Raptors Rebrand Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock up's

Chris Creamer has seen the raptors jerseys, hes described them. A user over at his site mocked up the most accurate one yet, Which was posted earlier. See Chris' description below:

"I finally was able to get a look at the actual Raptors uniforms recently.

Here's what I can confirm, just from memory
    - four uniforms
    - white home, red road, black alternate, black/gold "drake" alternate
    - all four uniforms follow the exact same template, just the colours are changed around
    - all four jerseys say "RAPTORS" across the front, none say "TORONTO"
    - the jersey wordmarks leaked earlier are legit, that very basic block font
    - number font is nothing I've seen used before (you really see it in the number "4") but still "blockish" in general
    - the ball/claw logo is on the side of the shorts
    - the trim on the side of the jerseys are broken up by two horizontal stripes close to the armpits, a nod to their current jersey design

What I'm still unsure about:
    - while my source told me there is a small logo under the numbers, the versions I saw did not have this logo

I'll try and get some mockups put together, probably for an article on the site"

These aren't concrete just a mock up of what he has seen and described.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
      This isn't aimed at you MixxAOR because you stated you like the Raps as a dino, but more to the general public.

There's no Tigers in Detroit, Pirates in Pittsburgh, Bears/Cubs in Chicago, Giants in NY or SF... I think you get where I'm going with this. It's a team name, and most franchises(new and old) like to have a name as something mighty, powerful, etc if you can. Some names like the 76ers, 49ers.. what the hell are those? They're based on time periods and things that happened in those time periods... wooooo, big whoop. I dunno... I've heard your point raised by others many times, but who gives a shit if it's a territorial thing, it doesn't matter. Granted, the names I've mentioned are very nostalgic teams that have been around for ages, but there's no difference to me, they've all got pretty cool names.

Let's stick with Raptors as a dinosaur and have the team create a legacy of their own. I'm all in. #bringbackthedino and I don't exactly mean the Barney one we're used to. Nothing like this one though:
      Agreed, having the unique name is more important to me than historical accuracy (but for the record, there is a higher chance of their being Raptors in Toronto than Giants in San Francisco/New York - we can't pretend to know everything about life in the cretaceous/jurassic/triassic periods).

Personally, I think the team completely missed the boat on this. They had a chance to move towards a fierce exciting concept that would have stood out due to the uniqueness of the team name, but instead went for a bland, unoriginal concept that does not stand out in anyway.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        I like the watermelon shirt, that cap looks like a $5 little league cap....
        I think this cap's ugliness is less to do with the logo, and more to do with just a poor layout.

This one looks less little league-ish:

Comment

• vc15ap18 wrote: View Post
          Chris Creamer has seen the raptors jerseys, hes described them. A user over at his site mocked up the most accurate one yet, Which was posted earlier. See Chris' description below:

"I finally was able to get a look at the actual Raptors uniforms recently.

Here's what I can confirm, just from memory
          - four uniforms
          - white home, red road, black alternate, black/gold "drake" alternate
          - all four uniforms follow the exact same template, just the colours are changed around
          - all four jerseys say "RAPTORS" across the front, none say "TORONTO"
          - the jersey wordmarks leaked earlier are legit, that very basic block font
          - number font is nothing I've seen used before (you really see it in the number "4") but still "blockish" in general
          - the ball/claw logo is on the side of the shorts
          - the trim on the side of the jerseys are broken up by two horizontal stripes close to the armpits, a nod to their current jersey design

What I'm still unsure about:
          - while my source told me there is a small logo under the numbers, the versions I saw did not have this logo

I'll try and get some mockups put together, probably for an article on the site"

These aren't concrete just a mock up of what he has seen and described.
          I like the mockup with way less thick stripes on the side of the shorts and jersey. These huge thick ones look like crap. Also pretty sure the black alternate won't have gold, only the drake alternate.

They should just release the jersey designs to temporarily distract us from the fact Casey is coming back.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Agreed, having the unique name is more important to me than historical accuracy (but for the record, there is a higher chance of their being Raptors in Toronto than Giants in San Francisco/New York - we can't pretend to know everything about life in the cretaceous/jurassic/triassic periods).

Personally, I think the team completely missed the boat on this. They had a chance to move towards a fierce exciting concept that would have stood out due to the uniqueness of the team name, but instead went for a bland, unoriginal concept that does not stand out in anyway.

We had a unique logo and it looked stupid. I would have been cool with something similar to the new bucks logo, but replace the buck with a raptor, but I'm also more than ok with the current logo. They have to include a basketball, and the new logo is the best raptor logo at achieving that, as I'm not a fan of the current claw basketball.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              We had a unique logo and it looked stupid. I would have been cool with something similar to the new bucks logo, but replace the buck with a raptor, but I'm also more than ok with the current logo. They have to include a basketball, and the new logo is the best raptor logo at achieving that, as I'm not a fan of the current claw basketball.
              Only one logo (not necessarily the primary) needs the basketball though. Opens up a wealth of options.

My post was also more referring to the idea that some people want the name change or to be more in line with other logos. Personally, being unique is better than being bland.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                Only one logo (not necessarily the primary) needs the basketball though. Opens up a wealth of options.

My post was also more referring to the idea that some people want the name change or to be more in line with other logos. Personally, being unique is better than being bland.
                My beef isn't with unique vs. bland, it about good design vs. bad design. I'm totally fine with simple, minimalist design like Brooklyn's. That's my preference, given the choice. When this is done well, it has that classic, timeless feel. When it isn't, it's bland - and it seems like this is what the Raps have gone with.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• holy shit those unis look terrible
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Why can't we have purple as our alternate? That would be awesome.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      They have to include a basketball
                      Why?

That's like when girls tattoo their names on their body. In case you suddenly forget?

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        These are beautiful, why use new jerseys that look similar to our current ones, theyre horrific

Comment

• Well, Ujiri did say two things:

1. The jerseys would look nothing like Brooklyn's.

2. The jerseys would be very similar to the previous design.

So am I shocked that mock-up is the closest? Nope.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                            Well, Ujiri did say two things:

1. The jerseys would look nothing like Brooklyn's.

2. The jerseys would be very similar to the previous design.

So am I shocked that mock-up is the closest? Nope.
                            When did he say that?

This whole rebrand seems so anti-climactic.
                            Like, those mock ups are basically the exact same fucking jerseys we have now, except with the watermelon on the side.
                            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• The Toronto Watermelons
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                When did he say that?

This whole rebrand seems so anti-climactic.
                                Like, those mock ups are basically the exact same fucking jerseys we have now, except with the watermelon on the side.
                                If you go back to the beginning of this thread, they said the major change was that we'd see RAPTORS on the jerseys instead of TORONTO. It's made me think that this isn't gonna be a full on redesign but more of a tweak.
                                Axel wrote:
                                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                                KeonClark wrote:
                                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                                KeonClark wrote:
                                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Working...
                                X