Well, well...strike a gong for the small market team environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, well...strike a gong for the small market team environment

This strikes a chord on so many points more so because of the circumstances under which Deron Williams played his way out of Utah and then of course with eyes wide open signed a mega deal with the Nets. Brings a tear to the eye...

From RealGm:

Deron Williams has lived in the New York area since 2011 when he was traded to the then-New Jersey Nets by the Utah Jazz, but he recently expressed being displeased with his life in the area.

"I’m not going to lie. I don’t really feel so much like a New Yorker," said Williams to Resident Magazine. "I grew up in an apartment in Texas where you could send your kids outside like ‘yeah, go play in the sun.’ Here it’s more challenging. The process of getting them into school is a nightmare. Even private schools where you pay are an ordeal. In Utah, you just send your kids to the first public school in the area because they’re all great. Truth is, we enjoy getting away from the hustle and bustle and going back to Utah every summer. It’s a relief to take that timeout. No traffic. No crowds. My daughters still have their friends there. There’s a big backyard. They go to the pool; the playground and they jump on the trampoline. Kids running wild and free here (in New York)…? I don’t think so."

So he made a mistake. He prioritized his career and where he thought he needed to be over other things. Many people are guilty of this. Maybe he goes back to Utah?

You know what, with LeBron going back to Cleveland, Wade sticking it out in Miami and now Deron Williams talking about Utah this way, maybe finally the league is shifting back to appreciating the cities more.

Seriously, in the NFL and NHL you don't run into this bullshit about having to "play in the big market" or chasing the stars. No, guys commit to their teams and typically only leave due to money or personal conduct. Team loyalty, it means so much more in other sports. I wish that were the case in the NBA because it would create a scene where teams that are well managed can actually do well no matter where they are. For the past 15 years half the league really didn't have a good shot at REAL success no matter who was calling the shots.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X