New Website Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgar wrote: View Post
    Will you be reimbursing users for worn out scroll wheels? Lol Not a big fan - looks like it should be a mobile site...
    Completely agree with this. The site looks "cleaner", but is actually poorer for me.

The old layout needed to be cleaned up, but was awesome for surfing. You could access the latest RR article(s), podcast, rap of the day, some recent forum threads, articles from around the web....all easily accessible without having to look around much at all.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
      To elaborate further, we're still using an older version of vBulletin. I've read alot about the newer version and there still seems to be alot of bugs. So until those issues are addresses, we'll stand pat. But eventually the forums will get another makeover.
      I see, but at least change the banner, like DanH mentioned. I like how this looks, but other forums I'm on do look a lot better, such as boards.sportslogos.net (great for sports and logo needs.)
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
        I see, but at least change the banner, like DanH mentioned. I like how this looks, but other forums I'm on do look a lot better, such as boards.sportslogos.net (great for sports and logo needs.)
        To each their own. I personally think the site you provided as an example is ugly, but at the end of the day people generally don't come here (or go there) for the pretty colours and layouts. Perhaps I'm naive in assuming that, but we will try and at least be consistent on both the main page as well the forums.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Always great to hear.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, very valuable and thank you for taking the time out to provide it.

Copywryter wrote: View Post
          What's up the the font used for the logo? Is this an old-timey basketball saloon for weathered old coots?

Seriously. Baskerville?
          I'll fix this at some point and go back to the older font.

GoingBig wrote: View Post
          Any way we can show the # of comments in each main article and put-back? I drop by several times per day for new comments.
          Just added this to the latest posts section, so you should be all good.

Edgar wrote: View Post
          Will you be reimbursing users for worn out scroll wheels? Lol Not a big fan - looks like it should be a mobile site...
          There's less scrolling in this version, not more. You can see all the latest posts in one sidebar on the left, rather than hunt for what's new in the Put Backs and main section of the older site. The font size is imagery is also smaller so you'll basically see most of what's new above the fold of the page.

Cody73 wrote: View Post
          Why has the forum been left alone? if the site gets upgraded, so should the forum.
          The actual vBulletin upgrade won't happen for a while since vBulletin 5 has a LOT of issues right now. It's simply not mature enough to be adopted just yet. The logo on the forum will be changed/made smaller, and I'm right now debating whether to change anything about the layout. Leaning towards not, unless someone can point out specific things that need fixing.

Comment

Just don't change the mobile version of this website. One of the main reasons I joined this forum is because the mobile version is easy and quick to navigate and I don't have to zoom in to see the text
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Completely agree with this. The site looks "cleaner", but is actually poorer for me.

The old layout needed to be cleaned up, but was awesome for surfing. You could access the latest RR article(s), podcast, rap of the day, some recent forum threads, articles from around the web....all easily accessible without having to look around much at all.
              Everything you mentioned is still there. Name one thing that's not.

Comment

I think it looks good - now that the comments are there, I see nothing missing.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm not gonna nitpick because I really appreciate the effort of the RR folks who have a passion for Raptors basketball and put in tons of their own free time to make this great experience for all of us. **slow clap**

That said, there are a few tweaks here and there, I could suggest. My first impression is that the front page is too cluttered and repetitive. For example "Crowdsourcing Amir..." is repeated 3 times in 3 different sections. So is "Economy of Movement". I'm no GUI/usability expert, but personally I'd prefer a topic to be just shown once, with maybe a tag or ICON beside it indicating what it is. The beauty of the original Google search engine vs. Yahoo was the complete lack of clutter, so the suggestion here is along the lines of "less is more". You could then fill in the re-claimed space with graphics or other visuals to the appropriate amount.

Other than that, just keep on doin' whatchaz do.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    Everything you mentioned is still there. Name one thing that's not.
                    You just have to scroll a lot more. And that's mostly because the photos used to headline the stories are really really big, kinda unnecessarily so I think.

Look, I don't really care and I'm not really trying to be negative. The new site looks better, but the old one was better for functionality. It's nice to scroll/click the least amount possible to get where you want. Does this just make me lazy? Possibly, but I still think it was better for finding things you want as quickly as possible is all I'm saying.

Comment

If you want positive feedback, the actual story pages are WAAAAAAY better. The ad placement is a lot less annoying than it used to often be. And everything about the look, from the pic use to the font is a lot cleaner. And unlike my issues with the frontpage, it's great to not have the story cluttered by all the links that used to be on the side.

Comment

There's less scrolling in this version, not more. You can see all the latest posts in one sidebar on the left, rather than hunt for what's new in the Put Backs and main section of the older site. The font size is imagery is also smaller so you'll basically see most of what's new above the fold of the page.
                        That's not what I see. I get no sidebar at all, just gigantic photos that must be scrolled down through until I finally see some headlines and links. (I'm using Firefox 32.0.1 with Windows 7. )

I am no fan of the latest trend in Websites using lots of backdrop photos. Functionality is more important. I visit sites for information, not scenery. I like menus and links above the fold on the top page. The old RR design was fine. The new one seems gratuitously opaque to me. I can access the hidden dropdown menu above the fold, but then would need to click on each section and return to the top page to look for new content - or else do a lot of scrolling down through photos that are actually bigger than my screen.

Maybe the results are different on different browsers. Wait a minute - it's true. The site looks much better when I use Chrome to view it. I can see some actual layout! And it looks very nice. I hope you can make it work the same for all browsers.

Comment

I'm right now debating whether to change anything about the layout. Leaning towards not, unless someone can point out specific things that need fixing.
                          It would be nice if the theme on this forum was "fluid." I'd like it to stretch to the edges of my screen...instead of having 5" grey bars on each side. That's a LOT of wasted space.

Comment

Snizzoop wrote: View Post
                            It would be nice if the theme on this forum was "fluid." I'd like it to stretch to the edges of my screen...instead of having 5" grey bars on each side. That's a LOT of wasted space.
                            It would also be nice to have the menu bar be at one side of the screen and be 'responsive'.
                            When I'm on a mobile, it's good to have the menu be hidden and pop down from the top.
                            When I'm on a desktop, I have the real estate to see the menu all the time.

Comment

The new layout makes me feel old. My eyes are still crossed. I'm increasingly convinced that everyone under 30 now has ADD.

Jokes aside, I appreciate that massive amount of work you guys put into this site - thank you.

I do honestly find the new layout cluttered and confusing, even though the intent is the opposite. Just my 2 cents in the name of sincere feedback.

Thanks again.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Ahh - seems like a resolution compatibility/browser issue - Running a weird vertical monitor setup at work (don't ask) that maxes out at 1050 pixels wide and a over-sized resolution at home (2560x1600) both on chrome. Most sites/apps are optimized for the old 1024 or 1280 pixel wide standard but can stretch and contort quite a bit to adopt the massive amount of resolution sizes.

Quick workaround fix - Ctrl + scroll down to change magnification size in your browser. Hopefully the developers will iron out some of these minor bugs...
                                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                                X