No announcement yet.

Overrated/Underrated teams for upcoming season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavs - I'm hoping we're in for a D12 to Lakers Part 2, but I think it'll look more like Miami's Big 3 first year together.

Based off the NBA.com power rankings (http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/):

Bulls - definitely not overrated and they should be representing the EC as long as DRose is healthy. No easy buckets in the paint against Chi-town.

Blazers - overrated

Wizards - Who did they lose besides Ariza? Raptors fans do not need to be reminded that the Truth is still alive and well so I don't think they're taking any steps back. With Beal poised to take the next step, they're moving in the same direction as us.
    The Southeast is theirs as the Atlantic is ours. I think its fair to call the Raps/Wiz sleepers
    Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
    Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
    Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

ahoang wrote: View Post
      Wizards - Who did they lose besides Ariza? Raptors fans do not need to be reminded that the Truth is still alive and well so I don't think they're taking any steps back. With Beal poised to take the next step, they're moving in the same direction as us.
      Pierce also played the majority of his minutes at power forward last season. He has the strength to contend with other team's PF, but I question his foot speed to keep up with small forwards this year which is exactly what Washington needs him to do this year.

I view it as Washington replaced Ariza with someone who doesn't play the same position, and Ariza was paramount to Washington's defensive success.
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
        Pierce also played the majority of his minutes at power forward last season. He has the strength to contend with other team's PF, but I question his foot speed to keep up with small forwards this year which is exactly what Washington needs him to do this year.

I view it as Washington replaced Ariza with someone who doesn't play the same position, and Ariza was paramount to Washington's defensive success.
        Ariza defended the best perimeter scorer and was a lights out shooter for them

Pierce can't defend SF's and he not a great spot up shooter like Ariza
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Underrated - Knicks.
          Knicks got a floor spacing point guard who can quell the offense.
          This means less isos for JR, Melo etc and more team ball
          They got a new coach who gets respect, so no locker room problems
          The triangle offense might just be what this Knicks team needs, and if JR has any bounceback, Hardaway builds upon his great rookie campaign and Shumpert is worthwhile, Melo can take this team to 6th seed and up easy

Comment

Overrated - Rockets
            They lost Jeremy Lin (their backup PG), Chandler Parsons (their stretch four, 3rd option on offense), Omer Asik (great backup C, could start on many teams).
            Ariza played well in a contract year but his play isnt really sustainable and their bench is really weak
            I dont see them being better than Clips, Spurs, OKC, GSW, Trailblazers for sure.
            Rockets are horribly inconsistent with their Big 2, and this will hurt them in the playoffs

Memphis is argually better than them, Mavs could surprise people, Denver is finally healthy, NOLA is healthy and has chemistry and has a new star in Anthony Davis that could set the league ablaze

Comment

Underrated - Nuggets
              They have all their pieces healthy finally
              All-star caliber Ty Lawson is healthy
              Their bigs rotation is lethal!
              Javale, Mozgov
              Kenneth Faried, JJ Hickson, Darell Arthur

Gallinari could be coming back into form soon but in the meantime, Wilson Chandler is serviceable and isnt that much of a dropoff when he starts.

They are lacking a backup PG (dont trust Nate Robinson)
              But what people are missing is their SGs:

They got Afflalo for scraps, and he was having a all-star consideration season tbh
              Gary Harris can contribute immediately and Randy Foye is great as a backup SG

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                Exactly. As Mack11 noted, the Bulls are talented but have big question marks that could easily drop them from a 1 or 2 seed to a middling seed. I'll believe they can get a full, healthy season out of Rose when I see it, ditto for Pau who's only played more than 65 games once in the last 5 years and may be on the decline.
                Dropping from a top team to middling playoff team is not a huge issue though, in terms of the "overrated" conversation. Thing is, they're still a playoff team, possibly a good one, even without their most talented player.

Can we say the same for any other team in the East? Most of the teams really can't afford the loss of a key player for any longish stretch. For the most obvious example, Charlotte is my choice. Losing Al would maybe be the most devastating injury for any team. He may not be quite as good a player, but him getting hurt would be just as bad or worse as KD or LeBron getting hurt for their teams.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Dropping from a top team to middling playoff team is not a huge issue though, in terms of the "overrated" conversation. Thing is, they're still a playoff team, possibly a good one, even without their most talented player.

Can we say the same for any other team in the East? Most of the teams really can't afford the loss of a key player for any longish stretch. For the most obvious example, Charlotte is my choice. Losing Al would maybe be the most devastating injury for any team. He may not be quite as good a player, but him getting hurt would be just as bad or worse as KD or LeBron getting hurt for their teams.
                  Match ups are more important than seeding.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Match ups are more important than seeding.
                    I agree.

I don't know how that follows up on my post though. Or really how that relates to over/under-rating.

