Indiana: This is what denial looks like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana: This is what denial looks like

Now, first off, I realize the coach can't exactly come out and say "we're completely fucked and we'll be lucky if our perimeter play isn't the worst in the league", but this article made me laugh.

We’re going to be fine,” Vogel said. “We’ve got more than enough to compete with the best and we’re going to have another great season. Our approach is, we’re going to try to not skip a beat.”

Vogel’s fingers were not crossed. There was no whiff of rum in the room, and he wasn’t talking in Comic Sans.

He continued: “Two guys being gone – Lance being gone, Paul not being with us because of injury – creates opportunities for other guys. Both at that position and also at other positions to carry a bigger role.”

Ah, OK, so maybe it was the whole interview thing. So you switched off the recorder, looked the Pacers coach in the eye and said, now Frank, how do you really feel?

“I really feel that way,” Vogel said. “I think we’re going to be OK.”

---

George and Stephenson, the team’s dynamic two-way wings, generated an outsized portion of that attack. They combined for 45.5 points and 28.2 shots per game, which was 47 percent of Indiana’s scoring and 35 percent of its field-goal attempts. (This is what other guys have to replace)

George would have been a starter for Team USA in its gold medal-winning effort in the FIBA World Cup tournament. Stephenson would have been a worthy NBA All-Star reserve in February and was expected to remedy that miss this season. Together, the two Pacers were the likeliest sources for some Indiana improvement offensively, while pestering opponents like Dobermans defensively.

Into the breach step retreads Rodney Stuckey and C.J. Miles.

“Those guys are solid NBA veterans,” Vogel said. “It’s not like we’re going to fill the spots with guys who were in the D League last year. And we feel [2013 first-rounder] Solomon Hill is going to be an elite defensive player and a guy who can knock down open shots. We could have played him 25 minutes a game last year and we would have been all right. We just had such depth.

Chris Copeland is going to get a chance to play more. Damjan Rudez, one of the best shooters in Europe, is coming over to play at the ‘three’ or the ‘four.’ So we’ve got answers. You look at that, combined with our point guard rotation’s intact with George Hill and C.J. Watson, our big rotation’s intact with [Luis] Scola, [Roy] Hibbert and [Ian] Mahinmi. There are reasons to be optimistic.”
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...40922_32076736

Just kind of hilarious. They lost a big chunk of their O and nearly all their perimeter production, including passing as they don't have great PG play in that respect, but they'll be fine.....

I'm not sure if Miles, Stuckey, Copeland and Rudez could replace one of George/Stephenson, nevermind adequately filling in for both.

When Indiana s 11-32 at the allstar break and can't score more then 85pts, maybe Vogel starts to realize this team is terrible
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I predict that Roy "I model my game after Tim Duncan" Hibbert will pick a huge chunk of the offense ths season, a true allstar LOL

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Now, first off, I realize the coach can't exactly come out and say "we're completely fucked and we'll be lucky if our perimeter play isn't the worst in the league", but this article made me laugh.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...40922_32076736

Just kind of hilarious. They lost a big chunk of their O and nearly all their perimeter production, including passing as they don't have great PG play in that respect, but they'll be fine.....

I'm not sure if Miles, Stuckey, Copeland and Rudez could replace one of George/Stephenson, nevermind adequately filling in for both.
        LOL - So true.

But really, what is he going to say?

Sucks to be the Pacers. They did it what many posters would call "the right way" or with "respect for the game" or something along those lines. Just goes to show how fragile any team can be and success from one season to the next is never a guarantee.

Comment

to me the biggest shock is how Paul George has evolved into a completely unlikable dude the last year or so
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            LOL - So true.

But really, what is he going to say?

Sucks to be the Pacers. They did it what many posters would call "the right way" or with "respect for the game" or something along those lines. Just goes to show how fragile any team can be and success from one season to the next is never a guarantee.
            Remember when Rob Babcock said something along the lines of "We're likely going to suck this year" ... ya that was funny.

Comment

They weren't going anywhere with that roster, maybe having Paul George coming down with injury is a blessing in disguise where they could go back to the lottery and pick up a good player as well as unload David West contract to some desperate team (for some young talent) come playoffs time.

Comment

Not that I care about the Pacers but I was scratching my head as to why they wouldn't pay Lance. Now without George they're really fu*ked.

Comment

I just learned that in Indiana its illegal for anyone to serve Cold Beer, except for the Liquor Stores. Which aren't open on Sundays. And if it is Cold, they charge more!

Comment

Pacers probably had the worst offseason in the league.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                      Pacers probably had the worst offseason in the league.
                      Houston was kinda bad as well.

Comment

Vogel's a fighter. He's like Carlisle or Pop or Thibs. He'll make something out of this mess, maybe 25 or 30 wins, but they really should just strip that team for parts and do a mini-tank for one year before reloading with George, who's still young.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Houston was kinda bad as well.
                          Ya, but Pacers lost two starters, one young and improving SG, and one star SF.
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Paul george is coming back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                              Paul george is coming back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              when? Next year?

Comment

Working...
                              X