No announcement yet.

Tyler Ennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add fuel to the fire: the Suns have just signed Zoran Dragic (Goran's little brother); he was being chased by a lot of teams and the Suns got him, partially for him and partially to make Goran happy. Zoran's a shooting guard, so now Tyler Ennis is, at best, fifth in backcourt priority. He's barely going to get minutes now.

Comment

I feel kinda bad for him.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Maybe in two years. We don't need him at this point. I mean, he'll be 3rd stringer here as well - no minutes. And I'm not comfortable giving up Lou Williams for someone who has yet to play a game in the NBA. I'd rather we go after a reliable back up center/ better SF.

It would be nice to have him, but we don't really need him, so it doesn't matter.

Now if Williams doesn't work out, then yeah maybe...

Comment

There are a lot of question marks with Ennis like can he guard in man to man defense and will he be able to develop a consistent jump shot and does he have the jets to play at the NBA pace? I get that Tyler is well liked and comes from a good family and grew up watching the Raptors, but those aren't qualifications for the job.
          Last edited by stretch; Fri Sep 26, 2014, 12:20 AM.

Comment

It's interesting what's happened in Phoenix, almost like Mcdonough was too smart for his own good. That roster is so unbalanced I can't help but see them struggling for eighth for the foreseeable future, unless they can convert their assets into another star.

I wish we could've gotten Ennis before we solidified our own roster, but if he came here there just wouldn't be minutes for him, at least not until Greivis leaves town.

Comment

Scraptor & Mack 11 wrote: View Post
              It's interesting what's happened in Phoenix, almost like Mcdonough was too smart for his own good. That roster is so unbalanced I can't help but see them struggling for eighth for the foreseeable future, unless they can convert their assets into another star.

I wish we could've gotten Ennis before we solidified our own roster, but if he came here there just wouldn't be minutes for him, at least not until Greivis leaves town.
              Mack11 that is a good old fashioned basketball trade there. Really tough call on that one as its talent for talent. I think Phoenix goes for it as they get a wing player that is a known commoditity and they don't weaken themsevles at all at the G position as they have real depth there. TJ Warren would replace Ross. So its a known commodity with upside vs potential. Tough call so great question.

Scraptor... Agree that a trade has to come unless the Suns are going to run a college offense with 3 guards and just two mobile bigs and try to run teams off the court. Ya never know but logic says one of Bledsoe / Dragic / Thomas has to go and they keep Ennis to backfill who ever leaves. If they don't it sure makes for a curious pick at 18 when you can't utilize your asset.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

I really don't see the point of trading for Ennis or any other PG unless we are moving GV in the process. A 3rd string PG doesn't really benefit this team.

Also, I'm not convinced that Ennis is really that good of a prospect. Not a great athlete, not a very good shooter, good passer but not someone who's going to really pressure the defence. His size/athleticism reminds me of Austin Rivers, while his game (non-shooting pass first) reminds me of Ricky Rubio, but with better finishing at the rim and downgrade in passing.

The number of non-shooting PG's that have been successful is pretty small unless they can defend (Rondo), or attack the rim (Westbrook). Jason Kidd was the rare exception but he combined great rebounding, court vision and passing until he developed a decent shot later on into his career. Can Ennis follow that path? I'm really not sure. I'm not going as far to say that Ennis will be a bust, but I doubt that he'll be a great starting PG in this league. I suspect he'll be a low end starter or very good back-up (much like GV).
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  I really don't see the point of trading for Ennis or any other PG unless we are moving GV in the process. A 3rd string PG doesn't really benefit this team.
                  This. I don't really understand the logic here. It seems to say, "Hey! Phoenix has a log jam at the point! Let's give them one of our valuable assets in an area with little depth (SF) so that WE can have a logjam at the point!"

Also, didn't that Lowry article talk about how thrilled he was that we showed our trust in him? Isn't it a bit of a mixed message if we then trade for a point guard and dub him our future point guard?

We have a good thing going with Lowry and GV. I say leave it alone.

Comment

The reason most of us want to trade for Ennis is because we believe he's a quality PG and also we would like to groom a young PG for the future when Klow starts to decline. Vasquez as good as he is I don't want to give him a starting job here in Raptor land.
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Ennis was the guy I wanted to draft at 20. Really appreciate PG's that have intelligence and can prove to be clutch. Would love to see a guy like him developing for the Raptors long term.

Someone above meant logjam at PG.. unless if Will Cherry gets the nod over Stiemsma, I don't think the Raptors have that much depth at the PG position. GV is absolutely not the long term answer at PG.

I'm not trading Ross for him though.. the Raptors have tradeable assets but the Suns don't need cap space and that's really what the Raptors can offer with all their expiring contracts. And with 15 roster spots filled.. any trade would require at least one asset going back. Difficult to see how a trade can be made unless if a 3rd team is brought in.. and then it starts becoming complicated.

Comment

Ennis would be a great prospect to pick up, but not at the cost of a player like Ross.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          The reason most of us want to trade for Ennis is because he's Canadian.
                          Fixed that for you

Comment

I like Ennis but the time has passed on all that.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                              Fixed that for you
                              Why you changing what I said? ?
                              When have I ever said that the only reason I want Ennis is because he's Canadian?
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I could see a multi-team trade being made at the deadline with Lou Williams going out, Ennis coming in, and some prospect/pick going to Phoenix (Toronto would likely have to take back another player to balance salaries).

With Vasquez being able to play both PG and SG, and Williams an expiring contract, I think Ennis would be a good 3rd PG to develop on the roster; remember, MU likes stacking at each position, with a young guy as the 3rd stringer.

If I'm MU, I certainly wouldn't give up too much of value (ie: good young player or 1st round pick) for Ennis at this point. Any of the depth fodder, such as Williams, Hansbrough, Hayes, Fields (for their expiring contract), etc... would be fine. I'd even give up a 2nd round pick as part of such a deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X