No announcement yet.

Raptors to honour Jalen Rose & others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to list guys I think deserved to be honoured just makes me sad. Such shitty lists lol Wait till Lowry and DeRozan retire, then we can honour some players.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      Btw, if its up to me there's only 5 players that deserves to be recognized and 2 of them are still active(Carter & Bosh). The other 3? Damon, Oakley and Davis. That's it.
      How come everytime Bosh speaks he seems to annoy me ... I do think Bosh has no memory of ever playing in Toronto ... Toward the end of this Heat Contract I do think his legacy will be a player with a contract they can't get rid of ..

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
        Where's Bargnani rank here?!?
        Just ahead of the great Rafael Arujo
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I don't even get why people like to throw Damon in there. He was the first person to give up on the franchise. He played like a selfish young wannabe star while he was here and left in a way where we were extremely lucky we got anything for him. He didn't lead this franchise to any success, wasn't a high character guy, didn't do much in the city, and basically probably never saw it as more than a chance to put up stats and find a way out as soon as possible.

I see no reason to honour him....because he was the team's first pick? Because he was our best player when we were a dreadful expansion team? No thanks.

*List of guys I'd honour before Damon (inactive guys)...Mo Pete, Davis, Oakley, Willis, Dell Curry, Muggsy Bogues, Doug Christie, Alvin Williams, Anthony Parker, heck maybe even Rasho too...Give me winners and leaders over chuckers any day.
          I kinda agree with you but would still include Damon because, until last year, he was the best PG we ever had (statistically speaking). But like you said, Damon didn't wear the franchise proudly and got out ASAP, so there are lots of players that deserve it ahead of him.

I figure they should do 20 Years of History, the people who impacted the team the best/most get honoured, each getting their own night. Our history isn't the best, but it is ours; so I say celebrate it anyway.

I'd like to see a full ceremony for retired guys and maybe a pregame presentation for the active guys when they are in town. Assuming it's spread it over the season, my list to honour would be (in rough order of deserving):

Active
          Vince, Bosh, Jose

Retired
          Mo Pete, Alvin Williams, Antonio Davis, Parker, Rose, Oakley, Damon, T-Mac, Garbo, Christie, JYD, Mugsey, Mark Jackson

Coaches / front office
          S'Mitch, Butch, Wayne Embry.

I'd also have a special night for last years team, as they are the high water mark for success. This would likely be opening night. But if you include last years team, that's 20 people for 20 years.

For the ceremony itself, I'd say video of the player's accomplishments and highlights. Followed by presenting them a custom Raptors "20 Year" jacket or something, and then perhaps a framed photo/painting of the player. For retired players, let them have a speech for the fans. Assuming it all goes down at halftime, Vince/Bosh/Jose would have to settle for a pre-game short vid and presentation.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Another good candidate is the entire inaugural season roster, that would include Damon, Christie and Tracy Murray (another name I thought to add) anyway.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              Trying to list guys I think deserved to be honoured just makes me sad. Such shitty lists lol Wait till Lowry and DeRozan retire, then we can honour some players.
              Exactly.

Pretty arbitrary to decide you'll honour 5 or 10 guys, then try to figure out who those 5 or 10 guys are. They aren't worth being honoured - you're just coming up with names because you've already made the decision to do it.

Question to ask first - are there 10 players worth honouring?
              Answer - No
              Solution - Figure out some other way to celebrate the first 19 seasons, because trotting out some of these guys and insinuating they're "franchise greats" will be an exercise in masochism, not a celebration.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                Exactly.

Pretty arbitrary to decide you'll honour 5 or 10 guys, then try to figure out who those 5 or 10 guys are. They aren't worth being honoured - you're just coming up with names because you've already made the decision to do it.

Question to ask first - are there 10 players worth honouring?
                Answer - No
                Solution - Figure out some other way to celebrate the first 19 seasons, because trotting out some of these guys and insinuating they're "franchise greats" will be an exercise in masochism, not a celebration.
                lol, I'm with you. I shudder to think some of the guys they may trot out. Though short of having "greats" to celebrate, I'd focus on guys who reflect what is being built now: character, team guys who put it on the line every game. That would be a short list. Oakley, Christie, Alvin, Jose, Garbo, ???

