Both elite a getting to the free throw line
    Both shoot low fieldgoal%
    Both volume shooters

DeRozan's season at the age of 24 = 18.4 PER, .532 TS%

Maggette's season at the age of 24 = 20.1 PER, .586 TS%
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

did corey peak at age 24?

Comment

At least give me credit, i made this comparison months ago whilst having a long, drawn out battle with he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Seriously tho, it is a spot on comparison for DD.

Comment

It's been said before, and it's not a bad comp, but I think Demar has a better mid-range game, has shown signs of being a better playmaker (higher assist % last year than Maggette ever achieved), and exerts more effort on defense. I remember Maggette being on a lot of bad teams... I think Demar has more drive and will to win. Ultimately, though, Maggette was a decent enough player who never made an all-star team. I think Demar can clearly surpass his ceiling with a few more years under his belt.

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
          did corey peak at age 24?
          He had a good, sustained peak of about 8 years where he was statistically good, at 17PER or better. I admittedly didn't watch a lot of him in his prime (Clippers were unwatchable for some of those years), but from what I've seen it's a decent comparison.

Comment

I have not watched a lot of corey's game but I remember him being a very good rebounder for his height he looked like a body builder and must have been very strong.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              It's been said before, and it's not a bad comp, but I think Demar has a better mid-range game, has shown signs of being a better playmaker (higher assist % last year than Maggette ever achieved), and exerts more effort on defense. I remember Maggette being on a lot of bad teams... I think Demar has more drive and will to win. Ultimately, though, Maggette was a decent enough player who never made an all-star team. I think Demar can clearly surpass his ceiling with a few more years under his belt.
              Demar has a better mid-range game
              Maggette in his best year shot 159/370 from midrange (43%). DeRozan last year took twice as many midrange jumpers and shot 39.6%. And has steadily gotten worse in terms of conversion percentage from midrange throughout his career thus far, so I don't know about better midrange.

I remember Maggette being on a lot of bad teams...
              To be fair, DeRozan has only been on one good team so far.

In the meantime, DD has yet to reach Maggette's elite level foul drawing (although he is very good, he's not near Maggette).

Anyway, Maggette plateaued big time after his 5th season, so the comparison, which is fairly solid I think, suggests that we've seen most of the improvement we will see from DD. But he's broken expectations like that before.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think it might be safer to say that SO FAR Demar's game has looked a lot like an early Maggette's
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  Maggette in his best year shot 159/370 from midrange (43%). DeRozan last year took twice as many midrange jumpers and shot 39.6%. And has steadily gotten worse in terms of conversion percentage from midrange throughout his career thus far, so I don't know about better midrange.
                  To be fair, DeRozan has only been on one good team so far.

In the meantime, DD has yet to reach Maggette's elite level foul drawing (although he is very good, he's not near Maggette).

Anyway, Maggette plateaued big time after his 5th season, so the comparison, which is fairly solid I think, suggests that we've seen most of the improvement we will see from DD. But he's broken expectations like that before.
                  the only way a player will plateau is if they stop working hard. dd will not plateau
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                    the only way a player will plateau is if they stop working hard. dd will not plateau
                    Statistically speaking, Jordan plateaued and was pretty steady from his 4th season to his final season (with some slight decline when he was really old at the end of his second championship streak). Did Jordan stop working hard?

Players simply have a limit to how effective they can be. It's no commentary on their work ethic if they reach their potential.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

As of right now, his game is kinda like Corey Maggette I hate to say it.

But Derozan's post game is promising, and as his handles get better, he will have a better feel for the game.
                      Derozan needs 2 of these things to become a bonafide star:

1. Elite post game
                      2. Great Defense
                      3. Better Handles
                      4. A good 3 point shot

Comment

When comparisons like this were made the past few seasons, those making them were often branded "haters".

What's important for DeRozan and this team isn't who he statistically compares to at present, but how he further develops from here. Also, it's critical that the organization does a better job of building a roster and game plan to take advantage of his strengths and minimize his weaknesses (while he also continues to work on improving those weaknesses), while surrounding him with complimentary pieces.

Personally, I still think this team needs a #1 type player. DeRozan is good and I think he can be built 'with', but I don't think he's a player to build 'around' (the way BC made the mistake of anointing Bosh and Bargnani as legit #1 guys). DeRozan, Lowry, Valanciunas and Ross are all capable of being/becoming great #2/#3 type players, but I still can't help but feel that this team desperately needs a #1, if they are to take the leap to become a perennial championship contender.

Comment

Ugh, simply put, stats don't define a player, but shooting stats alone, in a vacuum, don't come close.

To begin, how often is it said that stat stuffing on a bad team is not a good judge of a player's value? That Maggette played on a 27 win team (did defenses care to focus on him? why would they?), while DeMar played on a 48 win team, with every defense doubling him constantly, even with their best defender on him. Huge difference.

When going beyond shooting stats only, some differences are glaring, especially keeping in mind the 27/48 wins difference, and DeMar being relied upon so much in achieving those wins. Some differences that may reflect a difference in team success?

- while playing 2 more MPG, and taking 4 more FGAs, and creating 1 more AST, DeMar had fewer TOs amounting to 9.5% of the team's TOs, vs Maggette's 13.9%
                          - that 1 more AST per game is also reflected in AST%: DeMar 18.9, Maggette 15.8

Add Maggette's fewer steals, fewer blocks to those comparisons, and in DeMar you see a guy who contributed in more ways to a winning team than a guy who shot better for a bottom feeder. IMO, DeMar was a better player all around player at 24, and I'd bet my right nut that he'll continue to have a much better career, to say nothing of his team being able to rely upon him to play every game. By their fifth year, Maggette had missed 70-80 games (and it just got worse), while DeMar has missed 8 I think.

Comment

Some players remind you of other players but until this thread, Demar has never reminded me of Corey. That's because unlike Corey, Demar is very hardworking, selfless and a good team player. Yes the tangibles are similar but the intangibles are not.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

One other thing - DeMar did indeed have better defensive APM metrics than Maggette at the same stage in their careers.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                              X