rotation guys have no playoff experience.

    People are picking them to win the east...maybe...but come playoff time they will be upset by a hungrier deeper team
    yea, the Raptors in round 2. I wouldn't go as far as to say they are totally overrated. They will take some time to gel, but they'll be strong come playoffs. That guy LeBron, or whatever his name is, makes everyone much better.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  18. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Although there weren't huge upgrades, I also see the Knicks as underrated ... As much as I want them to be awful, I can actually see them being a 4-6 playoff seed this year.
    Jose and Larkin will upgrade the PG spot with Prigioni ... 1 or 2 of Hardaway, Shump, JR can play well nightly. Just kinda rough frontline of Amare, Bargs, Dalembert, Cole ... yeh, maybe they won't be good.
    Underrated? I think you meant overrated!

  19. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Cavs - I'm hoping we're in for a D12 to Lakers Part 2, but I think it'll look more like Miami's Big 3 first year together.

    Based off the NBA.com power rankings (http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/):

    Bulls - definitely not overrated and they should be representing the EC as long as DRose is healthy. No easy buckets in the paint against Chi-town.

    Blazers - overrated

    Wizards - Who did they lose besides Ariza? Raptors fans do not need to be reminded that the Truth is still alive and well so I don't think they're taking any steps back. With Beal poised to take the next step, they're moving in the same direction as us.
    The Southeast is theirs as the Atlantic is ours. I think its fair to call the Raps/Wiz sleepers
    Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
    Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
    Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

  20. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ahoang wrote: View Post
    Wizards - Who did they lose besides Ariza? Raptors fans do not need to be reminded that the Truth is still alive and well so I don't think they're taking any steps back. With Beal poised to take the next step, they're moving in the same direction as us.
    Pierce also played the majority of his minutes at power forward last season. He has the strength to contend with other team's PF, but I question his foot speed to keep up with small forwards this year which is exactly what Washington needs him to do this year.

    I view it as Washington replaced Ariza with someone who doesn't play the same position, and Ariza was paramount to Washington's defensive success.

  21. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    9,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    Pierce also played the majority of his minutes at power forward last season. He has the strength to contend with other team's PF, but I question his foot speed to keep up with small forwards this year which is exactly what Washington needs him to do this year.

    I view it as Washington replaced Ariza with someone who doesn't play the same position, and Ariza was paramount to Washington's defensive success.
    Ariza defended the best perimeter scorer and was a lights out shooter for them

    Pierce can't defend SF's and he not a great spot up shooter like Ariza

  22. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Underrated - Knicks.
    Knicks got a floor spacing point guard who can quell the offense.
    This means less isos for JR, Melo etc and more team ball
    They got a new coach who gets respect, so no locker room problems
    The triangle offense might just be what this Knicks team needs, and if JR has any bounceback, Hardaway builds upon his great rookie campaign and Shumpert is worthwhile, Melo can take this team to 6th seed and up easy

  23. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Overrated - Rockets
    They lost Jeremy Lin (their backup PG), Chandler Parsons (their stretch four, 3rd option on offense), Omer Asik (great backup C, could start on many teams).
    Ariza played well in a contract year but his play isnt really sustainable and their bench is really weak
    I dont see them being better than Clips, Spurs, OKC, GSW, Trailblazers for sure.
    Rockets are horribly inconsistent with their Big 2, and this will hurt them in the playoffs

    Memphis is argually better than them, Mavs could surprise people, Denver is finally healthy, NOLA is healthy and has chemistry and has a new star in Anthony Davis that could set the league ablaze

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •