Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Underrated - Nuggets
    They have all their pieces healthy finally
    All-star caliber Ty Lawson is healthy
    Their bigs rotation is lethal!
    Javale, Mozgov
    Kenneth Faried, JJ Hickson, Darell Arthur

Gallinari could be coming back into form soon but in the meantime, Wilson Chandler is serviceable and isnt that much of a dropoff when he starts.

They are lacking a backup PG (dont trust Nate Robinson)
    But what people are missing is their SGs:

They got Afflalo for scraps, and he was having a all-star consideration season tbh
    Gary Harris can contribute immediately and Randy Foye is great as a backup SG

2. Like thead liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Exactly. As Mack11 noted, the Bulls are talented but have big question marks that could easily drop them from a 1 or 2 seed to a middling seed. I'll believe they can get a full, healthy season out of Rose when I see it, ditto for Pau who's only played more than 65 games once in the last 5 years and may be on the decline.
    Dropping from a top team to middling playoff team is not a huge issue though, in terms of the "overrated" conversation. Thing is, they're still a playoff team, possibly a good one, even without their most talented player.

Can we say the same for any other team in the East? Most of the teams really can't afford the loss of a key player for any longish stretch. For the most obvious example, Charlotte is my choice. Losing Al would maybe be the most devastating injury for any team. He may not be quite as good a player, but him getting hurt would be just as bad or worse as KD or LeBron getting hurt for their teams.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Dropping from a top team to middling playoff team is not a huge issue though, in terms of the "overrated" conversation. Thing is, they're still a playoff team, possibly a good one, even without their most talented player.

Can we say the same for any other team in the East? Most of the teams really can't afford the loss of a key player for any longish stretch. For the most obvious example, Charlotte is my choice. Losing Al would maybe be the most devastating injury for any team. He may not be quite as good a player, but him getting hurt would be just as bad or worse as KD or LeBron getting hurt for their teams.
    Match ups are more important than seeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Match ups are more important than seeding.
    I agree.

I don't know how that follows up on my post though. Or really how that relates to over/under-rating.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

based on the NBA power rankings cited above

Pacers are overrated @ 13 (5th in the East) although this was probably posted before the George injury.
    Heat @ 14 (6th in the East) Spolestra's and good coach, but Wade is breaking down, and although Bosh is underrated, we know he can't carry a team by himself. Should make playoffs but the 6th seed and a first round exit is their ceiling.

Rockets are overrated @ 9 (although 7th in the West is probably right). I don't see them getting out of the first round, and despite the talent, I could see them on the outside looking in when the playoff start. Won't get out of the first round.

Hawks are crazy underrated at @ 19 (9th in the East!?!?!?) Hawks are a LOCK for the playoffs. They haven't missed the playoffs in 7 years. It wouldn't surprise me to see them with home court.

Pelicans are underrated @ 20 (11th in the West). Some players are soo good that if you have them you make the playoffs. Anthony Davis is almost certainly that player. I think this might be the year he proves it. I could see them sneaking into the 8th spot in the West.

Overrated: The Western Conference
    Underrated: The Eastern Conference

This is less true now, because of the George injury, but the Eastern Conference as a whole is closing the Talent gap on the West. If it wasn't for the George injury the 7-8 seeds in the East might have actually had a fighting chance at doing damage in the first round against the 1-2 seeds. Much like how Dallas and Memphis took strong 1&2 seeds to 7 games. Oh well.

My Power Rankings

East Power Rankings
    Tier 1 (1-2), "Competing for 1st in Conference": Heat/Cavs

2nd Tier (3-5), "Competing for Home court" : Raps/Wiz/Hawks

3rd Tier (6-7), "First round exits": Hornets/Heat

4th Tier (8-11) "Thanks for trying": Pacers/Nets/Knicks/Pistons

5th Tier (12-15) "It's crowed at the bottom": Sixers, Bucks, Magic, Celtics

WEST
    Tier 1 (1-3), Competing for top seed: Spurs/OKC/Clips

Tier 2 (4-6), Competing for home court: Mavs/Grizz/Warriors

Tier 3, (7) "Should make the playoffs": Blazers

Tier 4, (8-11) "The battle for the last spot": Suns/Pelicans/Nuggets/Rockets

Tier 5, (12-14) "Thanks for trying!": Lakers/Kings/T'Wolves

Tier 6 (15), "It's lonely at the bottom": Jazz
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Underrated: Phoenix Suns

This is the one team that no one is talking about. I feel the Blazers are going to drop, as are the Mavs (Too many old guys and losing Jose will hurt big time) and the Rockets (Losing Lin is like us w/o GV). The Suns may have lost Frye, but Dragic is highly underrated as a PG, and adding Ennis will only help this team grow.

Overrated: Houston Rockets

Harden and D12. Besides those 2 guys, who does this team have? Do you really expect Beverely to take a giant leap forward? I don't think so.

Underrated: Minnesota Timberwolves

Yes, folks. This is my sleeper team of the West. Why? They have a young core all around, and this team may mesh rather quickly. I know that Bennet struggles lat season, but giving him time with Young will strengthen his game. Rubio is a assist machine, and having both Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng running the floor together will give this team a bigger lift than people think. I believe they won the Love trade, not Cleveland.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Boston Celtics are really underrated IMO. Everybody see them in the 12-15 rank, but their team is pretty deep.

