Preseason Game #2: Toronto Raptors 106 - Sacramento Kings 113

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    While the rhetoric may include a little too much hyperbole, I think it would be equally narrow-minded to simply use win/loss record to determine the quality of coaching. Sometimes a team performs a certain way because of their coach, while other times they perform a certain way in spite of their coach.

While the claims made in this thread may have been vague, there have been no shortage of specific games/crucial moments where DC's coaching abilities were undeniably called into question (you don't need to think back further than the last play of game 7, when he drew up the play for the wrong side of the court).

I personally think DC is a great leader & motivator. I also think he's a great defensive coordinator type coach. As a head coach, I think he's average at best. That doesn't mean I'd go out and fire him, but I don't think he's beyond reproach either.
    It's not just about win/loss record, and if the "sometimes ....... in spite of their coach" was the least bit relevant, would MU have moved quickly to re-sign him, and KL, GV, PP lined up to re-sign to play for him? Though your statement may be true, there's zero evidence that it applies here, but lots of evidence that it doesn't.

Nobody is beyond reproach. Watch enough Spurs games and even some of Pop's moves are questionable, and some don't work out. Perceptions of a few game moves, lacking knowledge of what went into such decisions, hardly comes close to justifying calling him dumb/moron, or even stating that the last thing he warrants is any benefit of doubt in 2nd preseason game moves.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      While the claims made in this thread may have been vague, there have been no shortage of specific games/crucial moments where DC's coaching abilities were undeniably called into question (you don't need to think back further than the last play of game 7, when he drew up the play for the wrong side of the court).
      Other than the game 7 blunder and the hockey substitutions. There's not really anything else that make you question about his coaching ability. And the game 7 thing isn't just his fault. The entire coaching staff and the players thought the ball was being inbounded from there. He gets too much blame for that. It was a very high stress situation and when the entire team fucked it up, I can't really blame Casey on that one.

If you ask anyone in the organization including the players, they all have only good things to say about him. Even james johnson came back to play under him and lowry chose him over mchale.

Casey hate is like dd hate, sometimes it doesn't make sense...
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        Other than the game 7 blunder and the hockey substitutions. There's not really anything else that make you question about his coaching ability. And the game 7 thing isn't just his fault. The entire coaching staff and the players thought the ball was being inbounded from there. He gets too much blame for that. It was a very high stress situation and when the entire team fucked it up, I can't really blame Casey on that one.

If you ask anyone in the organization including the players, they all have only good things to say about him. Even james johnson came back to play under him and lowry chose him over mchale.

Casey hate is like dd hate, sometimes it doesn't make sense...
        Yes there are. It doesn't make him a bad coach, but he has his weaknesses.

The game 7 blunder was the culmination of a long history of failed inbounds/out-of-timeout plays. He's been pretty terrible at drawing up plays his whole tenure here. It doesn't make him a bad coach, but it is a weakness and one that can be critical, as we've seen.

And then there's the fact that as a tactician, he's far stronger on the defensive side than on the offensive side. I'm hoping with the roster set from training camp, Nurse (who I assume still has the most offensive responsibilities from the assistants) and he are able to improve upon what they started on last year (post-trade with no training camp). The O wasn't great, but it at least looked a lot better than his first 2 years. So I'm really that continues on an upward trend. And saying Nurse will hopefully have a positive impact isn't a slight on Casey. After all, Casey was a key defensive assistant for a championship team, and he's a smart humble dude, so I'm sure if Nurse can help improve things even more, Casey will let him.

Still, it's the first weakness that worries me the most, with the poorly drawn up plays.

*On rotations (ie hockey substitutions), I'm eager to see what this year is like, with the depth the team has, how Casey handles substitution patterns. It was always frustrating with the young players (JV and Ross), but in general the team had such crappy depth that it was hard to say what he could've done better.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Oct 9, 2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Nothing else makes you question his coaching?

No one else remembers him deciding not to foul when down one and with 26 seconds left? Thinking his team could get a stop, grab a rebound, call a timeout, and run a play to score in the remaining two seconds, when anyone who has ever watched a basketball possession knows full well that you can easily run the entire 26 seconds off just by hitting rim on a last second shot attempt?

That's one vivid example, but there have been loads of shot clock, strategic, rotation, substitution, in-bounds, etc problems through his first three years here.

So, no, on a decision by decision basis, I am not going to give Casey the benefit of the doubt.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Nothing else makes you question his coaching?

No one else remembers him deciding not to foul when down one and with 26 seconds left? Thinking his team could get a stop, grab a rebound, call a timeout, and run a play to score in the remaining two seconds, when anyone who has ever watched a basketball possession knows full well that you can easily run the entire 26 seconds off just by hitting rim on a last second shot attempt?

That's one vivid example, but there have been loads of shot clock, strategic, rotation, substitution, in-bounds, etc problems through his first three years here.

So, no, on a decision by decision basis, I am not going to give Casey the benefit of the doubt.
            I nearly threw my remote at the tv that day. Most frustrated ive ever been as a raptors fan.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Nothing else makes you question his coaching?

I vaguely remember this, which game was it? I probably blocked it from my mind.
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                I vaguely remember this, which game was it? I probably blocked it from my mind.
                We were playing the bobcats
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                X