PED's in NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PED's in NBA

I'm doing an exercise science project on Performance enhancing drugs. One of the sports i'm using as an example is of course basketball. I pretty much already know what i'm going to talk about but i wanted to know what some of you guys think about PED's in the NBA, how the league deals with them, and some of the worst offences in throughout NBA history. I think its a really interesting topic that we don't talk about much in relation to the NBA

To be honest I dont know too much about the process in the NBA but in light of Davis of the Orioles being suspended to day for 25 games for amphetamine use I was surprised to find that many if not all the major sports drug use policies seem to treat amphethamines differently from say steroids though both classes of drugs are ostensibly PEDs. In MLB you get a pass on the first positive test for amphetamines, 25 games on the second and 80 on the third. I think it's 50 for steroids on the first and a season (?) on the second etc. This differentiation may well exist in the NBA too...just thought the distinction without a difference was curious. I found the following link that might further help with your info search ....

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...a-drug-testing

Comment

Hedo Turkoglu. All those roids.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        To be honest I dont know too much about the process in the NBA but in light of Davis of the Orioles being suspended to day for 25 games for amphetamine use I was surprised to find that many if not all the major sports drug use policies seem to treat amphethamines differently from say steroids though both classes of drugs are ostensibly PEDs. In MLB you get a pass on the first positive test for amphetamines, 25 games on the second and 80 on the third. I think it's 50 for steroids on the first and a season (?) on the second etc. This differentiation may well exist in the NBA too...just thought the distinction without a difference was curious. I found the following link that might further help with your info search ....

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...a-drug-testing
        I already found that link myself, but thanks anyway. I was wondering if i should talk about the NBA in the 70's and 80's cause i remember hearing that they used to have a lot of drug problems. would that be a good idea?

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Hedo Turkoglu. All those roids.
          Yea i'm using him as my main example. He was the first player that popped in my head when i thought of recent offences

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            I'm doing an exercise science project on Performance enhancing drugs. One of the sports i'm using as an example is of course basketball. I pretty much already know what i'm going to talk about but i wanted to know what some of you guys think about PED's in the NBA, how the league deals with them, and some of the worst offences in throughout NBA history. I think its a really interesting topic that we don't talk about much in relation to the NBA
            Rashard Lewis. His career nose-dived after he was caught.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Rashard Lewis. His career nose-dived after he was caught.
              I read about that but it didn't seem like he took anything intentionally. He took an over the counter medication that happened to contain a banned substance. It was just bad luck on his part

Comment

I read about that but it didn't seem like he took anything intentionally. He took an over the counter medication that happened to contain a banned substance. It was just bad luck on his part
                I guess that's the official story, but when you look at his career numbers, it makes you wonder a little bit.
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I guess that's the official story, but when you look at his career numbers, it makes you wonder a little bit.
                  I think it has more to do with the system in Orlando maximizing his skill set

Comment

I already found that link myself, but thanks anyway. I was wondering if i should talk about the NBA in the 70's and 80's cause i remember hearing that they used to have a lot of drug problems. would that be a good idea?
                    Here's another one... http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...rely-adequate/

To do a comparison of then & now (a good idea) I would think you need to have the policy in force at that time and make comparisons. That would take some digging. I think the better way to go is to point to the flaws existing in the test process which really makes it laughable....like, they only have urine tests and not blood ones (some Peds are only detectable thru blood work). Then as mentioned before classifying amphetamines in the substance section rather than a ped. Finally, I find it incredible that not one of the major leagues have outsourced drug testing to a private enterprise (this is such an American process) to avoid conflict and impartiality nevermind could be cheaper. I am afraid I am a bit pessimistic about intent of enforcement when we are talking big business and a rash of drug failure disclosures if made would obviously negatively impact public confidence/hence the business.

Comment

I think it has more to do with the system in Orlando maximizing his skill set
                      Right, but that maximization conveniently happened to stop after he was caught with the 'over the counter medicine'.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I think athletes in pro sports should use whatever they want. We want um to be all superstar and superhero 82 games a year, then playoffs..... but scoff if they use drugs to repair their bodies faster, fack that

Comment

Right, but that maximization conveniently happened to stop after he was caught with the 'over the counter medicine'.
                          Then he left Orlando and he was never the same player. Could have been the suspension or it could just be another case of a player having one good season and then falling back down to his norm.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            I think athletes in pro sports should use whatever they want. We want um to be all superstar and superhero 82 games a year, then playoffs..... but scoff if they use drugs to repair their bodies faster, fack that
                            Cause its cheating and its probably not good for their bodies either lol

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Here's another one... http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...rely-adequate/

To do a comparison of then & now (a good idea) I would think you need to have the policy in force at that time and make comparisons. That would take some digging. I think the better way to go is to point to the flaws existing in the test process which really makes it laughable....like, they only have urine tests and not blood ones (some Peds are only detectable thru blood work). Then as mentioned before classifying amphetamines in the substance section rather than a ped. Finally, I find it incredible that not one of the major leagues have outsourced drug testing to a private enterprise (this is such an American process) to avoid conflict and impartiality nevermind could be cheaper. I am afraid I am a bit pessimistic about intent of enforcement when we are talking big business and a rash of drug failure disclosures if made would obviously negatively impact public confidence/hence the business.
                              Hmm yea i was thinking of that but I only really have a few mins to say all this, can't spend all my time on just basketball haha. But i'll try to fit it in if i can. The test process really is pretty bad tho, can't believe they don't do blood tests

Comment

Working...
                              X