No announcement yet.

Thon Maker might become a Canadian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen Harper doesn't like basketball. Loves hockey.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      Stephen Harper doesn't like basketball. Loves hockey.
      election is coming.. just sayin

Comment

It's a puzzle why Thon would want Canadian citizenship. Maybe it's because Canadians don't pay much attention to FIBA tournaments and he would be able to duck those off season commitments without much notice as a Canuck.
        Again, its not about "becoming Canadian", its about playing High School Basketball in Canada with the chance of being classified as an International Player, which would, I believe, help him get into the L one year sooner.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
          Again, its not about "becoming Canadian", its about playing High School Basketball in Canada with the chance of being classified as an International Player, which would, I believe, help him get into the L one year sooner.
          The CBA defines "international players" as players who permanently resided outside the United States for three years prior to the draft, did not complete high school in the U.S., and have never enrolled at a U.S. college or university.[8]

He's 6 months away from his 18th birthday.

EDIT: oh right.. he was residing in Australia before..
          Last edited by rocwell; Sat Sep 6, 2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
            The CBA defines "international players" as players who permanently resided outside the United States for three years prior to the draft, did not complete high school in the U.S., and have never enrolled at a U.S. college or university.[8]

He's 6 months away from his 18th birthday.

EDIT: oh right.. he was residing in Australia before..
            Thon has been playing in the US up until quite recently.

Comment

I think you're right, it's just about by passing NCAA basketball. The only other benefit is the huge Sudanese population in the gta-Kitchener area.

Comment

Thon has been playing in the US up until quite recently.
                if so, this three years period should reset when he becomes resident of Canada.

Comment

It's the title of the thread "become a Canadian." Noel and Wiggins both reclassified and qualified as NCAA freshmen while attending US prep schools. Thon could have gone the same route in the US. I don't see how it's possible for Thon to enter the NBA draft before 2016.

Comment

how is this kid able to do all that at 7'1? Unreal

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                      I know there small forward, he's a good friend
                      I use to play ball with him like everyday and he's amazing
                      This team with him Marker and Jamal will be a crazy good team, might even give some american teams a challenge
                      Yeah me too, I've played ball with Jamal Murray and Juwan miller so many times. Both are on the team. They are actually crazy good the last time I saw, they will look amazing I know it.
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I don't see why he would need to become a Canadian citizen to play high school ball in Canada but it was first reported that he was looking to become a naturalized Canadian which would possibly make him inelgible to play for the Aussie national team

"Among the options are Hopewell Academy in North Carolina and the Athlete Institute in Ontario. The pair visited both this week. Several reports suggested Maker was leaning towards the latter, with speculation he wants to become a naturalised Canadian to improve his chances of a career in the NBA.

If he chooses to go down that path, he would no longer be eligible for the Boomers."

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                          Yeah me too, I've played ball with Jamal Murray and Juwan miller so many times. Both are on the team. They are actually crazy good the last time I saw, they will look amazing I know it.
                          Is Jamal from Kitchener?

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                            Is Jamal from Kitchener?
                            He sure is!

I see him being a lot like Brandon Roy .. only hopefully not exactly like Brandon Roy...

Comment

He sure is!

I see him being a lot like Brandon Roy .. only hopefully not exactly like Brandon Roy...
                              Holy sh!t I used to play with him in the 4th grade on the Kitchener Vipers! Wow ... good for him. If he's that guy with a very enthusiastic Dad then that is certainly him ... anyways my only memories from playing with him are a) I was tied for the crapiest member on the team b) we won 3rd place in Ontario for our category in 2004 c) I once injured him on a block attempt before a regular season game and his Dad like really wanted to kill me ... he was the teams star though back then.

Juwan Miller also rings a bell, but I'm not sure

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                                Holy sh!t I used to play with him in the 4th grade on the Kitchener Vipers! Wow ... good for him. If he's that guy with a very enthusiastic Dad then that is certainly him ... anyways my only memories from playing with him are a) I was tied for the crapiest member on the team b) we won 3rd place in Ontario for our category in 2004 c) I once injured him on a block attempt before a regular season game and his Dad like really wanted to kill me ... he was the teams star though back then.

Juwan Miller also rings a bell, but I'm not sure
                                I know right! I was shitting bricks when people started telling me he was going to be a future nba prospect. I was like we used to play all the time and now he has a future ball career and my greatest ball accomplishment is coming 2nd in Ontario with the vipers. Haha.

Juwan is like ranked as one of the top point guards in canada. I remember one time, I swished a three in his eye... But then he broke my ankles the next play haha
                                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X