Comment

based on the NBA power rankings cited above

Pacers are overrated @ 13 (5th in the East) although this was probably posted before the George injury.
                      Heat @ 14 (6th in the East) Spolestra's and good coach, but Wade is breaking down, and although Bosh is underrated, we know he can't carry a team by himself. Should make playoffs but the 6th seed and a first round exit is their ceiling.

Rockets are overrated @ 9 (although 7th in the West is probably right). I don't see them getting out of the first round, and despite the talent, I could see them on the outside looking in when the playoff start. Won't get out of the first round.

Hawks are crazy underrated at @ 19 (9th in the East!?!?!?) Hawks are a LOCK for the playoffs. They haven't missed the playoffs in 7 years. It wouldn't surprise me to see them with home court.

Pelicans are underrated @ 20 (11th in the West). Some players are soo good that if you have them you make the playoffs. Anthony Davis is almost certainly that player. I think this might be the year he proves it. I could see them sneaking into the 8th spot in the West.

Overrated: The Western Conference
                      Underrated: The Eastern Conference

This is less true now, because of the George injury, but the Eastern Conference as a whole is closing the Talent gap on the West. If it wasn't for the George injury the 7-8 seeds in the East might have actually had a fighting chance at doing damage in the first round against the 1-2 seeds. Much like how Dallas and Memphis took strong 1&2 seeds to 7 games. Oh well.

My Power Rankings

East Power Rankings
                      Tier 1 (1-2), "Competing for 1st in Conference": Heat/Cavs

2nd Tier (3-5), "Competing for Home court" : Raps/Wiz/Hawks

3rd Tier (6-7), "First round exits": Hornets/Heat

4th Tier (8-11) "Thanks for trying": Pacers/Nets/Knicks/Pistons

5th Tier (12-15) "It's crowed at the bottom": Sixers, Bucks, Magic, Celtics

WEST
                      Tier 1 (1-3), Competing for top seed: Spurs/OKC/Clips

Tier 2 (4-6), Competing for home court: Mavs/Grizz/Warriors

Tier 3, (7) "Should make the playoffs": Blazers

Tier 4, (8-11) "The battle for the last spot": Suns/Pelicans/Nuggets/Rockets

Tier 5, (12-14) "Thanks for trying!": Lakers/Kings/T'Wolves

Tier 6 (15), "It's lonely at the bottom": Jazz
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Underrated: Phoenix Suns

This is the one team that no one is talking about. I feel the Blazers are going to drop, as are the Mavs (Too many old guys and losing Jose will hurt big time) and the Rockets (Losing Lin is like us w/o GV). The Suns may have lost Frye, but Dragic is highly underrated as a PG, and adding Ennis will only help this team grow.

Overrated: Houston Rockets

Harden and D12. Besides those 2 guys, who does this team have? Do you really expect Beverely to take a giant leap forward? I don't think so.

Underrated: Minnesota Timberwolves

Yes, folks. This is my sleeper team of the West. Why? They have a young core all around, and this team may mesh rather quickly. I know that Bennet struggles lat season, but giving him time with Young will strengthen his game. Rubio is a assist machine, and having both Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng running the floor together will give this team a bigger lift than people think. I believe they won the Love trade, not Cleveland.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Boston Celtics are really underrated IMO. Everybody see them in the 12-15 rank, but their team is pretty deep.

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
                          Bradley/Thornton/Bogans
                          Green/Turner/Wallace
                          Sullinger/Bass/Olynyk
                          Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

DOPE TEAM

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                            Boston Celtics are really underrated IMO. Everybody see them in the 12-15 rank, but their team is pretty deep.

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
                            Bradley/Thornton/Bogans
                            Green/Turner/Wallace
                            Sullinger/Bass/Olynyk
                            Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

DOPE TEAM
                            Well, it's largely the same team as last year, where they won 25 games. Don't know if they're being underrated. At best if everything falls into place for them, maybe they compete for the playoffs. I see them as a 25-35 win team.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                              Cavs are totally overrated

Love - no D
                              Irving - no D
                              Waiters - meh
                              Verajao - has he ever played a complete season?
                              Thompson - due to take a step back possibly even not start

Blatt - no NBA coaching experience

also with the exception of Verajao 5 of their 8 main rotation guys have no playoff experience.

People are picking them to win the east...maybe...but come playoff time they will be upset by a hungrier deeper team

All these points are true BUT......they have LeBron

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                I agree.

I don't know how that follows up on my post though. Or really how that relates to over/under-rating.
                                Just a continuation . We really need to be cognizant of playoff positioning when April rolls around. Despite Wizards success last year I still believe we could have beat them in a first round matchup last year. Who you play is more important than the seed you finish in.

Comment

Working...
                                X