JV comparable big man production in the modern NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    One does not have to be an expert at a thing to criticize it or people who do it. I don't need to be an expert carpenter to see that the contractor I hired to renovate my basement left a hole in the wall. I don't need to direct Raiders of Lost Ark to know that Superman Returns sucks. Why do you always resort to this circumstantial ad hominem? Now, not everyone's opinion is as valid as everyone else's surely. But that's not much of an insight is it?

And how dare you criticize JV for not shooting 10-12 footers and freezing like a deer in the headlights? I'd pay good money to see you get out on the court and make quicker decisions than JV. Good luck.
    Haha, I love this. Pretty much all water cooler talk is now off limits.

Thought you had an opinion about that restaurant you ate at? Shut up, you're not a professional chef. Wanna talk Game of Thrones? Shut up, you're not a producer or an actor. Been having trouble with your car and thinking of developing an opinion about it? Shut up, you're not an engineer, mechanic, or professional driver. Thinking about talking about the greens on the course you played Saturday? Shut up, you're not on the PGA. Have an opinion about politics? Shut up, you're not a politician.

Any pro can talk circles around any layman in any field. Such a weird criticism of armchair quarterbacking - important to keep things in perspective for sure, but a weird way to shut down a conversation.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Thought you had an opinion about that restaurant you ate at? Shut up, you're not a professional chef. Wanna talk Game of Thrones? Shut up, you're not a producer or an actor. Been having trouble with your car and thinking of developing an opinion about it? Shut up, you're not an engineer, mechanic, or professional driver. Thinking about talking about the greens on the course you played Saturday? Shut up, you're not on the PGA. Have an opinion about politics? Shut up, you're not a politician.

Any pro can talk circles around any layman in any field. Such a weird criticism of armchair quarterbacking - important to keep things in perspective for sure, but a weird way to shut down a conversation.
      Wait... You mean people can have unique ideas without simply falling in line with directive from the hive brain?

Comment

• distorsun wrote: View Post
        POP QUIZ:
        Name me ONE or more things the Raps do well DEFENSIVELY ?
        Effort? This is a team of bad defensive players, it's tough to do too much well.
        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Anyone remember Rick Smits? I can see JV putting those sorts of numbers up, but better defensivley....so yeah, my comparison is a better defensive Rick Smits.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Anyone remember Rick Smits? I can see JV putting those sorts of numbers up, but better defensivley....so yeah, my comparison is a better defensive Rick Smits.
            Rick Smits had way better hair.

Comment

Anyone remember Rick Smits? I can see JV putting those sorts of numbers up, but better defensivley....so yeah, my comparison is a better defensive Rick Smits.
              Rick Smits was a terrible rebounder, he only averaged 6.1rebs in his career. JV on the other hand is a very good rebounder
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

really don't see that comparison at all to be honest

Comment

• distorsun wrote: View Post
                  POP QUIZ:
                  Name me ONE or more things the Raps do well DEFENSIVELY ?
                  Scramble, they scramble well

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                    Effort? This is a team of bad defensive players, it's tough to do too much well.
                    I hate this line about us having bad defensive players, it's such a cop out. Look at how much better Curry has gotten on defense this year versus the rest of his career. He had a DRtg of 111 and 112 his first two years and has a DRtg of 101 now, which is very good. How in the world did this bad defender all of a sudden become a great defender? Coaching, that's how. Saying we suck at defense because of the players is a complete cop out when the blame lay at Casey's feet. Steve Kerr doesn't ask Curry to do things he can't do, he has him focus on the things he can do. Our brilliant coach just tries to force every square peg into a round hole and can't figure out why the hell it won't fit.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      I hate this line about us having bad defensive players, it's such a cop out. Look at how much better Curry has gotten on defense this year versus the rest of his career. He had a DRtg of 111 and 112 his first two years and has a DRtg of 101 now, which is very good. How in the world did this bad defender all of a sudden become a great defender? Coaching, that's how. Saying we suck at defense because of the players is a complete cop out when the blame lay at Casey's feet. Steve Kerr doesn't ask Curry to do things he can't do, he has him focus on the things he can do. Our brilliant coach just tries to force every square peg into a round hole and can't figure out why the hell it won't fit.
                      Maybe you read this, but it's a great piece: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...light-defender

This bit stands out:
                      "So two weeks after his hire, Kerr spoke to Curry over lunch in the Bay Area and explained that the team's practice of hiding their top scorer on defense was over.

Curry would have to D up.

It wasn't exactly a hard sell. "He wants to be challenged," Kerr frequently said of his superstar. It's something Steph's father, Dell, had told Kerr over the summer, and it's something Kerr keeps coming back to when discussing his point guard's growth.

And to the surprise of many, it has more than worked. Thanks to some clever new defensive principles, and despite his spindly frame, Curry has blossomed to become one of the NBA's most effective defenders -- ranking fifth among point guards in defensive real plus-minus. According to Synergy Sports, the opponents he guards have shot just 36.8 percent on the season. He's averaging a career high in steals and a career low in fouls."

Comment

• At this point, the OP comparison of Horford / Bogut still seem to fit the best. But then again, I wrote the OP, so I might be bias
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          At this point, the OP comparison of Horford / Bogut still seem to fit the best. But then again, I wrote the OP, so I might be bias
                          I can see him having a similar game and impact as a few of his countrymen - Sabonis and Ilgauskas, though I don't think he has the court vision that Sabonis had. 15/10 with 1.5 blocks per game.

Comment

Scenario: you are not a doctor. You wake up from a surgery to remove an ingrown toenail. You no longer have arms. Your ingrown toenail is still there.

Do you have a right to criticize the doctor?
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

You're not a chef, therefore you can't have an opinion on what tastes good or bad.
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

If the rest of us have no right to discuss and critique coaching because we're not professional coaches, then you have no right to discuss and critique Jonas' play because you're not an NBA basketball player. Let's try it this way:
                                DanH wrote: View Post
                                Scenario: you are not a doctor. You wake up from a surgery to remove an ingrown toenail. You no longer have arms. Your ingrown toenail is still there.

Do you have a right to criticize the doctor?
                                hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                                You're not a chef, therefore you can't have an opinion on what tastes good or bad.
                                You're not a superjudge, therefore you cannot criticize one's judgement on others. Does his name mean nothing to you people?

Comment

Working...
                                X