Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenneth Faried - Old rumour, sketchy source gets a pass as we await training camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenneth Faried - Old rumour, sketchy source gets a pass as we await training camp

I recall this conversation elsewhere but couldn't find it - granted I didn't look too hard.

As title says, the source is sketchy at best as it is Alex Kennedy's at BasketballInsiders.com chat:

Vince Bosh

Should the raptors go after Kenneth Faried? If not him, who?

Alex Kennedy

Last season before the trade deadline, I reported that the Raptors had contacted the Nuggets about a Kenneth Faried trade. This came from a league source, and I was told that Masai Ujiri was interested in acquiring Faried since he is the one who drafted him.

With that said, I don’t know if Denver will be willing to move Faried. I think he has shown significant progress since then (and looked excellent with Team USA), so they may decide to hold onto him. Yes, that will mean that they have to give him a big payday, but I think he has shown that he’s worth it.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ch...kennedy-91714/

Personally, I don't see the point in making the trade if you're giving up any meaningful assets when you might have a shot this summer in free agency. Given Denver's cap situation, I don't see a contract getting hammered out between Denver and Faried.

What would you give up for Faried?

Personally, I don't see him as a piece to push the Raptors over the top. I wonder if taking on McGee in exchange for expiring contracts of Fields/Hansbrough/Hayes, Amir, and the worse of the 2016 picks would get it done? Probably not. I'd rather gamble in FA.

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I recall this conversation elsewhere but couldn't find it - granted I didn't look too hard.

As title says, the source is sketchy at best as it is Alex Kennedy's at BasketballInsiders.com chat:

Personally, I don't see the point in making the trade if you're giving up any meaningful assets when you might have a shot this summer in free agency. Given Denver's cap situation, I don't see a contract getting hammered out between Denver and Faried.

What would you give up for Faried?

Personally, I don't see him as a piece to push the Raptors over the top. I wonder if taking on McGee in exchange for expiring contracts of Fields/Hansbrough/Hayes, Amir, and the worse of the 2016 picks would get it done? Probably not. I'd rather gamble in FA.
    Bold answer: nothing. I agree that it just makes more sense at this point to wait it out and go after him in free agency if that's the plan. (all this obviously with the caveat that I mean within the realm of reason. If Denver called us tomorrow offering Faried for Tyler Hansbrough and a 2nd rd pick, I'd be all over that)

I don't know if Faried is a "missing piece" on our roster, but either way, I'd keep my answer the same. I suspect if Masai had interest last season he was trying to "buy low" as early last season there were enough issues in Denver and with the use of Faried that maybe there was at least almost a real trade window to get him. Personally I don't think he's a great fit, and even going after him in free agency, not sure he'll be worth the price as it could get very steep.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Bold answer: nothing. I agree that it just makes more sense at this point to wait it out and go after him in free agency if that's the plan. (all this obviously with the caveat that I mean within the realm of reason. If Denver called us tomorrow offering Faried for Tyler Hansbrough and a 2nd rd pick, I'd be all over that)

I don't know if Faried is a "missing piece" on our roster, but either way, I'd keep my answer the same. I suspect if Masai had interest last season he was trying to "buy low" as early last season there were enough issues in Denver and with the use of Faried that maybe there was at least almost a real trade window to get him. Personally I don't think he's a great fit, and even going after him in free agency, not sure he'll be worth the price as it could get very steep.
      I think he is a good fit if you're letting Amir walk.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I think he is a good fit if you're letting Amir walk.
        Is he though? As much as we cringe at Amir's form when he shoots, he is fairly efficient as a shooter. Faried doesn't really have any range, and his post game has gotten better, but doesn't project to be anything spectacular...and he also doesn't stand out as a passer. Offensively it would be an odd fit with JV...though neither would get doubled with bigs down low for fear of what they could do on the offensive glass if unchecked, so there's at least one obvious positive.

Defensively he's still gotta improve a bit team-wise, but don't think that's impossible or anything. On that end he could be an amazing fit. But that's the thing, it could be so different on each end in terms of results.

Comment

I just came across this rumour on some 2nd rate site today, too.

I think Faried's stock is about to go too high. He looked really good at FIBA playing against generally undersized and overmatched competition. He's a nice player in the NBA, but he's got some pretty severe limitations and I've got a feeling he's about to be overpaid.

For the Raps to take the next step re: roster building, they need to acquire talent a full tier above a guy like Faried.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

did you just quote a guy called Vince Bosh?
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Faried doesn't move the needle. Id rather have Amir
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I wouldn't give up anything for Faried. Between the likes of Amir, Patterson, and Hansbrough, the Raptors have power forwards that can bring interior scoring, floor stretching ability, and physical grit. All three Power Forwards on the Raptors' roster play solid defence.

Faried is young, has a high motor, runs the floor, and plays the boards well (8.6 per game last season) whilst averaging 27 mpg. He hit the boards better than Amir and Patterson, but like white men mentioned, he does not bring any offensive repertoire that justifies having him at the 4 spot versus Amir or Patterson (other than crashing the offensive glass with more apparent vigour.)

With JV slated to take a step forward next year, the ideal player to pair with him in the front court would be someone who can stretch the floor whilst also taking stride in his defensive coverages. I am content with Amir and Patt sharing the bulk of the minutes because both players compliment JV well. More importantly, having such depth is more essential for the whole season. The Raptors were lucky injury-wise, and to have such luck again would be like thinking Bruno will be an all star next season.

Mcgee for the right price is something I would go for. Im curious to see how Bebe and Stiemsma perform this season though.
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Buy low, sell high. Not a good time to make a run at Faried.

Comment

we have enough assets to get faried i wanted to draft him....

Comment

I like Farried. His "elite" skill is his motor, which has potential to increase the intensity in the locker room. Yes, his game has holes, but to me, he seems like a net positive player.

Having said that, I don't want to give up assets to nab him. I have no problem waiting until free agency. Our 4-spot seems pretty solid with Amir and Patterson.

Comment

I enjoyed ross's dunk on Farried. I think the Raptors should wait until free agency and access then.

Comment

I'm a big Faried fan and would be all for trading for him, though i'm not sure what we'd have to give up in return.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I would certainly prefer to overpay for him in terms of salary rather than give up assets to get him in trade (and then have to overpay to match any offers for him in RFA).

He's near the top of my list for how to use the abundance of cap room we will have over the next couple summers.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think Paul Milsap would be a better fit for the Raptors. He is a UFA after the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X