ProBasketballReport.com: How TL chanaged Raps from losers to winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProBasketballReport.com: How TL chanaged Raps from losers to winners

“I have been told by everybody since I got here, you are not going to keep good players, you won’t get good players, you are not going to get a good President or GM,” Leiweke said. “No one likes to come here. They don’t like the weather. We can’t get ESPN. They don’t like the taxes. We are never going to win. So I am looking at them and going, no wonder why you all lose.”
    “We fired 14 people in one day and hired the best front office in the NBA today,” Leiweke said.

“When I went after the three people (to replace Colangelo), one was Phil Jackson, one was Masai (Ujiri) and everyone looked at me and said you are never going to get those guys here in Toronto.”

“No one thinks you can win in Toronto,” Leiweke told Ujiri. “You win there and you are literally the greatest executive in the history of the NBA. (Ujiri) says every day, we will win in Toronto.”
    “I think culture is everything,” Leiweke said. “If you look at the culture Masai has created with the Raptors and you look at the chip we developed on our shoulders, we took all that can’t, won’t, never happens, can’t win, no one wants to come here, everyone hates you, in the NBA you guys are an afterthought like Charlotte, you don’t even exist and that became We The North.”

“My compass, my direction is Jurassic Park. That’s what makes me happy. Yes I believe in Fuck Brooklyn because that was a defining moment for what we were trying to do as an organization.”

‘Fuck Brooklyn’ was no accident. It was a calculated move designed to inspire not just the fans, but the players and the organization as a whole.

“Believe me Masai was very calculated with what he said at the rally,” Leiweke said. “That did not come out by mistake. We talked about a moment in time where we needed a rally cry. I didn’t know he was going to drop the F-bomb (pause) I kind of had a feeling he was going to drop the F-bomb.”
    “We already had two of (our management team) offered GM jobs and they turned them down because they want to be here,” Leiweke said. “We kept all of our players this summer with Patrick Patterson, Vasquez and our wonderful point guard Kyle Lowry. All three got better offers but stayed here.”
    “Winning ultimately comes from people that are committed to being great, but they will be ferocious about whatever they got to do to win,” Leiweke said. “Masai is ferocious. Dwane Casey is ferocious. You got to have an attitude. You got to have a chip and I hope that is the one thing that I will leave behind.”

There is more in the article. Be sure to click:
    http://probballreport.com/how-tim-le...rs-to-winners/

Good stuff, just irks me to see him saying the same stuff everytime and in the meantime, acting completely opposite regarding to "no one whants to be here" quote. I do not take the credit away for what he has done here in just one year and I understand his "ultimate" dream, it's just that he did not really completed what he was supposed to bring, leaving it in current state is quite reckless and selfish. Of course, he wants to achieve more, be an entrepreneur, but if he's a wise man, he should know his lifetime goals better, he shouldn't just randomly decide to drop all his commitment to the franchise and success he achieved in ONE year. I wouldn't probably say anything if it would be at least 2/3 years. This resignation, just supports the naysayers and it's not part of the goal set by him (just my opinion).
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Ya all of these quotes came from his candid talk at that University. Was pretty eye opening.

With the foundation already layed, I'm sure a good executive will be able to take this thing and keep it going. No reason it all stops with TL leaving.

Comment

TL leaving makes me sad. I've heard all the comments about meaningless corporate talk and the players on the floor doing the winning, but there's a reason MLSE teams have been among the shittiest franchises in their respective leagues for years, and insights like this help you see how the losing starts at the top.

I hope the next CEO has similar balls and and championship hunger. I also hope we get out of this shitty corporate competitor co-ownership situation.

I love that he canned 14 negative nancies in one day. I love that front office staff wants to stay here just as much as the players do. That's how you set yourself up for long-term stability and success - listen to any Spurs player talk about that franchise's success, and they'll name ownership, the GM, the coach, and core players - I've heard them go through that list multiple times. Somebody please tell Tim Duncan it doesn't matter who's sitting in the office with a suit on...
        Last edited by S.R.; Wed Sep 24, 2014, 10:29 AM.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I really like what TL and MU have done, primarily trying to change the culture of the franchise, starting internally.

However, to play devil's advocate, there's no reason to believe [yet] that anything substantial has changed, in terms of perceptions.

1. Although they retained a couple free agents, they still haven't attracted any new big name free agents. Until they land a truly big fish, that myth has not been busted.

2. Watching TL walk out, after less than 2 of the 5 years on his contract, really steps on the point he himself is trying to make about the team having turned a corner in terms of being able to retain the big names. I don't really consider that myth busted yet either.

3. MU made a couple nice trades (Bargnani & Gay), which were done mainly from an 'addition by subtraction' standpoint, which wound up being much better than anybody (likely even MU himself) could have predicted. The core of this team is still BC's - DeRozan, Lowry, Valanciunas, Amir, Ross. The additions of Bruno and Bebe might prove just how shrewd MU is, or could prove to be horrendous in hindsight, but only time will tell.

I really think the true test of this 'culture change' will come throughout this season and, more importantly, next offseason and the following season. Once TL is gone and it's up to MU to lead the franchise, including into a potentially re-defining offseason, we'll all see how many of these long-perpetuated myths are actually busted.