Edit: Yup, slipped up omitting Mo_Pete.
                Last edited by chico; Wed Oct 8, 2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I think Garbo didn't play long enough for him to qualify and Mo Pete definitely has a spot on that list, but otherwise I certainly agree with the concept. Border line players would be Donyell Marshall, Jalen Rose and Anthony Parker, even more border line then would be Rasho and Ford, but that's about it.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                    I think Garbo didn't play long enough for him to qualify and Mo Pete definitely has a spot on that list, but otherwise I certainly agree with the concept. Border line players would be Donyell Marshall, Jalen Rose and Anthony Parker, even more border line then would be Rasho and Ford, but that's about it.
                    Rasho? Lol why?
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                      Honour him for what? lol.
                      You can flip it the other way and say that he came here and wasted the twilight of his career on a crap team going nowhere.

J put up some big games as a Raptor, too bad he was playing mostly with a bunch of hacks.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                        The reason I didn't include Davis is 'cause of his attitude. He whined his way out of town. I know Carter did the same, but he's Vince Carter.
                        Davis was willing to come back though, so that should be worth something, he could have pulled an Alonzo on us, but chose to come back, I know he came back late, but that was because he needed some time to clear his head after coming back from a suspension where he ran into the stands.

I care more about guys who help the team win than replaceable fan-favorites like Mo-Pete.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                          Helping let Kobe get 81?

Lol..so true brother.

Only old school raptors that I love watching was Oak man,Charles Oakley.
                          I miss that kind of basketball, not only he was tough as nails,but always enjoyed listening him,his quotes were awesome

P.S

Mugsy was pretty cool,also.
                          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                            I care more about guys who help the team win than replaceable fan-favorites like Mo-Pete.
                            Right....since you clearly know nothing of our team's history; here's a quick lesson.

Mo Pete is the Raptors all-time leader in games played and 3PFG (attempted and made).
                            He is 2nd all-time in Minutes Played and Steals.
                            He is 4th all-time in FG made, Defensive Rebounds, Points and Win Shares (Offensive, Defensive and Combined).
                            He is 5th all-time in Offensive Rebounds, 6th in Free Throws, 6th in Total Rebounds, 8th in Assists.

He was 1st Team All-NBA Rookie, and is the Franchise Leader in Playoff Games Played. He also played in 371 consecutive games, so he's the franchise's ironman record holder.

So how is he just a fan favourite and replaceable?

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Right....since you clearly know nothing of our team's history; here's a quick lesson.

Mo Pete is the Raptors all-time leader in games played and 3PFG (attempted and made).
                              He is 2nd all-time in Minutes Played and Steals.
                              He is 4th all-time in FG made, Defensive Rebounds, Points and Win Shares (Offensive, Defensive and Combined).
                              He is 5th all-time in Offensive Rebounds, 6th in Free Throws, 6th in Total Rebounds, 8th in Assists.

He was 1st Team All-NBA Rookie, and is the Franchise Leader in Playoff Games Played. He also played in 371 consecutive games, so he's the franchise's ironman record holder.

So how is he just a fan favourite and replaceable?
                              He's also one of the few players that when I think about, I think of as a Raptor.

Guys like VC (Nets), McGrady (Orlando/Houston) and Oakley (Knicks) had their 'glory days' elsewhere. I think franchise greats should be players that are widely associated with the franchise in question - the Raps have very few of these. It's also why I still consider Mighty Mouse a borderline all-time Raptor great, despite the way he left, because he helped put the brand new franchise on the NBA map.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                He's also one of the few players that when I think about, I think of as a Raptor.

Guys like VC (Nets), McGrady (Orlando/Houston) and Oakley (Knicks) had their 'glory days' elsewhere. I think franchise greats should be players that are widely associated with the franchise in question - the Raps have very few of these. It's also why I still consider Mighty Mouse a borderline all-time Raptor great, despite the way he left, because he helped put the brand new franchise on the NBA map.
                                True, his career was 90% Raptors and was probably our best ever draft pick (in terms of value for the draft slot).

For all the "Demar loves Toronto" fanfare, Mo Pete was the original "loves Toronto" guy. This guy IS the Toronto Raptors.

Comment

Working...
                                X