Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke Potential Replacement from NHL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Leiweke Potential Replacement from NHL?

According to Darren Dreger of TSN, MLSE is apparently looking at the COO of the NHL, John Collins:

This from theScore:

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment have targeted NHL chief operating officer John Collins as a potential successor to president Tim Leiweke, according to TSN's Darren Dreger.

MLSE has reportedly requested contact with the high-profile executive and are deep into the process of finding a replacement.

Dreger notes that Collins has brought significant business ventures to the league and wants to complete the projects he has on the go before pursuing a new endeavor.
    I don't know anything about him, but the fact that MLSE is looking towards the NHL for a potential replacement worries me. Leiweke put the Raptors first in Toronto, how drastic a difference would Collins be?

To Google, Raptor fans!
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Leiweke didn't put the Raptors first. Making the playoffs out them a bit further ahead but they're still not first.

MLSE will favour whatever venture is making them money or has the potential to make them the most money. Their next "Leiweke" will be required to do the same.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

As long as the new CEO lets and enables Masai to do his thing, I don't really care who is in charge.

TL was all about asking Masai what he needed to win. I don't think Masai needs motivation. He knows what he wants to do and has his sights set on ultimate prize.

Comment

It doesn't matter who MLSE hires to fix the Leafs. They'll always be the league's doormat.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          It doesn't matter who MLSE hires to fix the Leafs. They'll always be the league's doormat.
          If the Clippers and Kansas City Royals can become relevant again, so can the Leafs.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            If the Clippers and Kansas City Royals can become relevant again, so can the Leafs.
            Well ya, anything's possible. I mean, I could win $30 million tomorrow

Comment

The Leafs (NHL) are a hard-capped entity while the Raptors are soft-capped. Not much favouritsm possible in the directions of monies rethe Leafs. In any case even TL had to go to the board for extraordinary funding. Truth be known TFC probably gets more of a nod from a handholding/funding viewpoint.

Assume Collins was the frontman negotiating the mammoth broadcast deal with Rogers. I dont know that Bell was very pleased with that outcome. So....
              Last edited by Bendit; Thu Oct 9, 2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

Were talking about the Leafs here
                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Same MLSE Bullsh#

Shantz wrote: View Post
                  According to Darren Dreger of TSN, MLSE is apparently looking at the COO of the NHL, John Collins:

This from theScore:
                  I don't know anything about him, but the fact that MLSE is looking towards the NHL for a potential replacement worries me. Leiweke put the Raptors first in Toronto, how drastic a difference would Collins be?

To Google, Raptor fans!
                  THIS is one of the major factors why as fans we have one of the absolute worst owners in professional sports. Their decision-making is the same chronically dysfunctional process that has hamstrung their franchises for decades. Make a buck, who cares if your team sucks. A truly unique Canadian culture.

Comment

Not true. If MLSE truly favoured ventures that made them money the NBA franchise would have the lion's share of the focus. Especially with that new $24-billion television rights deal funneling fresh $'s into their pockets. Instead, the focus is on pucks which makes less than hoops.

Comment

ghotte wrote: View Post
                      Not true. If MLSE truly favoured ventures that made them money the NBA franchise would have the lion's share of the focus. Especially with that new $24-billion television rights deal funneling fresh $'s into their pockets. Instead, the focus is on pucks which makes less than hoops.
                      I'd be willing to bet that they get substantially more advertising dollars during hockey games than they do during basketball games, which is based on consistent viewership numbers. MLSE gets their share of the NBA revenue regardless of how they prioritize their franchise management or TV management.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post

This from theScore:

To Google, Raptor fans!
                        Another Suit. Boy would I love to sit in on MLSE board meetings. We have too many suits period! We need one owner .,..yes I know it won't happen. I really wonder what transpired at those board meetings with Leweike.

Comment

ghotte wrote: View Post
                          THIS is one of the major factors why as fans we have one of the absolute worst owners in professional sports. Their decision-making is the same chronically dysfunctional process that has hamstrung their franchises for decades. Make a buck, who cares if your team sucks. A truly unique Canadian culture.
                          Ditto. I vote for McHappy to take over!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

Until we rid ourselves of all the suits it will never change. When the Leafs are run as a business first it is hard to overcome that culture of business first.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              Until we rid ourselves of all the suits it will never change. When the Leafs are run as a business first it is hard to overcome that culture of business first.
                              Leiweke seemed intent to balance profit-making with putting a winning product on the court/field/rink/store rather than just a skew toward business. BMO Field expansion, new practice facilities, NBDL farm team, new Pucks President. That entailed spending some money to right the ship first then building up from there.

(Notice how Leiweke cleaned house of all the old guard. Blew up the ship!)

Now? Looks like entrenched institutional thinking has again won the day and a reversal to the old days in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X