My fingers are crossed and I'm hoping for the best, with a much more positive outlook heading into this season than I had heading into last season!
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Sep 24, 2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I would say the only thing Lieweke did (in terms of improving the Raptors) was hiring Ujiri.

All other accolades should fall on Ujiri's shoulders.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I would say the only thing Lieweke did (in terms of improving the Raptors) was hiring Ujiri.

All other accolades should fall on Ujiri's shoulders.
              I agree.

It is interesting the "F Brooklyn" quotes from TL. Essentially this was a cold calculated move by Masai that was planned and executed by Masai. I agree with Brotherston's end paragraph that, essentially, the Raptors should be OK as long as the MLSE Board stay out of his way.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                I agree.

It is interesting the "F Brooklyn" quotes from TL. Essentially this was a cold calculated move by Masai that was planned and executed by Masai. I agree with Brotherston's end paragraph that, essentially, the Raptors should be OK as long as the MLSE Board stay out of his way.
                Bolded is fact.

I still believe that TL is leaving (or sped up the process) in great part because of dysfunction on the board. He probably got turned down on some other initiatives. If one just views the inherent complexity of the two largest media & communications empires in Canada playing in the same sandbox with the same sports properties and one of them (Rogers) just got a leg up on NHL/Leafs content on their systems alongwith sole ownership & content of the Blue Jays...it is not inconceivable that there are some serious jealousy bouts being displayed. He probably got tired of having to schmooze the parties to make nice. Wish one were to bow out but I think the properties are too lucrative to give up on for either. And so, ownership continues to be an issue I think.

Comment

Going to miss Tim.. and that's because we haven't had a guy like that in control of the team for ever. I just hope the next 'owner' doesn't cause Masai to become disgruntled.. Nothing worse than having a GM do things because their owner demands it and not because it's the right call.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I really like what TL and MU have done, primarily trying to change the culture of the franchise, starting internally.

However, to play devil's advocate, there's no reason to believe [yet] that anything substantial has changed, in terms of perceptions.

1. Although they retained a couple free agents, they still haven't attracted any new big name free agents. Until they land a truly big fish, that myth has not been busted.

2. Watching TL walk out, after less than 2 of the 5 years on his contract, really steps on the point he himself is trying to make about the team having turned a corner in terms of being able to retain the big names. I don't really consider that myth busted yet either.

3. MU made a couple nice trades (Bargnani & Gay), which were done mainly from an 'addition by subtraction' standpoint, which wound up being much better than anybody (likely even MU himself) could have predicted. The core of this team is still BC's - DeRozan, Lowry, Valanciunas, Amir, Ross. The additions of Bruno and Bebe might prove just how shrewd MU is, or could prove to be horrendous in hindsight, but only time will tell.

I really think the true test of this 'culture change' will come throughout this season and, more importantly, next offseason and the following season. Once TL is gone and it's up to MU to lead the franchise, including into a potentially re-defining offseason, we'll all see how many of these long-perpetuated myths are actually busted.

My fingers are crossed and I'm hoping for the best, with a much more positive outlook heading into this season than I had heading into last season!
                    I can't see how the Bebe trade could be bad, because we got value for Salmons.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                      I can't see how the Bebe trade could be bad, because we got value for Salmons.
                      Salmons could be training with mj right now and start dropping 30 a night next year leading the pelllis to the promised land...but that will never happen

There is not really any negative to that trade. The worst that could happen is bebe becoming a bust and Williams struggling to get his shot back. It's not like we were going to use that cap space this year on anyone else. Three no way of losing this deal
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

This is the part of the article that is disturbing...

“For those that are wondering why I have already announced that I am leaving after only 17 months,” Leiweke told a group of students at Ryerson. “(It’s) because that was always my plan. We had an agreement within my partnership with the owners here that after two years I could go pursue my dream and go build my own company.”
                        All that stuff he spewed about "... championships are what we live for..." sounds like huge load of horse-crap now. Seems more like MLSE was just a stop along the road for TL to collect a nice paycheck for 2 years, while waiting out his US non-compete.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          This is the part of the article that is disturbing...

All that stuff he spewed about "... championships are what we live for..." sounds like huge load of horse-crap now. Seems more like MLSE was just a stop along the road for TL to collect a nice paycheck for 2 years, while waiting out his US non-compete.
                          Don't care...he was still the catalyst for change that was desperately needed. I am willing to look the other way.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            Don't care...he was still the catalyst for change that was desperately needed. I am willing to look the other way.
                            His best move was dumping BC and hiring Masai. So, if you give TL credit for hiring Masai, then you've got to give MLSE credit for hiring TL, which makes MLSE the real initial catalyst for change, unlikely as it seems.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              "We already had two of (our management team) offered GM jobs and they turned them down because they want to be here,” Leiweke said. “We kept all of our players this summer with Patrick Patterson, Vasquez and our wonderful point guard Kyle Lowry. All three got better offers but stayed here.”

There is more in the article. Be sure to click:
                              http://probballreport.com/how-tim-le...rs-to-winners/
                              Who's he referring to here?^

Comment

Working...
                              X