Leiweke spits hot fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joey wrote: View Post
    Not quite his vision, as I understood it.

Its more so to get you to ACC with more money in MLSE's wallet.
    Oh.

Bad Timmy! no!
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

More specifically, his goal is to get you into the ACC for the same money, with the money now going to MLSE and his new company, rather than scalpers and Stubhub.

So if you buy a $55 ticket on the secondary market for $100, MLSE now gets $100 rather than $55 as today.

Comment

One of the articles over the past month claimed there was no non-compete clause.

Who hasn't talked themselves into a year or two of a new thing before coming to terms with the fact that it's not quite the right fit? Also he's evidently been developing this idea on the side for some time, and things may simply have come together sooner than he expected.

I don't think there's always a need to look for conspiracy theories and shady motives. Sometimes it is what it is.

I do agree he's speaking to freely for a guy still under contract and it's no good for the organization. Hopefully he leaves professionally.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
          So if you buy a $55 ticket on the secondary market for $100, MLSE now gets $10 rather than $0 as today.
          Fixed it.

On the secondary market, MLSE makes Zilch. Zero.
          With TimmyTicket.com they would make a percentage for selling TL 100% of their "Secondary Ticket" business.
          Its pretty smart.

Comment

Fixed it.

On the secondary market, MLSE makes Zilch. Zero.
            With TimmyTicket.com they would make a percentage for selling TL 100% of their "Secondary Ticket" business.
            Its pretty smart.
            From the horse's mouth:

The business? Ticketing.

Leiweke believes there’s an opportunity to challenge StubHub on the resale of tickets in major markets (he mentioned New York, Toronto, Chicago and Los Angeles specifically) and plans to work directly with teams to do it. He marvels at the risk-free business-model StubHub has created — risk-free since the company takes a cut of tickets sold through its website as a middleman, but never actually owns any inventory.

“StubHub makes $150 million a year,” said Leiweke. “I think there’s a better StubHub. I admire StubHub. I believe that sometimes the greatest way to build a company is find somebody else’s idea, figure out it’s a really good idea, steal it and then go try to do it better.”

It’s clear that his own planning has gone well beyond the idea stage, with Leiweke acknowledging that he’s already hired some people to work for him.

The way he intends to improve on the StubHub model is by letting the teams in on the business. He is willing to offer $25 million up front to gain control of an organization’s secondary ticket sales and then split any profits once he’s made back that original investment.

“I know sports teams: Most of them do not want to do the heavy lifting, the intellectual work and [spend] the capital that they will have to invest to ultimately go invent that system,” he said. “So if you walk in the door and say ‘I’ve got a big idea for you. I’m going to buy your secondary business for the next 10 years and give you a cheque right now for $25 million … you co-operate, you tie me into your primary ticketing company and you give me full access to your manifest [ticket list] and then I get all of the money and once I recoup then I’ll split with you.

“A lot of teams — a lot of teams — will sit there and go: ‘Here’s the wiring instructions for that.’ They won’t even think twice about it.”

It appears that one exception will be the organization he’s due to leave in 2015.

Leiweke said that Leafs season tickets will be delivered electronically starting on Jan. 1, which allows the company to control how they can be transferred. When one of those tickets is sold on the secondary market, MLSE will oversee the transaction and “give the money back to the person selling the ticket for the original face value and then we’ll keep the upside,” according to Leiweke.
            http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...-mlse-stubhub/

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              One of the articles over the past month claimed there was no non-compete clause.
              Who hasn't talked themselves into a year or two of a new thing before coming to terms with the fact that it's not quite the right fit? Also he's evidently been developing this idea on the side for some time, and things may simply have come together sooner than he expected.

I don't think there's always a need to look for conspiracy theories and shady motives. Sometimes it is what it is.

I do agree he's speaking to freely for a guy still under contract and it's no good for the organization. Hopefully he leaves professionally.
              Leiweke denies it, but there have been some articles that say he DOES have a "US-only" non-compete AND a bonus for staying exactly 2 years. So, I guess by working in Canada he could say that without outright lying. Obviously, only insiders know the truth, but it would explain a lot of what's going down actually, and how he wound up in Canada & MLSE in the first place.

From Sportsnet article (Michael Grange)....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...kes-departure/

"....He has a seven-figure retention bonus if he stays at least two years – a period of time that matches what I’ve been told is a two-year US-based non-compete clause that AEG saddled him with after he left the massive LA-based sports and entertainment conglomerate. Leiweke denied to me that he had a non-compete clause."
              Last edited by golden; Wed Sep 17, 2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                Leiweke denies it, but there have been some articles that say he DOES have a "US-only" non-compete AND a bonus for staying exactly 2 years. So, I guess by working in Canada he could say that without outright lying. Obviously, only insiders know the truth, but it would explain a lot of what's going down actually, and how he wound up in Canada & MLSE in the first place.

From Sportsnet article (Michael Grange)....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...kes-departure/

"....He has a seven-figure retention bonus if he stays at least two years – a period of time that matches what I’ve been told is a two-year US-based non-compete clause that AEG saddled him with after he left the massive LA-based sports and entertainment conglomerate. Leiweke denied to me that he had a non-compete clause."
                I know, but it doesn't totally add up for me.

At the moment you've got Grange's unnamed source saying there's a non-compete clause, and TL saying there isn't. One of them is wrong and it could just as well be either.

But most sources, including Grange's, are saying they don't expect TL to last the year and that he'll be out of MLSE before his first two years is up, in spite of having a 7 figure retention bonus kick in after 2 years on the job (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...kes-departure/) and this rumoured non-compete clause.

I don't see how him starting up timmytickets.com would violate a non-compete clause with AEG. His plan is actually to put more money in the pockets of franchise owners, not less. How is he a competitor?

Our info is really limited and I'm no expert on the issue, but suggesting that he moved to another country for two years to take a job he doesn't really want because of a non-compete clause, then having the same articles suggesting he won't even last the two years anyway...we're jumping some hoops here to cook up a conspiracy.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  The "I want to start my own business" bit has a lot more impact coming directly from TL - you can feel how passionate he is about it. It makes sense, given his personality, and he's right that at 57 a guy only has a few good years left in terms of giving your career 100%.

It's mostly just too bad MLSE only got him at the tail-end of this phase of his career. I really think a few more years of TL would have dramatically changed MLSE.

The most troubling point here is not him leaving, though, it's hearing about the Bell/Rogers boardroom dynamics as an issue again. Why can't MLSE just have a straightforward ownership situation...
                  Too many suits. We need ONE owner period.

Comment

Happiness IS just a Flaming Moe away!

*Its amazing what you can find on the internet these days!
                    Joey, how do you add a .gif to a message?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Joey, how do you add a .gif to a message?
                      Same as adding a photo.

Comment

Testing

Edit: Success!

Comment

Lol good to have Nilanka back after the offseason hiatus.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            Lol good to have Nilanka back after the offseason hiatus.
                            Lol, off season hiatus was forced on me. 2nd kid was born in July

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Lol, off season hiatus was forced on me. 2nd kid was born in July
                              Congrats / good luck

Didn't miss much anyway
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                Congrats / good luck

Didn't miss much anyway
                                Thanks man. I understand that congrats are in order for you as well?

I made it back just in time for the Steimsma annoucement. Wouldn't have missed that for the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X