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
    Bradley/Thornton/Bogans
    Green/Turner/Wallace
    Sullinger/Bass/Olynyk
    Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

DOPE TEAM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Boston Celtics are really underrated IMO. Everybody see them in the 12-15 rank, but their team is pretty deep.

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
    Bradley/Thornton/Bogans
    Green/Turner/Wallace
    Sullinger/Bass/Olynyk
    Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

DOPE TEAM
    Well, it's largely the same team as last year, where they won 25 games. Don't know if they're being underrated. At best if everything falls into place for them, maybe they compete for the playoffs. I see them as a 25-35 win team.

10. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Cavs are totally overrated

Love - no D
    Irving - no D
    Waiters - meh
    Verajao - has he ever played a complete season?
    Thompson - due to take a step back possibly even not start

Blatt - no NBA coaching experience

also with the exception of Verajao 5 of their 8 main rotation guys have no playoff experience.

People are picking them to win the east...maybe...but come playoff time they will be upset by a hungrier deeper team

All these points are true BUT......they have LeBron

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

I don't know how that follows up on my post though. Or really how that relates to over/under-rating.
    Just a continuation . We really need to be cognizant of playoff positioning when April rolls around. Despite Wizards success last year I still believe we could have beat them in a first round matchup last year. Who you play is more important than the seed you finish in.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Underrated: anthony Bennet and Tyrone Wiggans!

Overrated: Tom Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's largely the same team as last year, where they won 25 games. Don't know if they're being underrated. At best if everything falls into place for them, maybe they compete for the playoffs. I see them as a 25-35 win team.
    Same team but with Tyler Zeller, Evan Turner, Marcus Thornton and Marcus Smart. Older Sullinger, Olynyk, Bradley.

Healthier Rondo and Green, probably even Wallace.

Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulls are overrated as hell.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
    Bradley/Thornton/Bogans
    Green/Turner/Wallace
    Sullinger/Bass/Olynyk
    Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

DOPE TEAM

I see the Celtics in the 12-15 range because thats as low as we can rate them. They are only better than the Sixer's who really aren't trying this year... again. The league should fine Hinkie for conduct unbecoming a professional sports franchise.

Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Underrated: Phoenix Suns

This is the one team that no one is talking about. I feel the Blazers are going to drop, as are the Mavs (Too many old guys and losing Jose will hurt big time) and the Rockets (Losing Lin is like us w/o GV). The Suns may have lost Frye, but Dragic is highly underrated as a PG, and adding Ennis will only help this team grow.

Overrated: Houston Rockets

Harden and D12. Besides those 2 guys, who does this team have? Do you really expect Beverely to take a giant leap forward? I don't think so.

Underrated: Minnesota Timberwolves

Yes, folks. This is my sleeper team of the West. Why? They have a young core all around, and this team may mesh rather quickly. I know that Bennet struggles lat season, but giving him time with Young will strengthen his game. Rubio is a assist machine, and having both Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng running the floor together will give this team a bigger lift than people think. I believe they won the Love trade, not Cleveland.

I agree overall, but for the T'Wolves, everything depends on the type of production they get from their core of young players. I think that Thad Young is a terrific player who can (to an extent) play in Kevin Love's shoes, and they are indeed still deep at the 5 spot with Pekovic and Dieng.

If Rubio can raise his shooting % to a more efficient number (~45%), he can help create better looks for his corps of young shooters surrounding him. Him and Wiggins+ Lavine will be tremendous on the defensive end, and will be a nuisance for opposing guards.

Overall, I would love to see the T'Wolves earn a playoff berth.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty strongly disagree with the T'Wolves being underrated. They're in the West, just got a lot younger and lost their best player. It took 49 wins just to make the playoffs in the West last year. They're not going anywhere.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I pretty strongly disagree with the T'Wolves being underrated. They're in the West, just got a lot younger and lost their best player. It took 49 wins just to make the playoffs in the West last year. They're not going anywhere.
    they are not going anything this season but their future is as bright as any team in the league. I see them becoming somewhat of an OKC style team foundation very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    they are not going anything this season but their future is as bright as any team in the league. I see them becoming somewhat of an OKC style team foundation very soon.
    But that's irrelevant in this conversation. Can't starting rating teams by where we think they'll be in a few years when every team will experience lots of change in that time. The thread was created to focus on this upcoming season, so that's what I'll focus on.

I fully agree the Wolves have a bright future. Think they still need to figure some things out, but they have lots of youth and athleticism, and that's never a bad start.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But that's irrelevant in this conversation. Can't starting rating teams by where we think they'll be in a few years when every team will experience lots of change in that time. The thread was created to focus on this upcoming season, so that's what I'll focus on.

I fully agree the Wolves have a bright future. Think they still need to figure some things out, but they have lots of youth and athleticism, and that's never a bad start.
    Alright, ill take my irrelevant 2 cents back. LOL

Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They definitely have the pieces and the potential to become a great team in the West. It remains to be seen how long it will take for them to figure everything out. They might break out next season like the Suns did this past season, thus accelerating their growth.

Phx started last year with everyone anticipating that they would be a bottom feeder team. Its amazing how quickly that changed in one year.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information