Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowry feature on Grantland

You Can Count on Me: Kyle Lowry's career-long search for trust

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Raps get more than their fair share of media coverage on Grantland.

Really enjoyed the article and i'd post quotes but I think most people would rather read it in it's entirety.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

you just beat me to it. Dog days of the basketball year...just decided to flip on Grantland to see what's up...and there's our guy! It's coming.

Comment

Great piece. Had fun waking up to this.

Comment

It's normally just Zach Lowe doing most of the Raptor 'mentioning' on Grantland. But the wealth seems to be spreading...

Comment

Fantastic piece.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Great read!
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              It's normally just Zach Lowe doing most of the Raptor 'mentioning' on Grantland. But the wealth seems to be spreading...
              Lowe is probably responsible for 80% of the Raptors content, but even that other 20% is more than what we get on most other American sites.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I think he's mentioned his girlfriend is from Toronto, right? Regardless, he's just good at balanced, league-wide coverage - no big market bias.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Lowry’s philosophy on the court is simple: “If you come to [a] game and you’re bringing your son — he might have never seen a basketball game — and you guys are sitting in the nosebleeds, I want your son to say, ‘Whoever no. 7 is played his hardest.’ Every single time. And he might have only seen me one time, but that one time he seen me, I’m going to play like it’s my last.”

From OP's article. Love it!!!
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

“Why not us?” Lowry asks. “Why not go out there and play your butt off every night? Just give it your all. You can’t worry if you look cool playing basketball. A cool basketball player is a garbage basketball player. Tony [Parker] ain’t the coolest, smoothest guy, but Tony gets it done. Timmy [Duncan] ain’t. Manu [Ginobili] is pretty cool. But he plays hard as hell by being cool. He ain’t being cool on purpose. He just got a cool game.”

I found this funny.

Comment

His exactly what this team needed from the PG position. Perfect player too lead this team. When it's all said and done I think Kyle Lowry will be the best PG in raptor history. Best trade BC ever made!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

That was a great read

Comment

You gotta love those kind of articles! I wish there was something like that for every Raptor player.

Very insightful and makes me appreciate Kyle's unique personality a little more.

Comment

Just got to love Lowry. He is what he is...but the beauty of it is that he is an evolving player, with smarts, ability and (a controllable) attitude.
                            Last edited by Puffer; Wed Sep 24, 2014, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Probably my favourite sports article that I have ever read in my life. I honestly don't know how you can come out of reading that and not love Lowry (especially given that, if the article is anything to go by, he also seems to be a Simpsons fan).

Even more noteworthy, I don't see how anyone can come out of reading that and still think his performance last season was due to it being a contract year. I honestly think that, when its all said and done, he's going to go down as one of the greatest Raptors of all time. He's already had the third greatest individual season in Raptors history last season so its not even that large of a stretch.

Did anyone else love Colangelo taking credit for Lowry in the same breath that it was mentioned that he was being brought on to back up Steve Nash?

One of my favourite paragraphs in the whole thing:
                              In the playoffs the previous spring, Toronto had felt the same way. The Raptors were growing, getting better, and it was Lowry’s team. He re-signed in Toronto for $48 million over four years. Marie Holloway understood her son’s decision: “How can you not want to go back to a city that showed the kind of love they showed?"
                              The article also got a nice follow up/promotion by Dime magazine.
                              Last edited by Just Is; Tue Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 PM.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                              X